BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 R1200R, fuel pump replaced six months ago (at 38K) as part of BMW's pump boss recall.

I rode the bike to lunch today, about 10 miles on the freeway. During the final few blocks (at low speed), and after putting the bike on the stand with the motor still running, I could hear a faint high-pitch screeching noise. My riding partner described the noise as the sound of metal sliding on metal. It wasn't terribly loud, and didn't relate to engine rpm. Both of us thought it was coming from the fuel tank, which had been filled just 10 miles before. When I got home (another 10 miles), the noise was absent.

We both suspect the fuel pump. I've still got 18 months on BMW's parts warranty from the recall work. But I'm curious: have any of you heard this sort of noise? What did it turn out to be?

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
FP noise?

Fuel pump makes a whine noise, easy to verify after key ON, before she fires up.
Replaced my R1100R fuel pump, but it locked up and was silent.
Cams and lifters make a constant scrubbing sound. Not screeching.
Alternator belt? That will come & go.:001_unsure:

Just for laughs..
Bosch fuel pump and a fake imposter.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/1404-fuel-pump-shootout/

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Clem. I now think the noise (more of a squeal) was the pump's high-pressure relief valve opening. That's likely the result of a compromised fuel filter; I just ordered one. Also possible that it comes from a loose hose connection, but I don't smell any gas in that area, so I think this is less likely.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, Clem. I now think the noise (more of a squeal) was the pump's high-pressure relief valve opening. That's likely the result of a compromised fuel filter; I just ordered one. Also possible that it comes from a loose hose connection, but I don't smell any gas in that area, so I think this is less likely.
I'm having the same high pitched noise which I believe is coming from my newly replaced fuel pump.
Did you fix your problem???
Please help.. I cannot unhear it. 8(

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm having the same high pitched noise which I believe is coming from my newly replaced fuel pump.
Did you fix your problem???
Please help.. I cannot unhear it. 8(
I had the exact same experience with my 2011 12R. Bought the bike at a BMW dealership in 2015 with only 3000km on the odometer. Bike was running perfect, at roughly 20k km I learned about the fuel pump recall and I had the same dealer perform it when the bike went in for the throttle body sync.

On my way home I did not notice anything, probably because I was not listening for anything specific and also I always ride with earplugs. However, later when I started the bike with no helmet, I could definitely note a high pitch sound coming from the tank and it was independent of engine rpm.

I took a video and made the service manager aware of it. I did not get any response from them.

If I were to describe the high pitch noise, it was not that loud that any person would say there is something wrong with the bike, but if there was no noise coming from the tank before, then like TDubz describe you cannot unhear it and it has the potential to drive you insane.

This noise to me, contributed to me selling the bike 5k km later. For the new owner it was his normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the exact same experience with my 2011 12R. Bought the bike at a BMW dealership in 2015 with only 3000km on the odometer. Bike was running perfect, at roughly 20k km I learned about the fuel pump recall and I had the same dealer perform it when the bike went in for the throttle body sync.

On my way home I did not notice anything, probably because I was not listening for anything specific and also I always ride with earplugs. However, later when I started the bike with no helmet, I could definitely note a high pitch sound coming from the tank and it was independent of engine rpm.

I took a video and made the service manager aware of it. I did not get any response from them.

If I were to describe the high pitch noise, it was not that loud that any person would say there is something wrong with the bike, but if there was no noise coming from the tank before, then like TDubz describe you cannot unhear it and it has the potential to drive you insane.

This noise to me, contributed to me selling the bike 5k km later. For the new owner it was his normal.
I'm going to contact my BMW shop and see what they say...maybe it's the relief valve that

I'm going to contact my BMW shop and see what they say...maybe it's the relief valve or compromised fuel filter that dbrick mentioned??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts