BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience issues with there front brakes on my base model 08 r12r bike pulling the front brakes I seem to be getting a fluctuation from front wheel. so coming to a stand still isn't very smooth. From a high speed the issue isn't there until about 50 mph is this just as the bike was made because never havin a abs system before I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Braking should be smooth all the way down to a standstill unless you grab the brakes so hard the ABS cuts in and that would have to be pretty hard!!! Difficult to test but are the discs true as even slightly warped discs would cause uneven braking?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only just got this bike, it does say on last MOT (anual test certificate) front brake slight fluctuation on brake effort. I dont usually snatch at the front brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Does the front wheel spin freely when the bike's on the centre stand?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the front wheel spin freely when the bike's on the centre stand?
Just checked Dave also checked to see if disc are warp nope and plenty left on pads which are pushed out same each side.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Any chance that a weight has fallen off the rim? Although I'm not sure if that would give your braking symptoms? Sorry but that's about the sum total of my knowledge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for your imput Dave I've googled it and theres **** loads lol will see wot my stealership says, not got my other bike yet so dont wanna be without a bike even in this weather.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Brakes don't "warp' so much as the pads friction surface is uneven. I assume this is a street bike, and as such, I doubt you've over heated your open-air rotors to the point that you've bent/warped the rotors. "Warping" is a term that's been taken from the racing community to misdiagnose the issue. Sometimes residue from the friction pad will coat/crystalize on the surface of the rotor in spots, which will result in a pulsating senstation as the pad bites on the rotor in some areas and slips on the smoothed surface on others.

When was the brake fluid flushed? I'm not talking just bled, I mean the entire fluid replaced with new fluid... I would start with new fluid and see if that helps, as that's the cheapest and easiest thing to do (especially if your current pads are in good shape). Air/moisture in the lines can result in poor braking feedback. If this does not solve the problem, then move on to the next item, which would be brake pads. As you install brake pads, inspect the rotors for even thickness/wear. Measure the rotors in multiple locations (I usually do 3 or 4 spots evenly spaced) and make sure the rotors are still within manufacture tollerances.

I recommend EBC Double-H Sintered Pads. Great bike cold, even better hot. I daily ride my R12R and these pads are exceptional in the rain, hot, and cold days. And they are holding up quite well in terms of wear/life. For fluid, I highly recommend Motul 600 brake fluid or ATE Super Blue.

Brakes aren't complicated systems. If braking gives you issues, there's only so much that could be the culprit. I've seen people ruin new pads and/or need resurfaced/new rotors because of improper brake pad bedding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx ghostcloak bikes back to stealership they should be picking her up asap.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dear Ghostcloak,
I found all your comments very interesting and informative.
In regard to brake pad bedding could you expand a little more on this. Information given to me was ' go steady for a few hundred kilometres', the technical reasoning was, lets say very evasive.
Regards
John

·
Registered
286 Posts
There were a couple of Service Information Bulletins about brake shudder on the early R12Rs that could apply to your bike. Maybe the dealer can get you some good-faith cash from Motorrad.

1. June 2007: Service Information Bulletin Ref 34 003 07 (34) https://www.bmwmc.net/catalog/34 003 07 (034) Pulsating Brakes.pdf

2. May 2008: Service Information Bulletin Ref 34 006 08 (028). Ebbo.org - BMW Motorbikes, Trips, Modifications and Product Reviews, GPS etc

The brake fluid should be flushed every two years from *build date*, not purchase date. The clock begins as soon as the DOT4 goes in in Berlin.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting read will put those idea's to my stealer also been told my be front wheel baring could be on the way out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
+1 on a possible wheelbearing. On my car I had the exact same issue, as I would come to a stop there would be a strange juddering, otherwise nothing wrong. Bad wheelbearing. Had the wheelbearing replaced and the strangeness went away.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I recommend EBC Double-H Sintered Pads. Great bike cold, even better hot. I daily ride my R12R and these pads are exceptional in the rain, hot, and cold days. And they are holding up quite well in terms of wear/life.
Hi Ghostcloak, I'm getting ready to replace my brake pads. I always have thought of my r12r's braking characteristics as one if the strong points of this marvelous machine. I havent seen any debate in what pads are best in any if the forums, like one sees with oil or tires or windscreens. So, i hadn't given anything but OEM pads a thought till I read your post. Now, you have me wondering. Can you tell me,what are the advantages, and disadvantages if any, of EBC Double sintered pads over the OEM pads for bikes like ours- I am not a timid rider- but my track days are behind me. Will something other than what Han puts on my ride make a difference?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting back on topic Las I've had email from my stealer comfirming they are now going to order some disc's, now you'd think I would be glad of this but previous run in's with this guy dont fill me with confidence. I will mark disc's with security pen just to see if they do change both disc's lol.

Just waiting on them picking bike up :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
D4VO, if you have so little trust in this guy, why do you go to him? Is he the only dealer near you? Just wondering.
Hi DJ

This guy works for the stealership I didn't buy it from him god no if he was in charge they would have gone out of business years ago or never got off the ground. He is one of the customer service guys who in my humble opinion doesn't understand bikes/bikers he just works their for his wages if that makes sense. Bought this bike from a harley stealership which I did have run in's with several bikes ago now, give them there due after I complained about there service they made amends but I had to go over this guys head which if push comes to shove I'll do again lol.

This is getting off topic a bit I might start a topic about stealerships lol.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
sounds like something in the friction between the pads and the rotor. That would be more evident at slower speed, check for a grease spot, or uneven wear, like patchy wear, and be sure the rotor and the wheel is true.
Have the pads been inspected other than thickness?
Does the rear brake exhibit the same feeling?
just an fyi, the bolts holding the roter have a little play in them

Can you feel the "fluctuation" when rolling to a stop without applying the brakes? That would suggest an axel issue, or bearings.

John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Can you feel the "fluctuation" when rolling to a stop without applying the brakes? That would suggest an axel issue, or bearings.

John
Not same fluctuation while applying back brake only front at low speeds, stealers gonna earn his profit with this bike whilst still in warrantee hehe.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts