BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
BMW are replacing mine as a goodwill gesture, but I have to pay the labour, i have made them aware i do not think this is a satisfactory construct and would they notify BMW UK of such. I will pay, but am not prepared to let it go at that, I feel they need to take responsibility for a part that is not fit for purpose, they claim it is not a known issue and hide behind replacing it as an act of goodwill, thereby not taking responsibility. BMW America have stepped up and extended warranty to 12 years, BMW UK need to do the same. I think a class action against them might just get their attention.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
reply from BMW UK...

Thanks for your email about the fuel strip on your R1200R. I understand how concerning this must be for you.

I understand that BMW USA might have extended warranties on this part, which they’re entitled to do – each market area can make decisions on any issues they feel affect their customers. But BMW worldwide hasn’t found a widespread issue with this part, and neither have BMW UK.

While I can appreciate your concern about the fuel strip, I’m afraid we wouldn’t look to provide an extended warranty. But, if you do experience any issues with your fuel strip the best thing to do is take your bike to your local BMW Motorrad Approved Centre for the fault to be diagnosed. If the Centre feel there is a manufacturing fault, they’ll raise this with BMW UK so we can look into assisting with the repair costs.

I hope this helps and if there’s anything else I can help with, please get back in touch.

·
Registered
487 Posts
reply from BMW UK...

Thanks for your email about the fuel strip on your R1200R. I understand how concerning this must be for you.

I understand that BMW USA might have extended warranties on this part, which they’re entitled to do – each market area can make decisions on any issues they feel affect their customers. But BMW worldwide hasn’t found a widespread issue with this part, and neither have BMW UK.

While I can appreciate your concern about the fuel strip, I’m afraid we wouldn’t look to provide an extended warranty. But, if you do experience any issues with your fuel strip the best thing to do is take your bike to your local BMW Motorrad Approved Centre for the fault to be diagnosed. If the Centre feel there is a manufacturing fault, they’ll raise this with BMW UK so we can look into assisting with the repair costs.

I hope this helps and if there’s anything else I can help with, please get back in touch.
Does the UK allow class action lawsuits? Does it have a trade commission that can investigate stinky practices by companies?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Does the UK allow class action lawsuits? Does it have a trade commission that can investigate stinky practices by companies?
I tried our Trading Standards but I got the impression they wouldn't do anything against such a large company.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Being an LC owner, I feel lucky that this pervasive problem does not come on my radar. But from the above, it sounds like if a corporation is big enough, they can be allowed behave like a schoolyard bully and get away with it.

It comes down to the question of moral responsibility to your customers (or 'guests' as Toyota now sneakily refer to them in corporate BS).

Can BMW behave like this and get away with it? Yes they sure can, and are doing so already.

But 'should' they treat their customers with this corporate party line BS that has "boiler-plate" spin from lawyers written all over it? No, definitely not. It sure doesn't pass 'the pub test', wherein you discuss the issue with your mates and they decide whether the response you received is fair or not.

Really smart companies take their manufacturing SNAFUs (which to be fair do happen from time to time) right on the chin and turn it around by using it as an opportunity to do the right thing by their customers and turn them into brand promoters instead of ducking behind corporate spin and BS.

Doing the right thing cements strong relationships with their brand which, in turn, returns their investment of not much time and not much money (ie; probably a lot less than an expensive media campaign) into a priceless army of brand promoters and very happy, and quite likely repeat, customers - the very best advertising channel possible. Sheesh, it's not that hard BMW.

·
Registered
133 Posts
2013 cam head. 30,000km. Still original oem fuel strip. Fuel gauge always spot on. Low fuel warning light always comes on at 77km remaining.
I’m always mindful of not letting the fuel gun nozzle strike the gauge when refilling, as there have been suggestions that this may be a contributing factor to fuel strip failure.

·
Registered
654 Posts
reply from BMW UK...

It took our National Highway Traffic Safety Institute to get BMW USA to make the concession.

Running out of fuel on a busy freeway IS a safety issue.

Why can't BMW make these strips out of a material that does not fail? Should be an obvious thing.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It took our National Highway Traffic Safety Institute to get BMW USA to make the concession.

Why can't BMW make these strips out of a material that does not fail? Should be an obvious thing.
It also is a failure of implied and express warranties. If you fix a defective part by using another defective part, you didn’t fix it.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Stopped Dead on 1-10 in Houston rush hour? Yep....stopped Dead in nowhere West Texas? Yep that too. Fool me twice?
Yep!

A redesign does seem obvious, but on my 4 or so trips to the dealer for a “new” fuel strip the parts manager tells me that there is no change or update to the replacement strips they use today. The strip in my bike now is identical to the 4 failed ones they have removed.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I had three before I traded my 09 in. The strip was one of the problems that prevented me from ever trusting that bike, or bonding with it.
There was an inmate over on BMWMOA (the elitist fanboy BMW oil forum) who was on #7. He and I got together and started a complaint to the NHTSA and a letter writing campaign years ago that I like to think got BMW off their asses to warrant the badly designed poorly performing strip at least in the USA. Maybe just hubris on my part, but nothing was happening until I started haranguing on the BMWMOA and contacted the NHTSA. I got a LOT of vicious blowback from the "good ole boys members" there that does not deserve mention, but at it's worst had one fanboy suggesting a wish for my death. Yes. Even on the r1150r.org-the 1200 section, there were members who had a failed strip, but did not want to be involved. Idiot jerks.

It is refreshing to see here on this forum members actually expecting OEM devices to work as advertised and not offer some pablum like, "I just use my odometer." I love the float on my 16 GS...never a lick of problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
^^^^^

One of the reasons I gave up my lifetime MOA membership.

When someone thinks it is OK to threaten the life of another over a fuel strip problem, something is wrong with the person and the organization which tolerates such behavior.

BTW I bought a 2012 R 1200 R CL a couple of months ago and got a new fuel strip last week. It failed showing "full" rather than empty with the annoying flashing light which I had on my previous Beemers with fuel strip issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fuel gauge failed first time in May 2016 on my 2010 R12R. I was due to replace it, but the cost as well as the fact that it worked from time to time held me back. It failed a few times also in 2017, then no more. Has worked fine since, so no fuel strip replacement so far. Crossing fingers.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Fifth One

On my fifth strip. :001_huh:

I only keep replacing them so I don't see the "FUEL" message on my instrument cluster.

I never use the fuel gauge; I rely on my mileage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My current strip (5th) “works”...but only in the sense it hasn’t failed to always show full or always empty, but it goes from full down to 4 bars or so. That’s it. I just went 291 miles on a very full tank. I filled up with 4.91 gallons. I had 4 bars showing and computer said I had “177 miles to empty”. Of course, I did not!

Can the strip be calibrated to be more indicative of my fuel status? Maybe that procedure was not done at instillation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm on my 6th fuel strip (2011) I'm conducting a poll to see how many have been fitted to peoples bikes in this group..so 6 to start.
I have the 2013 90th anniversary special and didn't notice until after buying the bike that BMW "cured" the problem by REMOVING the fuel strip (and also the oil temperature strip). Not happy... this is the sort of technical "fix" that MZ would have done in the 1970s, not BMW in the 2020s... 😡

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Not happy... this is the sort of technical "fix" that MZ would have done in the 1970s, not BMW in the 2020s... 😡
But it is, obviously.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
My current strip (5th) “works”...but only in the sense it hasn’t failed to always show full or always empty, but it goes from full down to 4 bars or so. That’s it. I just went 291 miles on a very full tank. I filled up with 4.91 gallons. I had 4 bars showing and computer said I had “177 miles to empty”. Of course, I did not!

Can the strip be calibrated to be more indicative of my fuel status? Maybe that procedure was not done at instillation?
The record that I know of is 7 strips. I was on my third when I got fed up with it and the final drive failure...that's when I went to the GS. I felt I could never trust the bike, as I had my 1150 and now my 16 GS.
Re "calibrating" who knows, but over on advrider you can find threads on doing CPR on a dead one to achieve a resurection. Word of warning, the technique involves a BIC lighter. Shouldn't be hard to find. I've never seen anything about getting it to work better, just getting it to work at all, sorry.
BTW, I mention this on most threads on failed fuel strips...Look where the fuel strip is...look down the filler tube, You can see it crossing the right underneath the inside end of the filler tube. The wise engineers seem to have put it there, with its too delicate electronics so you can bang into it with the sharp edge of the gasoline nozzle during a refuel. And of course the strip is usually warmed up from the bike being ridden and the fuel is cold coming out of underground tanks. Soooo, they put delicate warm electronics right in the way of a sharp metal edge pouring out cold fuel. Damn! What could go wrong? IDIOTS.
On my 1150 (with a float) there was a 'stop" at the tank end of the filler tube, a simple cross piece of metal. They took that off on the 09, and probably all of the models with the fuel strip. WTF! Why?
So I made one out of a bit of coat hanger and installed it so that the gas nozzle had a limit to its travel. No more banging into the stupid fuel strip, thus eliminating a physical traumatic event.
And just an aside: All these people who say "oh, I just use the odometer." 2 things...on a digital display it is a PITA to do it at every refuel, not impossible, but really? and second, these people who claim to get away with doing that must ride some very simple and unvaried routes. What I mean by that is the mileage you get is quite variable. Sometimes I am getting in the low 30s--the lowest I've see was 26,27 in a very strong headwind heading south to Los Cruces, and it is not uncommon to see mid to high 50s sometimes in the right circumstances. Because that mileage is so variable, well what number should I choose? 120? 130? 170? That's absurd.
If a buyer sees a fuel gauge it is reasonable for that buyer to expect it works, and not do some fanboy gymnastics to work around a failure of BMW's design team. The purchaser of a BMW should not have to take one for the BMW design team
Oh, and the reason BMW FINALLY addressed the issue that they denied for years is because of a complaint to the NHTSA detaling the safety issue that it was. AFAIK, that initial complaint was filed by me and a BMWMOA forum member and then we initiated a letter writing campaign from forum members to the NHTSA. Interestingly, there was quite a bit of blowback from the fanboys in the various forums, but a couple of months after, BMW came out with the 12 year extended warranty on the strips

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am on #13. I have had some that stopped working before I got home from the dealer. I know that I can use the trip when the warranty is up 2021. The only reason I keep going back is because I can demo ride any bike while mine is being repaired.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
That's unbelievable! And what an indictment on BMW and the original design...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts