BMW R1200R Forum banner

gentle off road tuition

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Grobb 
#1 ·
During my many road trips into Europe I have come across several unmade roads or roads being repaired and don't have the confidence I would like when on them. I don't think I need full on off road tuition, just some advice/practice on hard dirt or gravel. Are there any recommendations for anyone in the South West England area giving such tuition? Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
https://davethorpehondaoffroad.com/about/

They were based in South Wales but moved 2 years ago. Fantastic days training from total beginner to professional. They provide all the gear, relaxed and friendly when I did it. When picking your bike for the day, walk around them and grab one with more square profile chunkies, mine were a bit rounded and due for a change and much less grip. I'd noticed some other blokes looking around them before selecting, now I know why.

#5 ·
I agree 100% I was a bit nervous about it before hand but there was no need to worry, they teach you the basics then ask who's ridden off road before (2 people had never even ridden a bike before so just stayed doing basic skills but had fun) Split you into groups and watch you go around one of 3 tracks depending on experience. They give some more advice then sort out the group's and you go out for a ride in the countryside. I rode on all different surfaces including some road, truly was an enduro day.

Even had a chat with Chaz Davies and Michael Laverty who were doing some off road training at the venue.

#7 ·
Strange, any riders that are predominantly 'off road' riders that belong and come riding in the local 'road' bike club, ride more upright than the dedicated road bike riders.
Don't like leaning into the corners, and look uncomfortable and uptight.

Yet if I ride my road bike on a metal road.....i'm uptight.

Just a observation :smile2:

Reactions: sturgeon
#8 ·
Riding upright with elbows out is a pretty standard posture for off-roaders. I don't ride much off-road any more, having only my R9T Scrambler to use for that, but in the past it always took me a while to change styles after a long stint of only off-road or only on-road. Riding on a surface where it's less easy to slide is probably what makes the off-roaders seem uptight.

'Metal road'? That's a new one on me. I assume that's what I would call gravel? About the only metal roads I've been on are bridge decks with steel grating :wink2:

#13 ·
Hey there, Dave.

I've not read through all of the responses so apologies if I'm only reiterating what's already been said.

1) FOR THAT UGLY GRAVEL PATCH YOU DO (OR DON'T) SEE ...

The age old science of "a body in motion tends to stay in motion" has its equivalent truths in motorcycling. Wether you've got your eyes on the prize, meaning looking ahead and understand "yep, that's gravel" or are rounding a corner and the shift of geometry catches you off guard, the key ... the BIG key ... is to remain calm and:

LET THE BIKE CORRECT ITSELF.

One of my own early-riding-career-gurus used to say "chicken wings, chicken wings". Keep those arms LOOSE. Keep your attention AHEAD. Keep the throttle in PACE ... meaning don't chop it (wring it out) and don't "spazz" and roll off out of paranoia.

NOTHING about this is comfortable but it happens. It straight up "heart attack" happens ... and it's up to YOU to maintain a separation of mind/body so that your physics remain intact enough to remedy themselves.

I'm with you in that I hate "that feeling" of "Welp, it's up to the bike now" but so long as you're looking ahead and processing the horizon, 9 times out of 10 the geometry will regain it's center of balance.

2) FOR THAT GRAVEL ROAD THAT'S DEEP PEET (MARBLE SIZED TACK AND SEAL) ...

All of the above but with a bit more confidence. You know the bike is going to "dance". It's your job to pick a path of travel that allows it's sudden shifts to buffer themselves ... AGAIN ... eyeing the road ahead and ONLY the road ahead. KEEP YOUR GRIP LOOSE AND YOUR ELBOWS RELAXED. Eyes on the prize ... chicken wings ... yada yada.

3) FOR THAT HARD PACKED DIRT ...

Treat it with respect and you can almost behave as if it's pavement. The difference? That "pavement" has a "traffic police officer" that, rather than writing you a speeding ticket, will hurl your bike onto the ground. Point: don't experiment and don't over do it. Keep things five miles below the speed limit or anticipated hazards pace.

I hope this helps. Not intending to be blow hard. I just want your bike (and you) to remain intact.

PS ... LEARN TO RIDE DIRT AND BECOME A BETTER STREET RIDER AS A SIDE ORDER :)

Reactions: Dave
#14 ·
Can't help you with the tuition in SW England but here in Aus we have blue metal which can be used on roads as part of the road surface, it's cheap and nasty like the coarse chip seal they use here. I don't know what it is like in other countries from my limited travelling but I don't see coarse chip seal used much overseas. I am more likely to come across nice smooth quiet asphalt or in the US I saw a bit of concrete. (rant off)

#15 ·
In France many of their minor road repairs seem to be to put down a layer of tar, sprinkle it with gravel then let the traffic bed it in. Fortunately it's never a surprise as it's always very well signposted.

In Slovenia a few years ago they just appeared to run out of tarmac for a few miles on one stretch where it turned into a dirt road.

Road surfaces in the UK and Europe are mainly good but can catch you out sometimes.

#16 ·
@Dave ...

I forgot to mention: Keep your RPMs low(er), like just below cruising speed. With the motor putting along slightly above idle, there's less "jolt" should you use the throttle to any extent.

Also, there's the benefit of standing on the pegs rather than being seated, circumstances depending. Standing up actually LOWERS your center of gravity as all weight is then resting on down low on the pegs. This sounded strange to me when I first learned it but after about 15 seconds of reflection, it all made sense.

Reactions: Dave
#19 ·
Not so much over in the SW, but off the Kerb in Dorking take riders out along the byways we have around here in Surrey. Definitely recommend it and they provide you with a CRF250L which is a great bike to get your confidence up before taking anything bigger across rough stuff. They start the day with some basic skills in a field before leading you out across a variety of terrains and conditions

Riding up on the pegs doesn’t actually lower your gravity, in fact it does the opposite. The reason for doing it is mainly to give you greater flexibility to move your weight around quickly to give you better manoeuvrability as needed when picking your line and keeping balance. You’ll notice that most riders will sit down again and change body position for a sharp corner for that very reason (in most circumstances we also stick a boot out to help correct any low siders).

The hardest thing to master, but makes the biggest difference is keeping loose and being able to use speed and power to overcome slippery surfaces (no bravado intended). The latter feels very counterintuitive, especially as a road rider but once you master it, it will seem like a real revelation. (You May even have to buy a weekend green laner at this point!)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.