BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just joined the forum as I am looking to purchase a R1200R sometime this week. Thought I would ask some advice first, since you all have the most experience.

I am currently on a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 that I will trade (and he offered within 500 of the Triumph dealer)

Trying to decide between a 2011 Classic with ASC and ABS, 2600 miles total (guy traded it for a 2013 90 year anniversary model). Price: 13990. Dealer will throw in the BMW system cases (free this month with new purchase, will do it for this as well), and do a annual service on it. Drove it the other day. GREAT bike.

Other choice is a brand new bronze 2013 model, with the electronic suspension, free system cases, ABS, ASC. 16460 (incl destination fee). I am guessing not much difference between the way they ride.

So for $2500 i'd get a new bike, but 2600 miles on the Classic is basically brand new.

What would you do?? Thanks in advance for this great resource

·
Registered
139 Posts
First off you're fortunate the dealer in STL is great to deal with. For me the mileage isn't an issue , 2K is nothing. Although I love the look of the classic I don't like having to deal with tubes in the wheels. I take a few long trips a year and should I get a nail in the tire I want to be able to easily repair it on the side of the road. If it were me I'd choose the new bike sans ESA and spend the 'ESA money' on an Ohlins setup.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fudge, they only have the one 2013 in stock unfortunately, but excellent point on the spoked wheels.

Dealer seems great. Love the fact they have the keys in all the used bikes. The salesman I worked with was like, "grab a bike, enjoy yourself, ride as many as you want" in a word, awesome. was like a kid

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Better deal on the 2600 2011. No major changes except cosmetic and the absence of the fuel strip indicator on the 2011 (and search the list about that debacle!). Great choice either way! Let us know!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
It's the 13's that don't have it. It seems to be an almost inevitable failed part at very low mileage. Seems like half the people on the this list have replaced it at one point or another. BMW got rid of it entirely in the late 12's and 13's; not exactly a fix, unless cutting off your head is a fix for a bad haircut. . ..

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
On the other hand, I've about about 3k miles on my bike and I add a capful of Star-Tron superstitiously every tankful, and the strip hasn't failed. . .yet. . .(2012 Classic).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drew11m, are you from St. Louis proper? My family lives in Wentzville, and before I joined the Navy I lived in O'Fallon, MO.
I actually live in St Charles, so not far away. I've been in St Louis area seven years now. We just had dinner at MCGurks in O'Fallon the other night.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got 6K on my 12' classic, and no problems with the fuel strip yet "knock on wood". I personally would go for the classic. It's already broken in for one and I'm partial to the classic's look. BMW offers that road side assistance, so don't worry about the spoked wheel issue. I think the spoke wheels set it apart from every other BMW. Just my .2 cents.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got 6K on my 12' classic, and no problems with the fuel strip yet "knock on wood". I personally would go for the classic. It's already broken in for one and I'm partial to the classic's look. BMW offers that road side assistance, so don't worry about the spoked wheel issue. I think the spoke wheels set it apart from every other BMW. Just my .2 cents.
I am going to take one more test ride tomorrow of the 2011. Sit down with them, have them write down the replacement of the 3M strip on the racing stripe on the tank (gas spilled and discolored the plastic), do its annual service, and install BMW service bags to ensure i have it in writing. Then review its maintenance history to ensure its not a hangar queen.

Then its deposit down for them to start the prep and lock in the bike and 9 days later i bring my T-Bird back to trade, pay the balance and ride away in BMW style

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Good choice! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good choice! :)
I am excited. Financially it saves 2500 that i could put on other things with, and that kind of mileage for a 2011 is nothing. I just hope it goes well tomorrow and they dont play any games. i dont get the impression that they would as i sent an email laying out everything they told me including prices, equipment, work on the 11, trade value, new BMW case, service.

Will post again tomorrow! Thanks for all the great advice folks!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Drew,

Based on general hearsay, you will get well over 100k miles on these bikes without them even breathing hard. It's been said on this list, that the R's are cop bikes; police use them, leave them running all day, every day, in every kind of weather and they just keep on eating asphalt. I haven't yet heard of anyone trading in their R 'because it was worn out'. . . Keep us posted! :)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I am excited. Financially it saves 2500 that i could put on other things with, and that kind of mileage for a 2011 is nothing. I just hope it goes well tomorrow and they dont play any games. i dont get the impression that they would as i sent an email laying out everything they told me including prices, equipment, work on the 11, trade value, new BMW case, service.

Will post again tomorrow! Thanks for all the great advice folks!
I have never had any problems with my dealership. They have always been straight-forward with me, which I appreciate. They didn't feed me any BS about my failed fuel strip; they just said that they fail, and they'll replace it under warranty. I've really appreciated it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
On the other hand, I've about about 3k miles on my bike and I add a capful of Star-Tron superstitiously every tankful, and the strip hasn't failed. . .yet. . .(2012 Classic).
I've got a non 2012 Classic with 12430 miles on it and never put Star-Tron in it and I've had zero issues with my fuel gauge :D

Maybe the differentiator is the Classic/Non Classic ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got a non 2012 Classic with 12430 miles on it and never put Star-Tron in it and I've had zero issues with my fuel gauge :D

Maybe the differentiator is the Classic/Non Classic ;)

what is this Star Tron of which you speak? fuel additive?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
what is this Star Tron of which you speak? fuel additive?
Magic enzymes and quarks that repel fuel strip eating gremlins....fuel additive recommended by my dealer...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
And the 2011 is the winner by a wide margin!!
And it is now mine. Pick up on the 2nd.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
She's a beauty! Classic black BMW. What's her name? The pannier cases will come in handy. I love having mine. Do you have plans for adding accessories? Saved $2500 on the deal. Think that you are going to be very happy with her.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She's a beauty! Classic black BMW. What's her name? The pannier cases will come in handy. I love having mine. Do you have plans for adding accessories? Saved $2500 on the deal. Think that you are going to be very happy with her.
Love the panniers, very classic look with them. I dont know much about the accessories yet, i plan on getting a long couple rides on her and getting a feel for her, and see what kind of farkles you all have been putting on it.

Cant wait to get back from my vacation. Was a little sad turning over my T-Bird, but hopefully she'll bring her torque monster engine to someone who will enjoy it as well as I did.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts