BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Joined the forum so I could do some research. Happened across an R1200R today. Wasn't looking for one, but it sorta grabbed me and held my attention. Sat on it for a minute and was amazed at the comfort.

I sold my R1100S before moving out here and I've been kicking myself ever since. I'd like to have another one, but I'd also really prefer something newer. The R12R seems like it might fit the bill for me.

For me, I find the R12R kind of understated and I like that. Been looking at Triumphs, too...but for the money, this might be the right ride. I'm going to try and demo one soon.

Shiny sides up and stuff,

-billy

Premium Member
Welcome,

I 'upgraded' from a R1100s to the R1200R and for the same reason. My old S was 10 years old and had developed the odd fault. I could have had them fixed but something else age related going wrong would always be in the back of my mind, not what you want in the middle of rural France on a 2 week road trip!!!

The R1200R is everything, and more. The seating position is much more upright but very comfortable. The engine is much smoother, puts out a bit more power but returns slightly better fuel economy.

Make the decision, you won't regret it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome,

I 'upgraded' from a R1100s to the R1200R and for the same reason. My old S was 10 years old and had developed the odd fault. I could have had them fixed but something else age related going wrong would always be in the back of my mind, not what you want in the middle of rural France on a 2 week road trip!!!

The R1200R is everything, and more. The seating position is much more upright but very comfortable. The engine is much smoother, puts out a bit more power but returns slightly better fuel economy.

Make the decision, you won't regret it.
Thanks Dave. All the time I had my 11S, I had the nagging, dreaded fear of the clutch input shaft failure. They're beautiful bikes, and they're getting a bit collectible, but I need something a bit more...reassuring.

We'll see how it goes. Thanks!

Premium Member
+1 Everything dave said. A good R1200S might sway you, but the 1100 won't satisfy & thrill you like the new Roadster.

Premium Member
Clem, don't quite agree about the R1100s not satisfying and thrilling. It did everything I ever asked of it and only let down by it age.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I actually did talk to an R1200S guy and he talked me out of it. It's not nearly as sport-touring oriented as the R11S was/is and is not only more tightly-sport-focused, but as you know, much harder to replace if something goes wrong.

I am sorta looking at the R12R as a sleeper, as it were. Other candidates right now include a Tiger 1050 and a Tiger 800 roadie. I like the Explorer but it's a bit too much money right now.

Premium Member
Hey Killbilly, welcome.
First, I love DC, one of my good friends lives and works there (Oyamel 401 7th Street NW), I find myself going 4-5 times a year.

The bus is cheap and there is one that leaves from Atlantic terminal in Brooklyn, 10 minutes from my home, I drove there couple of times, and also took my R once. No need to say which transportation method I liked the most.

I think, the R is the best of the bunch you have in mind.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Killbilly, welcome.
First, I love DC, one of my good friends lives and works there (Oyamel 401 7th Street NW), I find myself going 4-5 times a year.

The bus is cheap and there is one that leaves from Atlantic terminal in Brooklyn, 10 minutes from my home, I drove there couple of times, and also took my R once. No need to say which transportation method I liked the most.

I think, the R is the best of the bunch you have in mind.
Just had dinner there a couple of weeks ago. Good stuff. I live about a 15-minute bicycle ride from there.

Gonna have to demo the Tiger and R12R to see what I like better. Tough call. I like em' both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts