BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here. I pick up my new-to-me 2017 R1200R tomorrow, and I'm pretty geeked about it.

My last bike was a 2006 Triumph R3 Classic. Nice bike, but I discovered I'm just not a cruiser guy at heart. And any of you familiar with the 1st gen R3's know how big and cumbersome they are. Before the R3, I had a Honda 919 that I absolutely adored, and it's that kind of practical-sport-bike high that I'm chasing now.

I've been riding for nearly twenty years and this will be my first BMW. They've always tugged at the heartstrings a bit, since my parents both hail from Germany, and I've always wanted a BMW of some sort, auto or motorcycle.

Looking forward to spending time here!

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
Welcome Sausage Creature. Pleasure to meet a fellow Hunter S. Thompson fan.

Hope you enjoy your new-to-you '17 R12R. As your first Beemer you may find as many have that the more you ride it the more you appreciate it. Having said that, I wouldn't kick a Honda 919 out of bed for leaking oil.

Hope you manage to find good riding in your area, with the nearest mountains maybe five hours away.

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: Hndymn

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
2,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sausage Creature. (y) A picture is required as proof of ownership. :whistle:

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
Thanks SC. That will also meet the Forum Fingerprint Authentication Requirement. Well done! ;)

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
2017 R1200R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Initial riding impressions:

1) Motor has more than enough giddyup to keep me entertained. Not quite as much right off the bottom as I expected...stalled it once taking off from a stoplight. Of course my last ride (Triumph Rocket3) had enough low end torque to pull a small house and a much heavier flywheel, so it will take me some time to adjust.

2) Brakes and handling are outstanding, but then again I'm comparing it to a rolling ore freighter that turned and stopped like...well...a rolling ore freighter. I particularly enjoyed the excellent braking feel, as this was perhaps the R3's weakest area.

3) My only real complaint so far is the rider seat. It's shape locks me into one constant position, with little to no ability to shift around. Not an issue on my brief ride home from the dealership, but if I ever plan to do any distance riding, this might become a problem. Legroom seemed a bit cramped to (I'm 6'1") Can you tell by the photo if this bike might have a low seat installed? The paperwork didn't mention it, but it kinda feels like it might. Maybe a taller seat will help both problems.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
Seats & screens are probably the two most common rider issues. It can take time and get expensive to make the bike work for you.

Some riders have had success with BMW Comfort Seats, Sargent, Wunderlich and Russell Day Long saddles, as well as other slightly lesser known brands (or custom seats). Also consider an AirHawk inflatable seat pad or Sheepskin seat cover.

Glad you're otherwise enjoying the bike so far. Give it a little time, it should grow on you.

Best, Dave

·
Registered
123 Posts
With your height it probably makes sense to switch to BMW’s sport seat. You’ll gain 2 inches of legroom and because the seat is flat you’ll be able to move around more easily.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
And yes, that looks like a low seat by the dish shape. Dealers won't always know when it's a used bike, as the original owner may swap at pickup time.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 r1200r
36 Posts
View attachment 116461

Here you go. Sorry about the finger. .got the bike all buttonedup in the garage before I noticed it.

Welcome from a native Floridian trapped in So Cal. ! I have the '16 version of your bike.
I'm only 5'8" but have longish legs for my size - totally feel cramped and want to move up to the high seat.

I'd love to ride Florida. Not a lot of twisties near you but there sure is some beautiful country rides just slightly southwest of you.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Welcome aboard.

The seat looks like the standard one for that model and at 6ft in the old money, I’d agree with your assessment of it. There are two higher BMW options, the High Rider Seat, with a pretty small scoop, and the Sport Seat, which is flat front to back.
For some reason, BMW fitted the High seat as standard to the 1200RS whereas the R got what you have. When I ordered my 2015, there was no way to try out the Sport seat, so I wasn’t game to specify it, but a quick swap in the dealership with an RS confirmed the High seat was a much better option for me. My ageing legs/hips still don’t have as much room as I’d prefer, but I’ve managed fine for over 100,000km. Others have reported that the Sport seat isn’t the plank it looks.

This thread describes the seat options, noting that the 1250R comes stock with the High seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts