BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 18000 mile front fork oil change. Before I had it done the front suspension was soft and a little "sticky ". I was really surprised about the very noticeable difference. Front suspension is much harder and smoother, no "sticky" feel. Prior to having it done I debated how neccessary it really was. The answer, absolutely necessary. Marked improvement! Glad I went by the recommended service. A must for sure. What I dont like or agree with whatsoever is that the service reminder could only be set at 6200 miles. It's just a service reminder. When it comes on it's just an annoyance. My bike is a 2017 and out of warranty. It isnt advisable to ignore service intervals but what is it BMW's business of what or when I service anything. I should be able to turn the damn thing off. Is there a scanner that can be purchased to perform this? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just had my 18000 mile front fork oil change. Before I had it done the front suspension was soft and a little "sticky ". I was really surprised about the very noticeable difference. Front suspension is much harder and smoother, no "sticky" feel. Prior to having it done I debated how neccessary it really was. The answer, absolutely necessary. Marked improvement! Glad I went by the recommended service. A must for sure. What I dont like or agree with whatsoever is that the service reminder could only be set at 6200 miles. It's just a service reminder. When it comes on it's just an annoyance. My bike is a 2017 and out of warranty. It isnt advisable to ignore service intervals but what is it BMW's business of what or when I service anything. I should be able to turn the damn thing off. Is there a scanner that can be purchased to perform this? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!.
Oh, btw, it was $40.00 to reset it, in addition to the fork oil change!

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,509 Posts
A GS-911 will, or search for GS-911 replacement OBD. You’ll find threads on the subject.
The dealer has an obligation to provide proper advice on service intervals, so I don’t see a problem with them setting it appropriately. You can set the date/time of the next service yourself at any value you choose though, using a GS911 or equivalent.

Reactions: Breacher

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
18 Posts
How much did it cost? Mines at a non bmw shop waiting to be done so interested in a real cost. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much did it cost? Mines at a non bmw shop waiting to be done so interested in a real cost. Thanks.
The fork service, $300.00 Just to simply reset the date on the service reminder, which by the way had nothing to do with the front fork oil service, $40.00.

·
6,509 Posts
The fork service, $300.00 Just to simply reset the date on the service reminder, which by the way had nothing to do with the front fork oil service, $40.00.
Odd that they should reset the service reminder if that was all that was done, and especially to then charge you for it. In the normal course of events, the fork oil change coincides with a regular service, which includes hooking up to the computer to check for faults and to set the service reminder. there’s no reason to do so just for a fork oil change, unless the reminder was showing and they trusted that you had done the service.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I do oil/filter, final drive, brakes. The easy stuff. Everything else I take it in. Guess thats why I got popped with the $40.00 charge to reset it. I purchased the bike pre owned. Such is life.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
18 Posts
My buddy has a BMW scanner for cars and can reset BMW car service alerts. Can the same device be used on bikes or do I have to get one of the scanners suggested above and do it myself? Seems like a hassle. Presumably a dealer won't do it if he hasn't done the service. Damn. Can I just turn the alert off completely if its annoying?
Yeah, I do oil/filter, final drive, brakes. The easy stuff. Everything else I take it in. Guess thats why I got popped with the $40.00 charge to reset it. I purchased the bike pre owned. Such is life.
That's what I plan to do. I misread your original post. I thought you paid $40 for fork oil change and $300 for the reset. It's the other way round I assume which is not unreasonable.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, cant turn it off, I asked. So every 6200 miles I will have to take it in to have it reset. Domt know if a car scanner will work. Kinda doubt it. If they ever refuse to reset because they didnt do the maintenance I can do, well that would be an issue. It's not under warranty.

·
6,509 Posts
It isn’t an issue.
search for GS-911 replacement OBD. You’ll find threads on the subject.

Reactions: Breacher
1 - 11 of 11 Posts