BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I'm new to the forum, new to the boxer engine and new to BMW. I've been reading lots on this forum and have a few questions.
My 12R is a new 2013 and I really love her so far, almost 1000 KM on her now! I read that the tank holds 18L and 3L reserve, is that reserve part of the 18L or is it 21L total?
I read threads talking about the computer displaying a fuel level and miles/km to go, mine doesn't seem to have that. Nothing displayed regarding fuel until the low fuel light comes on and it then starts counting KM driven. Is that a change for the 2013 models?
Cheers all!
Brian

·
Registered
286 Posts
Think it's 18 liters (4.75 U.S. gallons) total. The low-fuel lamp activates when the level reaches 3 liters.

Is that a change for the 2013 models?
If your display is blank on both sides of the gear indicator, you've got the new less-is-more set-up. That change began with 02/13 build dates.

Once you refill, the lamp goes away as well as the display of distance driven?

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Hi Brian, and welcome. If your R12 is new you should have been asked what options you wanted. Not wanting to point out the obvious but the computer functions are controlled by a grey 'info' button on the left side button cluster.

Enjoy the bike, although it sounds like you already are. :001_smile:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill. I assumed it was a new setup, yes the count up from when the low fuel display comes on does go away when filled up.
I read threads where some guys were talking about miles to empty display and bars on a gauge, I couldn't find them. So I'll live without those functions and mostly depend on a trip odometer reset each fill up, as I did with the Triumph I came from. With 3 litres left when the fuel light comes on, I should feel secure to get about 50KM with it.

Thanks for the welcome Dave! I have spent time pouring over the owners manual and learning what the computer can do. But thought I was maybe missing something based on threads I've read.

cheers guys,
Brian

·
Registered
18 Posts
The tank holds 21 litres total (probably even more) if you fill it to the very top on the center stand. I normally fill her up with 20-21 litres when the computer tells me I've still got 50km to go. I've just checked my receipts from the gas station to be sure.
Greetings from Vienna (an no, they don't fit the R1200Rs with larger tanks here in Austria :clown:
antoncarl

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I didn't realise BMW had taken a backward step and reduced the computer functions. Strange!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for confirming that antoncarl. So I should be able to do 300 KM with worse case of 6L/100KM and still have 3L left to find a place to gas up, nice!
Dave, reading about all the problems BMW have had with the fuel strips, it may have been the best way to resolve it?

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Hey everyone!
I'm new to the forum, new to the boxer engine and new to BMW. I've been reading lots on this forum and have a few questions.
My 12R is a new 2013 and I really love her so far, almost 1000 KM on her now! I read that the tank holds 18L and 3L reserve, is that reserve part of the 18L or is it 21L total?
I read threads talking about the computer displaying a fuel level and miles/km to go, mine doesn't seem to have that. Nothing displayed regarding fuel until the low fuel light comes on and it then starts counting KM driven. Is that a change for the 2013 models?
Cheers all!
Brian

That is very odd. I have a 2013 as well.. And I have all those readings for fuel.. Average consumption, current consumption and how many miles I can go. Also have the bars for fuel level...

Are you sure yours has an actual and functional on board computer?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am also a proud owner of a new 2013 Classic (build date April 2013) and to my surprise those functions are missing. My dealer did not know this prior to receiving the bike one week ago. Then I was told that R12R with build date after Feb.2013 did not have fuel strips. I was somewhat disappointed as these are the most important trip commuter functions: how much fuel is in the tank and how many klm's you have left.

Such an awkward approach to remove this prior to deploying a new one. My guess is that we are the unlucky ones before BMW develops a new/proper fuel strip. Let's hope that when the new one is ready -if ever- we would be able to install it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That is very odd. I have a 2013 as well.. And I have all those readings for fuel.. Average consumption, current consumption and how many miles I can go. Also have the bars for fuel level...
When was your build date? There should be a sticker on the forks with XX/XX. I'll bet yours was before 02/13.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
When was your build date? There should be a sticker on the forks with XX/XX. I'll bet yours was before 02/13.
Mine was built in November or early December 2012 (remember getting notified). Wow. How crappy of BMW to not even "warn" about those changes...glad I got mine before that date then.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Build date for mine was 03/13 ..... she wasn't in the showroom very long when I snatched her up.
No big deal that those gauges are gone, as I mentioned, I won't miss what I've never had.
cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NeikT, I guess the issue with the fuel strips cost BMW too much in warranty repairs and they simply couldn't resolve it.
A retrofit to ours in the future, if possible, may be expensive. The 2013's may be known as the oddballs of the family. I don't see them leaving those functions out permanently.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
286 Posts
On the post 2/13 bikes, how does the computer know when the tank reaches 3 liters, thereby illuminating the low-fuel light? Something inside the tank is measuring the level. What if the new bikes have the same fuel strip as the old ones? On the Max BMW parts fiche, the 03/13 R12Rs have the fuel strip. (Real OEM is current as of 01/13.)

Why would Motorrad disable some of the OBC options on post-build 02/13 bikes? Has the computer been the problem all along?

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
I agree with Web. 2013s have the infamous fuel strip.:001_9898:Congratulations.:D

Just lacking bar graph displays for fuel level and oil temp.:(:)Your reaction may vary.
If you're the kind of person who doesn't miss what you never had, you're gonna love the new 2013 model.:001_wub:

How crappy of BMW to not even "warn" about those changes...:cursing:
BMW's policy seems like,"Don't ask, Don't tell.":001_cool:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
If you're the kind of person who doesn't miss what you never had, you're gonna love the new 2013 model.
Isn't life in this 1200 R world strange? Until a week or two ago those of us who were concerned about the vagaries of the fuel-strip, and/ or who had experienced issues with it were cursing the thing.

Now, with the countdown-to-empty function removed as from 02/ 13 (if I read correctly) we are quietly congratulating ourselves on having that now-removed feature on our bikes!

L of S

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
+1 LofS. :iagree: truth IS stranger than fiction.:dizzy:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Like Brian, I reset the tried-and-true tripmeter at every refuel, so the onboard computer's (OBC) residual-range data are superfluous for my rides. By using the tripmeter, even the fuel-level bars are redundant.

About four years ago, when the fuel strip on my bike went kaput, what bothered me most wasn't those insincere fuel bars or the schizophrenic residual-range readout. It was the amber fuel lamp that would illuminate less than 10 miles after a fill-up. So into the shop the bike went for a fix, on BMWNA's dime. The dealer diagnosed a bad "fuel level sender," drained the tank, replaced the strip, reprogrammed it, refilled the tank, and off I went after a two-hour wait. If the tech had deactivated the lamp, or covered it with electrical tape, I would have felt as satisfied.

Tonight, I pulled that repair order from October 2009: "The customer reports the fuel gauge reads low (light on) when full and reads full when empty. Also the residual range to zero counts down from 253 to three dashes in about three miles after every fill-up." Another bulb went off after I reviewed the notes. What if the OBC is just the messenger? What if you muted the messenger?

A theory about these 02/13+ build-date changes: Motorrad's quiet deactivation of the residual-range option and the fuel-level bars on the display is a roundabout way of turning off the amber bulb. It's an out-of-sight, out-of-mind stopgap until the waterboxer R12R ships. (The '13 GSW "onboard computer Pro" includes fuel-level bars, residual range and can be customized to the hilt -- a data geek's dream.) Thinning the 02/13+ onboard computer is less hassle than endless replacement of fuel strips that trip false-positive warning lamps. If the strip flakes out, and the OBC yawns, who cares? Tripmeter aficionados won't miss a beat.

If this theory proves true, Motorrad's "fix" is sheer elegance in its simplicity. I would pay for this retrofit instead of lobbying them for an out-of-warranty fuel strip replacement. After all, motoring is more fun when we pretend there isn't one inside the tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only problem with relying solely on the trip meter to know when to fuel up is that not each tankful of gas will produce the same mileage. My fuel light doesn't usually activate until I have somewhere around 200 miles showing on the trip meter. On my last tank, however, it illuminated at only 167 miles. That made sense because I was riding the bike near redline for much of that tank.

So, all in all, I would still rather have a properly functioning fuel gauge. The countdown feature on top of the low-fuel warning light is rather superfluous, assuming that the amber light coming on is an accurate indicator of how much fuel is remaining in the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
It's an out-of-sight, out-of-mind stopgap until the waterboxer R12R ships.
I agree with you on that, it's easier and cheaper for them to just remove the future until the new model comes out.

Still, I think it's not the correct way of doing it, they should fix the problem, have their engineers team make a fuel strip that does not fail.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts