BMW R1200R Forum banner

GPR Slip-On, versus SC-Project, versus Arrow, versus other choices

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Mark Jackson 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a reasonably priced, durable, and louder but not obnoxous slip-on exhaust for my 2015 R1200R. The GPR seems to be the cheapest, but don’t want to purchase solely based on price. Recommendations, reviews, words of wisdom appreciated.

#2 ·
My Remus full system us a good combination of reasonably quiet around town and delightfully raucous with the throttle open.

I've never heard an SC on an R but on other bikes they are too frackin' loud.

If you do change the exhaust get a dyno tune or a self tuner like the Rapidbike. Filling in the dips in the torque curve the factory left for emissions rules makes the bike a lot more fun to ride.

#4 ·
No tuning required for slip-on only.
You're not getting the tune only because of the exhaust. The tune fixes suboptimal factory tuning done to meet emissions regulations.

The bike is a lot more fun to ride when the engine runs like it's supposed to.

#5 ·
I have the 2015-16 SC Project end can and couldn’t be happier with it.
It adds a little audio presence without being annoying, with a pleasant burble as the revs drop through 2500rpm. Note, though, that I have the flapper disconnected and an eliminator module fitted, so this allows the burble to come through better, especially in Dynamic mode.
Even with the can’s baffle out it’s acceptable on the road. I tried this on one of my rides to Phillip Island last year (about 5,800km) but it was a bit loud for my taste.
Like pretty much all straight through designs, it allows some of the higher pitches through, which the OEM can mutes, but it doesn’t sound raspy. Some GPR pipes I’ve heard are too raspy for my taste, but I couldn’t speak to the particular model made for our bike.
The can makes the bottom end noticeably more responsive, even without a tune, so much so that I end up riding at lower rpm and reap a fuel economy dividend. Official dyno charts don’t show this - they start at 4,000rpm, above where I normally ride - showing only a smidge more top end (like most legal aftermarket cans).
Of course it looks great - Frau Panzer doing biker chic duties in this photo to show it off.

#6 ·
You're not getting the tune only because of the exhaust. The tune fixes suboptimal factory tuning done to meet emissions regulations.

I can’t really fault the throttle response on my R1250R. It is a little harsh from fully closed but you get used to that. Also you need to be very careful about tuning modern cars and bikes. There are plenty of folks taking money for literally nothing (con merchants), as well as those who just muck things up.

Then there is the insurance issue. Also in the UK if you remove the CAT, the bike is no longer road legal.

Anyway, mine runs just fine with SC Project slip on.

#8 ·
The cheapest, still made in Italy, is the Storm brand, which is practically Mivv, only they use steel instead of say carbon fiber or aluminum.
I bought one for my 2014 R1200R (shipped from Italy to the US) and I'm happy with it.
This is the silver version on Ebay
This is the black version on Ebay
The web page is here

#9 ·
I have the Arrow can, I like the looks and it is titanium w/o an exorbitant price.
I has a removable baffle so you have a choice.
Here is a link to a short video my wife so graciously agreed to take for me even though it was snowing!
No baffle, getting on it pretty hard, rev limiter and quick shifter coming at you at the last part of the video. Cold start and soon it quiets down.

#10 ·
I have a Shark exhaust, bought it used from another group, loud with baffle out but ok when fitted, wife said it drones a bit on the motorway but I don’t notice it, I like the Black finish, has a cover for the join similar to OE, it’s not shown in photo as that is the bike it came off.

Al.

#11 ·
I'm really happy with the Arrow I bought a couple of years ago. Looks appropriate, but yet better than stock. Gives the bike a bit more audible character and is slightly shorter and 6 lbs lighter too, with the flapper removed. Oh, and it was cheap enough that I didn't have to fret over whether this would be a good idea or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.