BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently living in the city in Mass. Have a house in the mountains of New Hampshire. Will be moving full time to NH in the next year or two.

Giving serious thought to buying a R1200R.

House in the mountains is 10 miles up a gravel road. How is the R1200R on gravel roads?

RonL

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
You'll need a MudSling, maybe an oil cooler guard, but the gyroscope Roadster can roost with the best of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ANY modern motorcycle is fine on gravel roads (there's a guy in the U.K. been around the world several times on a Yamaha R-1, for heaven's sake). As Clem says, you'll want a rear hugger of some description to keep the dust and dirt away from the shock area. Other than that, just ride it.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Hey Ron, which btw is the Spanish name for RUM and it's lovely if you mix it with some soda water and a touch of coke.
Putting my alcoholism aside, I think you'll be better with the GS, that bike is already prepared for semi off road.

If you are really set on the R, then just follow Clem's advice and you'll be set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Pretty much set on the R.

The roads are pretty well maintained, but they are gravel roads.

My thoughts are to leave the 97 F350 up at the mountain and to use the R to commute up to the mountain. It's a 180 mile trip.

RonL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey RonL,

I am also in MA, I'm in Norfolk near the Wrenthum Outlets. You cannot go wrong with the R1200R. The bike is awesome, it handles fantastically, is great for touring and commuting. I bought mine in March last year and between Mar and end of Nov I put on a few miles shy of 10K. The more I ride it the better it becomes.

Where you planning on buying it from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi RonL. Good to see another Bay Stater. I am in Cambridge and have a 2007 R1200R, which I bought last summer. I can't say enough good things about it. I have continued riding all through the winter, except the last couple of weeks. Incredibly solid and capable machine. I bet if you took it slowly and carefully, you would have no problem on the gravel road. I would not let that stop me from the purchase.

I bought it from GBM in Arlington. Overall a good experience. Staff is knowledgeable, and it helps that they are conveniently located on the 77 bus route. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, thanks for the replies.

I would like to buy from A New Hampshire dealer. New Hampshire BMW dealers seem few and far between.

RonL

·
Registered
338 Posts
Definitely check out Max BMW just south of Portsmouth on Rt1. I have had some of my services done there, they were very transparent and had me come over while doing some of the work. They also installed my shield for me and did an awesome job.

Ron,
Max BMW is in NH as, I am sure you know.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I cant say enough good about Max BMW, I went shopping there in January for new ride and they were extremely professional and patient. They followed up with me several days after my visit and even though I didn't buy there, no hard feelings, they told me they were there for anything needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts