BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Yes to both @Dougl

Givi SRA5117 plate fastens directly to the OEM rack mounting points. From memory just remove a few of the plastic trim parts and the Givi bolts to the bikes mounting points if that makes sense.

I purchased a replacement lock cylinder - Givi SL101 Security Lock Set

Search for my post ”Givi rekey” - posted a how-to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Here's an in-depth how-to I. Another fourm.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
FYI - I have all bike locks - navigator cradle, seat lock, panniers and Givi V47 top box all set to one key.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I run the Shad Sh58x, got it for $275 from Motocard. It's flattened out at 40L which easily holds my duffle bag. If you expand it, it's massive and holds a full suit, helmet, etc easily

·
Registered
22 Posts
Love my Givi 47! Perfect size for 1 helmet and jacket or 2 helmets if the 2 of us are out on the bike.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hear you about the cube shape but I think it looks nice on and holds a good deal. Worth mentioning, the wife loves the backrest.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
A top box is a top box. Whatever works for one's needs is the correct option. Initially, when I first got my Givi V47, I was overly concerned it would detract from the lines/looks of the bike. So the thought was I would only use for trips, but it so versatile it stays on the bike all the time.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,507 Posts
Hi Tarnbaz. In the photo, your stock exhaust silencer seems to have a brushed stainless steel finish rather than shiny chrome. Is that so?

Reactions: mikeS

·
6,507 Posts
Yes its brushed stainless.
Thanks for the clarification, Tarnbaz. All Oz models have the chrome option, and I hadn’t noticed this option on the forum before.

Reactions: mikeS and Tarnbaz

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Here's an in-depth how-to I. Another fourm.

Mike, thanks a lot for these instructions. I just keyed a Givi top case lock to the BMW key. What an odyssey! First I sent away for the SL-101. Then I brought it to the supposedly 2 best locksmiths in Reno, NV. Neither would look at it. So much for craftsmen. I thought about bringing it to a gunsmith or jeweler to file out the Givi barrel but ordered some micro files off Amazon. These pieces of shyte were coated with diamond dust which wore off quickly. I had to break off the worn ends to continue filing. A good quality steel file is essential for this. I ordered a second SL-101 to increase my selection of wafers. I had 4 different types. Not sure how many I used but managed to get all 9 in. After I removed the Givi locking assembly, I removed the rotating plastic lock plate and a ball bearing which sits on top of a spring bounced out. This could easily be lost, along with the tiny springs. So, I’m taking the day off (It’s July 5, a National holiday).

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Unfortunately, it’s almost impossible to find an old school craftsman/artisan nowadays @Dougl. Good to hear you managed to get your project done.

·
6,507 Posts
Can someone tell, if the Givi case is not locked, is there still a secure latching system to keep
it closed?
The Monokey has a button you can depress to unlatch the lid only when the key is in the unlocked position (and you can’t remove the key without returning it to the locked position).

21 - 37 of 37 Posts