BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 RS ( Blue and white) which I presume to be from one of the 1st batches made in Germany.
While at a BMW dealer the other day I had a look at some other R / RS's that were standing there and I noticed the fuel tank center panel has a small bump at the bottom where it meets the seat. Mine runs smoothly down to the seat. I am just curious to know when BMW changed the panel as I have not seen another RS the same as mine.
Is it possibly because I have one of the faster versions or possibly just a first edition of this bike?
Anyone else noticed this?

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Hi Shawn.

The smooth type centre panels are painted plastic, whereas those with the bump are made from metal (unobtanium, it seems, based on the premium price).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea when the change was made? seems early in this bikes cycle as I have not seen another smooth one. No point in bothering about it, I think even a second hand one would be an excessive expense. Don't see many of these bikes here in South Africa although BMW insist that they move them quiet a few. Second hand BMW parts scarce here unless you are looking for GS parts.
Somehow I wouldn't mind that metal strip though........

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess yours is a chinese copy, you know they are copying everything.
Original germans are a bit different, I hope you got yours with very little money 🤣

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is just the faster version..... specially designed tank strip so that the rider can tuck in closer under the screen

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Hi Shawn.

The smooth type centre panels are painted plastic, whereas those with the bump are made from metal (unobtanium, it seems, based on the premium price).
It's actually an alloy of Unobtainium and Unaffordium. Recipe known only to Motorrad metallurgists..:nerd:

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
In Australia, when I bought mine, the base model R came with the plastic tank cover strip; the Exclusive and Sport fitted with the metal cover. I believe tge RS was soecced similarly.

Not sure how they are currently specced, but the Motorrad websites would/should have details.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
In Australia, when I bought mine, the base model R came with the plastic tank cover strip; the Exclusive and Sport fitted with the metal cover. I believe tge RS was soecced similarly.

Not sure how they are currently specced, but the Motorrad websites would/should have details.
I'm not yet able to copy pix on other Forums to re-post here, so you'll have to make-do with these crummy photos, but the tank and wheels have been Plasti-Dipped. I rather like the copper-coloured wheels. No big deal, then, to paint the tank centre-strip (and any other part) as demonstrated here. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
I'm not yet able to copy pix on other Forums to re-post here, so you'll have to make-do with these crummy photos, but the tank and wheels have been Plasti-Dipped. I rather like the copper-coloured wheels. No big deal, then, to paint the tank centre-strip (and any other part) as demonstrated here. :nerd:
Seeing as you let my spelling mistakes ‘go through to the keeper’, Lawrence, I’ll not point out that the motorcycle in your picture is not a BMW. (Should have gone to Specsavers?) :wink2:

I just checked the Motorrad web site, and the trim levels in Oz for the RS, as with the R, show only the Exclusive and Sport models are configured with the Tank Cover Pure (BMW-speak for the metal cover).

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Seeing as you let my spelling mistakes ‘go through to the keeper’, Lawrence, I’ll not point out that the motorcycle in your picture is not a BMW. (Should have gone to Specsavers?) :wink2:.
Eyesore those spel-in missstekas, Pz, but decided to let it go - there's only so far I can go to help you. Specsavers - I thought the Dipp'd bike WAS a BMW... Grrr.:nerd:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any idea when the change was made? .

The different tank center is part of a package and in some countries it was available from day one.
The grey RS came with this package, and the current RS with the red frame has it.
The package also includes the little fairings that cover part of the header pipes.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
They call it metal, I just think it's coloured metallic-ish as I think mine is just plastic.
Mick, the distinguishing feature between the standard tank cover and Tank Cover Pure at first glance is the black piece at the rear of the tank. If you don't have this, you have the painted plastic cover.

The Tank Cover Pure has a frosted finish on the unobtanium/unaffordium metal alloy so I presume BMW included this plastic piece to avoid the rider scuffing the surface in that region.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
there is one way to find out, scratch it on a part that isn't noticeable. I thought mine was plastic until i did that
Try lighting it - if it burns, it's plastic (or a witch ...) :wink2:

·
Registered
307 Posts
To keep everyone happy it could well be both metal and plastic - plastics have been vacuum metallised for years - I've got a little plastic model of an R90S in front of me now with chrome finish plastic wheels, engine & exhaust.

Plastics can now also be electroless plated and electroplated - there are specific "plating grades" of ABS and ABS / Polycarbonate alloys to name just a couple.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
I’m calling stainless steel, albeit very expensive stainless steel.

From the press kit:
  • “In the “Style 1” and “Style 2” variants, the middle section of the fuel tank cover additionally boasts a stainless steel finish, lending the R 1200 R an added touch of exclusivity.”
  • under the feature sets for Styles 1 & 2, “Fuel tank cover in stainless steel.”
And that’s real stainless steel, rather than stainless steel coated plastic. This is no plastic scale model ... :grin2:

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
...boasts a stainless steel finish, lending the R 1200 R an added touch of exclusivity.”
I love that exclusivity bit from BMW--we're talking about a thin piece of brushed stainless. The front of my fairly cheap dishwasher is also covered in such exclusivity!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts