BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to all, i ride a 2009 1200r always solo at 13.1/2 stone and find front suspension very hard is there a softer spring i can fit regards trev

·
Registered
174 Posts
How many miles? OEM shocks are shagged at about 20K miles. Your shock might be dragging (internal friction). Either way good rebuildable aftermarket suspension is the third best upgrade you can do for your bike. At that time you order the shock you can get the right spring installed on it.

While the shock is off you can inspect & test the rest of the pivots and sliders for wear and friction.

·
Registered
2014 R1200R Dark White
102 Posts
I think it would foolish to perform the labor of removing the front shock to just change out the spring .
To me it makes more sense to save your pennies and then get a new shock all together. I would also loosen the spring top lock nuts so if you have make spring load adjustment when on the bike it will be easier.
Not a lot of room there to swing spanner wrenches. I removed the fuel canister, electric/vacuum relay device, and the headlight. Make your adjustments
and then tighten down the lock nut

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just ordered some Tractive-x-cite shocks for my 2012 Classic. they were recommended over Ohlins amd Wilbers. unfortunately my front shock is on backorder. I'll get back once they're on the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many miles? OEM shocks are shagged at about 20K miles. Your shock might be dragging (internal friction). Either way good rebuildable aftermarket suspension is the third best upgrade you can do for your bike. At that time you order the shock you can get the right spring installed on it.

While the shock is off you can inspect & test the rest of the pivots and sliders for wear and friction.
hi wise words many thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just ordered some Tractive-x-cite shocks for my 2012 Classic. they were recommended over Ohlins amd Wilbers. unfortunately my front shock is on backorder. I'll get back once they're on the bike.
Post up once you've got that new shock, Chad. I'm thinking of going the same route on my '11 Classic. I'm at 18k miles and my gripe with the front shock is I feel every tiny irregularity of road surface at highway speeds. It feels very much like when the motor is under a heavy load. In fact, I'm not 100% sure it's NOT partly the motor working against the wind load. I'm talking about 4k rpms at just under 75. At slower speeds the shock seems to soak up bumps pretty well. I'll have to confirm what's going on before undergoing the expense. I'd be curious to know if you experienced the same issue with your bike.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
34 Posts
Post up once you've got that new shock, Chad. I'm thinking of going the same route on my '11 Classic. I'm at 18k miles and my gripe with the front shock is I feel every tiny irregularity of road surface at highway speeds. It feels very much like when the motor is under a heavy load. In fact, I'm not 100% sure it's NOT partly the motor working against the wind load. I'm talking about 4k rpms at just under 75. At slower speeds the shock seems to soak up bumps pretty well. I'll have to confirm what's going on before undergoing the expense. I'd be curious to know if you experienced the same issue with your bike.
I've posted a question on another thread about vibration at that speed with my 2017r1200r. I'm at 18000miles and had a non bmw, but generally very competent repair shop, just change fork oil. Wonder if there is something wrong with forks or he screwed up? What could go wrong in what he did?

·
Registered
116 Posts
So you noticed that behavior after the fork oil change but not before? Yeah, it must have been the quantity or weight of the oil, or something else they did.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
34 Posts
So you noticed that behavior after the fork oil change but not before? Yeah, it must have been the quantity or weight of the oil, or something else they did.
It wasn't immediately after. Probably two weeks. Is there any sensor problem that could cause a vibration problem?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had the Tractive-X-Cite shocks on for around 1,000 miles and I love them. no more harsh bumps jarring my wrist. no problems holding that tight line through a fast curve. I missed taking them on a 4 day ride due to a leaky rear main seal. I've got a couple long Sept. rides left to do as soon as the leak is repaired (Wednesday she goes in for the surgery).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts