BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would join you guys to see what's out there on the 12R. Got it in my mind to change my GS for an R and have been checking out various stuff to how much can be bought to put my mark on it......loads.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Welcome

There is not much I can tell you about the R since you already have a GS.

Pretty much the same bike, just the R is better looking (on my eyes)

The GS has lots more accessories and the 2013 is part liquid cooled, and has a sliper clutch :). I'm sure the R will have the same engine/updates soon and I'll upgrade then.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome

There is not much I can tell you about the R since you already have a GS.

Pretty much the same bike, just the R is better looking (on my eyes)

The GS has lots more accessories and the 2013 is part liquid cooled, and has a sliper clutch :). I'm sure the R will have the same engine/updates soon and I'll upgrade then.
Thanks for the welcome Hoshiko, I'm off up to London this week so will check out what's on show. Not that bothered about the l/c engine although as I've got another bike with a slipper clutch, that would be a nice option.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Not to put too fine a point on it, the GS is butt-ugly. Unless you are doing more dirt and off road. . .well, it's butt ugly. You can dress it up with Dakar accessories, but. . it's butt ugly. The front looks like a French can opener, the side and back look like a Chinese bike pretending to be a Honda.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
...the GS isn't butt ugly, is it? Depends who's butt it is.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Stop being so subtle and tell us how you really feel. :)

Not to put too fine a point on it, the GS is butt-ugly. Unless you are doing more dirt and off road. . .well, it's butt ugly. You can dress it up with Dakar accessories, but. . it's butt ugly. The front looks like a French can opener, the side and back look like a Chinese bike pretending to be a Honda.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
:funnypost:

I 1/2 agree with the Doc, the GS it's not the best looking bike out there, and the R might as well be, but the updates of the new GS.:001_tt1:

I'm not going to change my R for a GS, and I'm also sure those upgrades will be on the great looking R soon, but if I was on the market for a bike right now, I might just end on the butt ugly GS :confused::confused::dizzy::death:

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I think I'm wrong. Looking at the GS in more detail. . from the back and sides it's a butt-ugly Chinese Honda knockoff pretending to be a Ducati Monster. My apologies. . .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you've got a beemer and it's boxer then you've one irrespective of whether its a R, GS, or RT. Stick together that my moto. However, i was watching a vid on YT last light (Sad eh) as nothing better to do, and was on this R with two guys in front on GS's. The guy on the R must of had binding brakes because the guys on the GS's were leaving him for dead

·
Registered
15 Posts
Greetings all!

I've mentioned it before; The R12kR is the bike the GS crowd REALLY wanted, they are just not aware of the fact. I have seen the GS crowd around here in their khaki gear and with the complete aluminium kit, with Dakar in their eyes looking lost on the blacktop. The GS looking out of its environment as it is taken for a day-trip before taken home and stored until next sunday afternoon.
Mind, the GS is a great bike for it's purpose but the R12kR has everything; It's a commuter, it's a tourer and it can take yoiu through the countryside quickly enough to satisfy the racer in you. The R12kR is a fast, sharp and nimble ride with enough power to move, it corners like a dream and have amazing brakes.
Words fail me, how I love my R12kR!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Greetings all!

I've mentioned it before; The R12kR is the bike the GS crowd REALLY wanted, they are just not aware of the fact. I have seen the GS crowd around here in their khaki gear and with the complete aluminium kit, with Dakar in their eyes looking lost on the blacktop. The GS looking out of its environment as it is taken for a day-trip before taken home and stored until next sunday afternoon.
Mind, the GS is a great bike for it's purpose but the R12kR has everything; It's a commuter, it's a tourer and it can take yoiu through the countryside quickly enough to satisfy the racer in you. The R12kR is a fast, sharp and nimble ride with enough power to move, it corners like a dream and have amazing brakes.
Words fail me, how I love my R12kR!
I think I just fell in love with the R1200R again!:001_tt1::001_tt1: I better get my bike something for Valentine's day so it knows just how I feel...

I still am not sure about drDave's opinion on the GS... You love the look of the GS, but you settled for the R anyways.. Right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The R-crowd

I think I just fell in love with the R1200R again!:001_tt1::001_tt1: I better get my bike something for Valentine's day so it knows just how I feel...

I still am not sure about drDave's opinion on the GS... You love the look of the GS, but you settled for the R anyways.. Right?

Judging the GS by looks only would be unfair, its definitely not pretty. To judge the GS by appearance is risky territory, the proverbial snake-pit. Venom and bile will fly and you will receive some well-deserved vicious bites.
No maker will design a motorcycle like the GS without purpose. The Beemer Boys have developed the GS through the years with dedication to maintain this ride's legendary status. It has become a benchmark of ruggedness, reliability, power and ergonomy. The GS will take you reasonably comfortable around donkey paths almost anywhere, you being brave enough. I close my eyes and see images of determined lexplorers, with dirt on their eyeballs, riding a GS up a steep hill at the source of the Nile or a gorge by the Lake Baikal.
Okay, now let's judge the GS by it's appearance using above criteria. You see a wonder of technical engineering, developed with dedication over many years. It's a result of decades of cumulative knowledge with purpose on it's mind. Strong, versatile and reliable it's a beuaty in it's own right!
The only creatures surviving a nuclear world war will be mutant cockroaches, and they will ride around on GS's.
Let's join the GS crowd and remain faithful to this wonderful, nine decades long line of motorcycle design and engineering. May the boxer prevail, whether it's a GS, a R or the S, the BMW R-line has reached it's legendary status by it's own right!
And, finally, the Roadster is my choice in this line. It is the most perfect motorcycle I have ever owned and I will search no more!

Brgds
Halonk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well folks, went to Park Lane in London on Thursday and put myself astride the classic R they have there, first time I'd seen one let alone sat on one. Mat's a great guy there and talked his little socks off. Didn't need to because pictures just don't do it justice. Just got to talk trade-in next week and it could be bye bye GS and MV, hello classic 12R. Will be the first one on my home patch. He tells me it will the last one to get the l/c engine, so good decision to buy this year or soon you won't get one.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Good decision. The GS does have it's advantages but only if you venture off road. Unless you're doing a Ewan and Charley the R is much better suited to a life on the road. :001_smile:

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
"If you've got a beemer and it's boxer then you've one irrespective of whether its a R, GS, or RT. Stick together that my moto."
+1 The dogs
We all love the Roadster on this Forum, but perhaps, just maybe we are all a bit odd. Boxer Riders. We may be out powered by K bikes, out numbered by Japanese bikes, and drowned out by H-Ds, but let's stick together. Boxers are the best !!
Noel Coward wrote "Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."
We're unique. We march to a different drum. Boxer riders have panache !!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep. Yet another great year for boxer sales.
On the note of the impending purchase of the R classic, it's got a sports screen fitted and not sure if that will be good enough to keep the wind blast at bay.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Due to recently developing personal circumstances i've had to put the R on hold folks...........I'll be back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts