BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried the defibrillator treatment on their constantly failing fuel strips?
It sounds too good to be true. But even if it turns out to only be a temporary fix, it still might be worth juicing it once in a while as long as the cure isn't worse than the disease.
To be clear: I've taught myself to just ignore it and use my tripometer to know my remaining range. But sometimes I just wish it could work. If only for a little while.
Short of outright replacing it every time it fails, are there any other home hacks that seem to work?

·
Registered
559 Posts
My research says that if it works, it may fix the problem for a time. After 4-5 fixes, it won’t work anymore. Worthwhile if you live someplace where it’s not under warranty and you want to save money but don’t have the time to replace it yourself.

Have they determined why it fails? Contamination in the fuel over time? Ethanol in the gas? Poor design (I’d think BMW would have improved it by now).

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
I’d think BMW would have improved it by now
It was cured permanently with the LC by going back to a traditional float. Not worth wasting time redesigning a fatally flawed design.

Reactions: zer0netgain

·
Registered
559 Posts
It was cured permanently with the LC by going back to a traditional float. Not worth wasting time redesigning a fatally flawed design.
THANK YOU for that. I just consulted the part schematic and you are correct. ONE LESS THING for me to be worried about. THANK YOU AGAIN! 🤸‍♂️

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody know if there's a float retrofit option available?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I don’t know, but I saw a thread somewhere on that idea. If the connection and mounting is the same, I’d say it could be as simple as swapping out parts, but it seemed more involved than that. A float unit should fit but there’s likely more work to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts