BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking off a gas cap on a 2015 r12r is it an easy swap? got this push close/open cap off ebay. Had a little try today to take off OEM, it wasn鈥檛 coming out easy so left alone. Should it just pop out or should I be careful 馃

Registered
You'll need to take the tank covers off first.
Air Filter Change (5).JPG

Reactions: D4VO

Registered
If you have keyless the electrical connector is on the left side toward the front.

Registered
Could you post a link to the cap you purchased?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
See if this link works.

Could you post a link to the cap you purchased?
This gas cap doesn鈥檛 fit properly, plus no way of connecting fuel breather pipes. It was an experience taking plastic covers off tho.
Has anyone changed gas cap before.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Breather pipes on petrol cap are they needed? if I can get ventilation from tank via another way, like drilling small holes in outer ring this should allow vapours to escape. Just needed to know will that mess with any sensors connected to tank!

Registered
@D4VO There are usually 2 pipes - one that allows vapor pressure to escape from WITHIN the tank, and one that allows spilled fuel to drain from around the filler neck. The first is below the seal where the cap meets the neck - usually built into the tank to prevent leaking unless the bike is on it's side. These also both vent away from the exhaust, below the engine, to prevent major issues.

The cap you shared does not look like it should require that much disassembly - it looks like it just replaces the outer ring and center cap, so not sure why the rest of the system needs to come off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
@D4VO There are usually 2 pipes - one that allows vapor pressure to escape from WITHIN the tank, and one that allows spilled fuel to drain from around the filler neck. The first is below the seal where the cap meets the neck - usually built into the tank to prevent leaking unless the bike is on it's side. These also both vent away from the exhaust, below the engine, to prevent major issues.

The cap you shared does not look like it should require that much disassembly - it looks like it just replaces the outer ring and center cap, so not sure why the rest of the system needs to come off.
Thanks for replying.

this after market ring will need some bodging to fit, I鈥檝e had plastics off to test fit. I was more concerned about venting vapour from tank. Spillage I鈥檓 hoping won鈥檛 be too bad, I never fill to brim unless on long journeys. I鈥檓 not sure if it would cause any running issues.

Registered
Only running issue I can think of is the lack of vent may restrict the pumps ability to flow fuel - and that will be the internal vent line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts