BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
If I ever get my act together I was going to try to build something in Arduino that tracked GPS and lean angle of the bike.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
That looks pretty neat. I suppose you'd have to provide your own SIM card for connectivity. If you could do the tracking on Google Maps or something, that would also be great for more than just tracking a stolen bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Emile, have you ordered and tested this tracker ?
I'm about to order one at DX, but the cheaaaaap price makes me hesitate. I have googled "LSON TX-5" in vain, no review.

Most of those chinese trackers send http links to chinese map services... I'd just need a google maps link !

·
Super Moderator
5,408 Posts
They seem like a good idea, but some things to consider:
  • Needs to be 4G compatible.
  • Ongoing subscription fees.
  • Need power supply for the tracker so it can be permanently installed.
  • Small enough to conceal somewhere that’s not easily discovered by a thief.
  • Contemporary BMW’s cannot be started without the key/fob so you’re guarding against a thief that will carry your bike away, or will discover the key/fob.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ongoing subscription fees
The cheapest option for a SIM in Australia is a Belong one which cost just $10 per month, unlimited calls and SMS, and 1gb data with rollover. Belong is a Telstra company and works (almost) everywhere where Telstra does (some off-grid spots in outback areas).

I have considered wiring one of the cheap GSM GPRS trackers (cost around $30) - discretely fitted somewhere under seat would probably be good enough as the thief can't access that area with key.

This would make tracking the bike a breeze if it is stolen. The tracker can also send a movement alert so you get an earlier warning if it gets lifted!

·
Super Moderator
5,408 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,408 Posts
For Aussies, this came up on my social media feed (someone is listening ...)

$147 up front and $70 p.a.

Family could track you if you wanted ... (subject to network coverage).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts