BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the very first things I have to do on a new bike is adjust the position of the gear change lever so that I can change gear without having to lift my foot up or bend my ankle excessively when placing it onto or under the lever peg. It’s not laziness – I have a (benign) condition that limits the feeling in my feet…

I have noticed that on this still new-ish bike my boot sometimes fouls the small black terminal box that’s located just in front of the gear-lever peg, at the top of the side-stand (coloured wires protruding from it in the pic below).

The gap between front of the gear-lever peg and rear of this terminal box is precisely one inch…. pretty tight.

Is there a solution: maybe a longer gear-lever peg (the horizontal part with rubber surround), or maybe a simple cover-plate that will allow my boot to be deflected from the terminal box.

It’s only a very small issue, but I do feel a bit uneasy at times when I’m seemingly – although only momentarily - ‘jammed up’ down there!

Lawrence of Suburbia

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

Montego Blue 2013 R1200 R, PUIG rear hugger, Stebel Magnum horn, oil-cooler radiator guard, Grip Puppies, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming…

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hmm. I fabricated a new shift lever for other reasons, but before I did so I never had trouble with the clearance being so tight on mine, and I don't remember reading about changes to this area.

But I'm away from home, and won't be able to compare my bike to your picture until Tuesday afternoon.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wunderlich has a part fabricated for you.
Brake or Gear Lever Enlarger R1200 R | BMW Wunderlich America
Enlarge the brake or gear shift lever.
Thanks, Clem. From reviews of the item on the W'lich website it seems that a number of buyers had difficulty fitting it securely, and a few actually lost it.

Ohers were happy...

It seems expensive for what it is - I'll keep looking and if nothing else comes along may invest $39.

Thanks for the heads-up...

L of S

·
Registered
824 Posts
I looked at the Wunderlich site and the extender myself and have to agree with you that it seems awfully expensive. As does everything on their site, and for most bike fittings from whomever. Reminds me of parts for a boat always seemed very expensive.
Perhaps the parts are small runs for a limited market which would explain higher costs.
my size 14 foot seems to get hung up somewhat shifting up, especially if I am wearing a boot (as opposed to wearing sneakers... which I realize is not the best choice).
Let us know if you come up with an alternative solution...
Thnx,
big foot Paul

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dear L of S,
For different reasons I have fitted the Wunderlich brake lever extender ( to reduce ankle movement). Not the knurled type, but the rubber banded style. It slipped onto the brake lever relatively easy but for the last 20mm ( we all understand 20mm, here). A 'G' clamp completed the assembly without any concerns of it coming loose.
Regards
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Thanks johnvw. Great idea! Some guys had install problems.
One review had a great bit of advice.
"To prevent the enlarger from slipping off, I drilled a small hole at the lever end and safety wired the enlarger to the lever."
Safety wire is probably not as messy as using Gorilla glue.
Get the one with 3 rubber strips if you have nice riding boots.
If you ride in beat up track boots,get the sharp knurled aluminum.No slips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts