BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any suggestions on garmin 660 gps mounting bracket. Like who sells one that mounts on the handlebar mounting bolts just in front of the key switch?? A and s BMW sells one for the rt but ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I installed bar end mirrors on my r1200r and I am going to use the stock mirror perches. I have adapters that will change the 10m/1.25 left hand thread to 10m/1.25 right hand thread. Screw a 1" ram ball mount into the mirror perch. You will need a ram ball mount clamp and a ram B-347Ur rectangular mounting plate for the 660. If you do not modify the cable that comes with the Zumo 660 motorcycle cradle, the cradle will have to be permanently attached to your bike.

I purchased a wiring kit that allowed me to cut the length of the cable that comes out of the 660 cradle down to about 1 foot and use only the two power wires. I attached a waterproof quick disconnect connector two those power wires. Used the opposite sex connector on the cable that came with the kit. On my Moto Guzzi, I ran the cable under the tank and wired a 2 prong sae connector that plugs into the Battery Tender pigtail. I can remove all of the gps mounting stuff from the bike and install it only when I need it.

On the R1200R I am going to use the power lead that is near the steering head and use the universal gps power connector from Touratech. I have a waterproof quick disconnect connector that I will attach to that cable so I can remove all of the gps mounting stuff when I do not need the gps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
BMW sells a navigator mount for the 660 and Navi IV (which is a 660 of a different color)

Here is the 660 installed:

Rode with the 660 for about two weeks but hated using the touchscreen with gloves (too much attention away from the road), so I exchanged it for the Navi IV, whose mount has large, haptic buttons on the left. And they're backlit.

See more GPS photos in the link under my sig.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The only issue I have with it is how permanent it is. I ride 95% of the time without a GPS and to have the mount on there all the time detracts from the look of the bike IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do not like how this mount obstructs pretty much the whole instrument cluster. On my F650 the Touratech mount for the Garmin 2610 places the GPS low enough so I can read all the gauges easily. I am wondering if there are other options or how difficult it would be to make one.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
just leave the gps on and the aesthetics won't matter
Handlebar mount w Garmin cradle for me. It's off to the side, not seeing the dash would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Bill

I have Sat Nav V on my 2014 bike ( of course the clocks are different ) however I turned the mount upside down and now I can see my clocks clearly. It may work on your set up.
If you would like a photo I can post one to-morrow.

Greg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi folks,

I got a mount for my Garmin, the cradle bit came with the GPS but I can't remember where I got the mount from though, sorry.

Cheers,
Muz

·
Registered
75 Posts
I remember now. I got the bar mount here Bar Mounts

I had to cut two sides off the round top plate and then it bolted directly to the Garmin cradle.

Cheers,
Muz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts