BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
After sitting for almost a year, the PO filled it up on the day I was going to get it, like 3 days ago ('07 R12R) and the gauge didn't work anymore, he said. So - I'll be checking it out with our local BMW dealer. I presume this is the original one - 39,300 miles

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im on my 3rd fuel strip , bike is from 2014 but only done 20,000 km. and i rode for about a year without a fuel gauge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
reply from BMW UK...

Thanks for your email about the fuel strip on your R1200R. I understand how concerning this must be for you.

I understand that BMW USA might have extended warranties on this part, which they’re entitled to do – each market area can make decisions on any issues they feel affect their customers. But BMW worldwide hasn’t found a widespread issue with this part, and neither have BMW UK.

While I can appreciate your concern about the fuel strip, I’m afraid we wouldn’t look to provide an extended warranty. But, if you do experience any issues with your fuel strip the best thing to do is take your bike to your local BMW Motorrad Approved Centre for the fault to be diagnosed. If the Centre feel there is a manufacturing fault, they’ll raise this with BMW UK so we can look into assisting with the repair costs.

I hope this helps and if there’s anything else I can help with, please get back in touch.
But BMW worldwide hasn’t found a widespread issue with this part, and neither have BMW UK.. Gotta be joking ! The BMW dealer where I bought bike said (jokingly) at my first service " hasn't the fuel strip packed up yet !

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
reply from BMW UK...
snip. But BMW worldwide hasn’t found a widespread issue with this part, and neither have BMW UK.
snip they’ll raise this with BMW UK so we can look into assisting with the repair costs.
I hope this helps and if there’s anything else I can help with, please get back in touch.
Of course that's all BS. They are lying.
When we were researching it there were worldwide complaints. one of the "reasons" for failure proffered was the use of ethanol in the US. However, in countries where no ethanol was used failures occurred there too. It is a bad design and bad tech. There were failures with a similar fuel strip on the 5 series BMWs--look it up--and that was handled promptly with a recall even.
Yes, it is frustrating and there is no good workaround except to carry extra gas for when it bites you. That is something I did, and it still got me even when I was on the lookout for it.

What worked in the US was filing a complaint and starting a letter writing campaign to the US's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) detailing to them the safety hazard a dysfuctional fuel gauge is. I don't know if Britain has a similar part of government, but that could prove fruitful??? Also, with the decreasing numbers of fuel strip models on the road, and with the reluctance of many owners to complain ("I just use the odometer" BS) and with the fanboys out there that will blame you for the problem...all of that may not bode well for a solution.

One "solution" is to pay for the replacement and you'll get some sort of warranty, then WHEN it fails again, they can fix it again on their nickel, and do that time after time. I actually got a partial reimbursement from BMWUSA Motorrad for one I had replaced AFTER the replacement program was announced.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Partially worked in the US, I'd say. Replacement for 12 years after the bike is placed in service is something, but it sure doesn't help those whose fuel strips fail at 13 years. As Dr. S observes: this is bad design. It often failed, probably (IMO) due to hard-to-meet manufacturing requirements. I'm lucky: my '07's failed soon after delivery to the original owner, but the replacement has been working OK since 2008.

I like the bike a lot, but given the cost of a fuel strip, the bike's current value and the liklihood that it'll be my last...well, unless I keep reading LoS and being inspired...I don't plan to buy a replacement if it fails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My gas light came on yesterday a week after I had the strip replaced. But it was actually because I was low on gas!
I havee a 2009 with 65,000 miles. I bought it with 30,000. The prior owner replaced one and I've replaced 2, I'm on my 3rd and have 12,000 miles since the last replacement. BMW has borne all costs but it is a pain to take the bike in for the day.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No need to calibrate my lying fuel strip #4, or 5 (I lost count) the thing has failed to “empty“ like some of the others. Will schedule a replacement but I’m 200 miles from my dealer so not a convenient repair.
Dealer tells me the replacements are warranted for two years so they may be fixing mine even after the extended warranty has expired. Sadly it is still the same part with no redesign.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts