BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that most or all R1200R's that I see have a very visible front spring due to the length reaching almost to the telelever arm. On my 2011 the front spring is maybe only half of that length. As far as I know the bike is completely stock in the suspension department. Is there any reason why my bike would be different? I can attach a pic if necessary.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been reading about the BMW factory low suspension option. Could this be the case on my bike? How can I tell for sure?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
171 Posts
Measure from the fork seal to the top of the fork. What do you get?

I put a zip tie on mine. The most suspension travel I can get is 104mm. Its supposed to be 120mm for standard suspension. I have standard suspesnion.

Looking at your picture the bottom of my spring lines up with the horn just like yours.

Stock shocks will bring you to proper height. More comments will be along.

David

·
Registered
479 Posts

I put a zip tie on mine. The most suspension travel I can get is 104mm. Its supposed to be 120mm for standard suspension. I have standard suspesnion.

Looking at your picture the bottom of my spring lines up with the horn just like yours.

Stock shocks will bring you to proper height. More comments will be along.

David
I'm confused. My R is supposed to be standard suspension...but looks exactly like both pics shown above. Referencing the link to the other R12 site, my center stand measures 11.0". Surely one of the last 7 numbers of our VIN's signify suspension? If indeed I have the lowered suspension, ignorance was (is) bliss as I'm 6' 2"+ and physical height of the bike seems good...as does overall ground clearance. Of course, I would likely not be aware of limited suspension travel having no way to compare my bike with standard suspension. Help me see the suspension light!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do this with the bike on the side stand?
You say your bike has standard suspension but the spring looks like mine? Seems strange to see the bikes in the images at the top of this forum page because their springs are obviously a lot longer.

Birkenfelder said:
I'm confused. My R is supposed to be standard suspension...but looks exactly like both pics shown above. Referencing the link to the other R12 site, my center stand measures 11.0". Surely one of the last 7 numbers of our VIN's signify suspension? If indeed I have the lowered suspension, ignorance was (is) bliss as I'm 6' 2"+ and physical height of the bike seems good...as does overall ground clearance. Of course, I would likely not be aware of limited suspension travel having no way to compare my bike with standard suspension. Help me see the suspension light!
Pretty much my thoughts. I have noticed the ride can be a bit harsh, perhaps it's due to the compromised suspension, but like you I have nothing to compare it to. I will measure my center stand tonight.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts