BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my 6th fuel strip (2011) I'm conducting a poll to see how many have been fitted to peoples bikes in this group..so 6 to start.

·
Super Moderator
925 Posts
One replacement fuel strip about a year ago at about 30K miles on my '09 R12R.

HTH, Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also 2011 R1200R @ 50,000 miles. On #4 but it says I have 180 miles to empty when I have already gone 300 miles on a fill up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What does a replacement cost. Mine went today (first time 2011 model) - fuel gauge always showing full and range more or less constant. I presume thosr are the common symptoms?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had errors both ways..showing empty when full and full when empty...back to the thread. I know Bob Morton is on his 4th fuel strip. I think the cost of the fuel strip in the UK is about £170

·
Registered
75 Posts
?????

I just recently bought a used 2012 and the fuel strips are still being done under warranty N/C in the US.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
NIL. Mine failed after about 30000 miles and I've now got 76000 miles. You get used to the yellow fuel warning light!!! i just start looking for fuel after about 200 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
So, you get used to looking at a yellow light!...just give us a product that works!!!!!
I agree it's not fit for purpose but after months of sending emails and calls to BMW uk HQ I got no where. For my own sanity I gave up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought my 2007 used, and per the ‘complete’ service records I was given, it is still on the original. When I first bought the bike, and before I knew about potential fuel strip problems, I decided to test the fuel gauge accuracy. About 5 miles from home, I ran out of gas at 220mi with 2 bars left on the fuel gauge. My wife was not too happy to end her bath to bring me a gas can. Since then, I look to fill up at 200mi regardless of what the fuel gauge says. Fortunately, the fuel gauge is still more or less accurate, but I am just out of warranty, so I’m waiting to get bit in the rear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
NIL. Mine failed after about 30000 miles and I've now got 76000 miles. You get used to the yellow fuel warning light!!! i just start looking for fuel after about 200 miles.
Cover it with electrical tape.:wink2:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ammolab: do you really get 300 miles on a tank? I run out of gas around 220 miles.
Sometimes I do. I live at 7000 ft ASL and our rural (no traffic) mountain roads are mostly 55 MPH with a few 65 MPh. My current MPG read out for a couple of tanks is 63 MPG. Thin air plus 55 MPH does it.

On Texas interstate I run out of gas at 265 miles traveled....4 bad fuel strips you know.

·
Registered
287 Posts
2011, on my 3rd fuel strip. This one is working the best so far.

Rick G

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just today I have traveled 200 miles since full. The “miles to empty” reading shows 212 miles.

Worthless!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My gas light came on yesterday a week after I had the strip replaced. But it was actually because I was low on gas!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts