BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Year end service complete. Checked valve clearances, new plugs, replaced all the fluids, dropped the final drive and greased the splines, new break pads, new air filter, a fresh tank of cornjuiceless petrol, topped off with Stabil, and a good wipe down with ACF-50. Got a few cosmetic projects over the winter - new blacked-out Remus headers and having some bits powder coated, but the riding season is officially over for the R. Sleep tight...
DE5DB049-664F-4F01-B6DD-09D76EFC6146.jpeg

·
Registered
199 Posts
Put mine to bed yesterday as well. I expect to be a little more grumpy for the next five months.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What year is it?
I have 2014 Dark White
I like the bar end mirrors, what brand, model #
FYI
I was able to buy the spark plugs, air, oil filter from Rock Auto for like $55
What led headlight do you have? How do you like it over stock?
Only one website offered a direct fit and was like $600-$700

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s a 2014, the Dark White was a one year special trim. The mirrors are Rizoma, I think they were the “Class Retro” model. I don’t recall what I paid for the service materials, quite a bit I already had laying around. I ordered everything else from beemerboneyard. Their prices are competitive enough and I like to support businesses like theirs. The headlight is by Motodemic. It’s a JW Speaker light reworked to fit the stock housing and works with the CANBUS. It’s unfortunately probably the one you’re thinking of. It’s a huge improvement over stock, both in output and looks.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I don’t need to except for winter maintenance...typically when the weather is cold enough that I don’t expect many decent days to ride. Otherwise, I keep the bike ready to ride in case the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t need to except for winter maintenance...typically when the weather is cold enough that I don’t expect many decent days to ride. Otherwise, I keep the bike ready to ride in case the weather cooperates.
I keep my Honda Monkey out and ready in case there’s decent days to ride and I need to scratch the itch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’s a 2014, the Dark White was a one year special trim. The mirrors are Rizoma, I think they were the “Class Retro” model. I don’t recall what I paid for the service materials, quite a bit I already had laying around. I ordered everything else from beemerboneyard. Their prices are competitive enough and I like to support businesses like theirs. The headlight is by Motodemic. It’s a JW Speaker light reworked to fit the stock housing and works with the CANBUS. It’s unfortunately probably the one you’re thinking of. It’s a huge improvement over stock, both in output and looks.
Did you get the adaptive model or non adaptive model?
Do you remember where you got the bar end mirrors from?
Are you happy with the stock suspension?
I noticed unfortunately not to many choices for aftermarket exhaust for this bike/year.
Also heard some comparisons on Utube, and there wasn't much improvement in the sound.
The stock exhaust sounds quite anemic

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you get the adaptive model or non adaptive model?
Do you remember where you got the bar end mirrors from?
Are you happy with the stock suspension?
I noticed unfortunately not to many choices for aftermarket exhaust for this bike/year.
Also heard some comparisons on Utube, and there wasn't much improvement in the sound.
The stock exhaust sounds quite anemic
I got the non-adaptive version. I think the adaptive is cool, but kinda gimmicky. Who’s carving corners at night? Crazy people, that’s who.... I don’t recall where I bought the mirrors, but rizoma products are widely available from lots of big online vendors. This is my third R1200R. I find the stock suspension is fine until around 25-30k miles, then it’s worth upgrading front and back springs. I’m past that point and have a set of Wilbers or Ohlins on my short list. There are a fair amount of exhaust options. Remus, Akropovic, Arrow, Scorpion,etc... All the major manufacturers have end can options for the R1200R. I currently run an Arrow exhaust with stock headers (being replaced with Remus headers this winter) and it sounds nothing like a stock bike.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got the non-adaptive version. I think the adaptive is cool, but kinda gimmicky. Who’s carving corners at night? Crazy people, that’s who....
Actually, those adaptive versions make a huge difference even just tooling around at night... the lean angles they are designed for are minimal and intended for H-D cruisers - no "carving" intended for the benefit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, those adaptive versions make a huge difference even just tooling around at night... the lean angles they are designed for are minimal and intended for H-D cruisers - no "carving" intended for the benefit.
That certainly may be, I've never ridden with an adaptive light on a motorcycle. My car has adaptive corning lights and I suppose I don't mind them. That said, I don't really ride my motorcycle in the dark very often - if you do and it's beneficial to you then the extra $200 or $300 may be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you show a photo of the left side with the exhaust?
Sorry mate, she's already covered and tucked away for the winter (hence the thread). I have an older photo with the arrow can shown below. For future reference, make sure to hit the "reply" button on a post you're replying to so it quotes the OP and notifies them - or else they have no way of knowing you've asked a question unless they randomly come across it as I just did in this case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Motodemic having sale on their led lights.
What made you decide on the adapter black color vs the raw aluminum?
Disd you get the black or graphite inside
Sorry mate, she's already covered and tucked away for the winter (hence the thread). I have an older photo with the arrow can shown below. For future reference, make sure to hit the "reply" button on a post you're replying to so it quotes the OP and notifies them - or else they have no way of knowing you've asked a question unless they randomly come across it as I just did in this case.

View attachment 109539
reflector color

·
Registered
30 Posts

View attachment 109539
Motodemic is having sale today on these.
What made you decide on the black adapter color vs the raw aluminum color?
WHat inside reflector color did you get, black or graphite?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Motodemic is having sale today on these.
What made you decide on the black adapter color vs the raw aluminum color?
WHat inside reflector color did you get, black or graphite?
Black with black inside. I didn't have a preference on color so it came down to the additional 6hp you get with the black vs the alum/graphite combo which is -3hp compared to stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts