BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I thought I'd share. Last night I bought a set of new Metzler Z8 tires for our bikes from Motorcycle Superstore.

I got a front and rear tire for $300 and free shipping. I'm going to need new tires in about 2K miles, which for me is about 2 months. I was actually going to try the new PR3 tires but after reading the latest issue of BMW magazine it rated the Z8 significantly better than the PR3's for our bikes which they used for the tire testing, especially in the wet.

I've never had any negative issues with the Z8's that came with my bike. I've ridden in downpours with excellent stability and handling and I've commuted to work (96 miles round trip) in temps ranging from 29F to 96F.

Premium Member
Tyre choice is always very personal. I've always used Michelin, started with the original PR, PR2 and now PR3. With the price tyres are trying a different manufacturer can be an expensive mistake if you don't like them. What sort of mileage did you get from your last set of Z8s?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Tyre choice is always very personal. I've always used Michelin, started with the original PR, PR2 and now PR3. With the price tyres are trying a different manufacturer can be an expensive mistake if you don't like them. What sort of mileage did you get from your last set of Z8s?
Hi Dave,

Totally agree about it being personal. I've been very happy with my Z8's but was thinking I might try the PR3's. However, after reading the tire test I wasn't sure it was worth it. As you mentioned, it can be a costly error if one doesn't like the new choice. When the good deal above presented its self it sealed the Z8 tires for me second time around ;)

I am currently at 70 miles shy of 10K miles. I figure I have another 2K miles tops. I ride an average 1K miles per month. Being in the Northeast my bike is in hibernation and I expect it will be out in a month the latest. I was planning on switching tires when I get my 12K mile service done.

How many miles have you squeezed out of your PR3's?

Craig

Premium Member
Craig, I had PR3s on my last bike, a R1100S, and put 10K on the pair. The rear had just started to square off a little but still had plenty of life in it. The thing I like about the Michelins is the confidence they give in the rain. One of the things that made me choose my particular 2009 model last year was it already had nearly new PR3s on.

Registered
Long time Michelin rider also, PR1s then 2s then 3s.
I like them and got 14k out of one once, but usually around 10-11.

Question: Have you considered Pirelli Scorpion Trails?
They seem pretty interesting as an alternative and may be my next tire.

It has been my experience that Metzler riders stay with Metzlers and never stray. I used a set of Metzler ME 880s once and got 14 out of them. They weren't as grippy, but were good for long distance

John

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Craig, I had PR3s on my last bike, a R1100S, and put 10K on the pair. The rear had just started to square off a little but still had plenty of life in it. The thing I like about the Michelins is the confidence they give in the rain. One of the things that made me choose my particular 2009 model last year was it already had nearly new PR3s on.
So around the same as the Z8's then. A friend and I were about an hour from home in July riding back from Toronto Canada. We had been riding for about 7 hours when it opened up and it was pouring. I remember feeling a little tense but after fifteen to twenty minutes into the wet rainy part of our ride I totally relaxed due to just how well the Z8's had handled the rain and puddled highway. They were confidence inspiring.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Long time Michelin rider also, PR1s then 2s then 3s.
I like them and got 14k out of one once, but usually around 10-11.

Question: Have you considered Pirelli Scorpion Trails?
They seem pretty interesting as an alternative and may be my next tire.

It has been my experience that Metzler riders stay with Metzlers and never stray. I used a set of Metzler ME 880s once and got 14 out of them. They weren't as grippy, but were good for long distance

John
Hey John,

I never really looked at the Pirelli's. Did they get a good write up? How is their durability and pricing relative to the other two tires discussed?

Registered
Hi everyone, this is my first text, thx for above mentioned post. Is either the MeztlerZ8 or Michelin PR3
Better suited for sunny/dry mostly sport riding? (Northern Calif). Any input is appreciated.
I am proud new owner of a (09) R1200R that is super clean. My favorite bike ever, it fits me like glove

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everyone, this is my first text, thx for above mentioned post. Is either the MeztlerZ8 or Michelin PR3
Better suited for sunny/dry mostly sport riding? (Northern Calif). Any input is appreciated.
I am proud new owner of a (09) R1200R that is super clean. My favorite bike ever, it fits me like glove
Welcome and congrats on the new to you R1200R. They are absolutely awesome bikes.

To answer your question, both the PR3 and the Z8's are considered Sport Touring tires. Both of the tires discussed above got very good ratings for wet weather riding as well as dry conditions. I've never used the PR3's but according to the latest issue of BMW motorcycle magazine it said that the PR3's were better on heavier bikes than the R1200R like the RT1200. My experience with our bikes is limited to the Z8's and they performed well for me in temps between 29F and 96F, commuting on the highway, long distance trip to Toronto Canada (and all over central Ontario) and short local rides on backroads.

What tires came on your bike?

Registered
I've ridden 3 sets of PR2s and 2 sets of PR3s. I think the handling is very close between the two, wet or dry. It could be my imagination, but I think I feel tar snakes sooner with the 3s than the 2s as they age. But they have both proven to be durable reliable and long lasting, 3s>2s. I also find the 3s to be a more confortable ride, hard to explain, but they almost feel soft, not underinflated soft or poor handling soft, but more comfortable. If I were buying PR again I would pay a small premium for the 3s, but not a large one. If I found 2s on sale for a good price I'd be happy with them.

I have never ridden metzlers, but I have changed them and they were harder to change than Michelins, just tighter.

The Pirelli Scorpion Trails have gotten very good reviews and their tread is geared for maybe a little more off road than the Michelins. They are not an off road tire and when described something like "for those riders who do 80-90% street and 10-20% unpaved." On my tours I sometimes find myself on dirt or gravel, nothing b0ll-busting, but not smooth pavement either. I don't seek out those roads, but they find me. About the same price. Don't know about durability. I had Pirellis once, Diablo Stradas, and they lasted about 8k miles. Same company as Metzler, btw.

John

Registered
Bike came with Michelin pilot road? I did not see a 2 or a 3 on the tires unless I'm blind. I believe they are the stock tires. 8000mi on bike and it looks like I'll get @ 2000mi more. They feel great but I've only put 1000mi on them. If ain't broke don't fix?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts