BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo everyone, glad to be here. I now own a shiny ‘15 R1200RS. What a machine. My only other BMW experience was an 1150 (I think) leant to me by Baldrick while he serviced my V7. I liked it. I’m currently couriering blood and other pathology (eek) on behalf of the NHS on my trusty NC750X. My 194,000 mile ‘05 CBF600SA is having a snooze in the garage, awaiting a cosmetic mild restoration. Hallo!

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Welcome JasperB.

Gorgeous RS! Really like the color & matching wheels. Have not seen that before, but then I don't get out much ;)

Think you'll be impressed with the manners & performance of your 'new' RS. The Boxer engine frequently inspires loyalty. Enjoy!!

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: JasperB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome JasperB.

Gorgeous RS! Really like the color & matching wheels. Have not seen that before, but then I don't get out much ;)

Think you'll be impressed with the manners & performance of your 'new' RS. The Boxer engine frequently inspires loyalty. Enjoy!!

Cheers, Dave
Thanks again, Dave. She was resprayed to echo the R100(90?)RS back in the ‘70’s. Not by me, but it caught my eye.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
I started riding BMWs in '77 and remember those days like they were yesterday.

Sigh, Dave

Reactions: JasperB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started riding BMWs in '77 and remember those days like they were yesterday.

Sigh, Dave
Haha, those were the days. For me, the sheer engineering muscle of the thing is extraordinary. How BMW have stuck with the boxer and refined and refined it, over, what? Must be nearly a century, and produced this, and the 1250… wow. I’ve always been a Honda man. Mainly. Riding the 1200RS (SE) I’m a total convert. I think mine has everything bar keyless ride, which I’m ok about. I’d be sure to lose the fob/drop it down a drain, or something. I was considering a CBF1000, or a Triumph Tiger. I rode by CBF6 to Berlin and back. 9 hours door to door, not including the Chunnel, stopping only for coffee and fuel. 685 miles. We went to Szezcin in Poland for lunch, one Sunday. I was in Berlin filming for 6 weeks, and couldn’t bear to be without transport. I have metal hips, and went through 18 years walking very badly and with a lot of pain, so I’m a stranger to public transport, mainly. Private wheels were my legs for a big chunk of my life… it’s hard, even now, to forget that, actually, I’m a lot more mobile these days… anyway TMI. What a wonderful bike a BMW is! Enuff sed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, those were the days. For me, the sheer engineering muscle of the thing is extraordinary. How BMW have stuck with the boxer and refined and refined it, over, what? Must be nearly a century, and produced this, and the 1250… wow. I’ve always been a Honda man. Mainly. Riding the 1200RS (SE) I’m a total convert. I think mine has everything bar keyless ride, which I’m ok about. I’d be sure to lose the fob/drop it down a drain, or something. I was considering a CBF1000, or a Triumph Tiger. I rode by CBF6 to Berlin and back. 9 hours door to door, not including the Chunnel, stopping only for coffee and fuel. 685 miles. We went to Szezcin in Poland for lunch, one Sunday. I was in Berlin filming for 6 weeks, and couldn’t bear to be without transport. I have metal hips, and went through 18 years walking very badly and with a lot of pain, so I’m a stranger to public transport, mainly. Private wheels were my legs for a big chunk of my life… it’s hard, even now, to forget that, actually, I’m a lot more mobile these days… anyway TMI. What a wonderful bike a BMW is! Enuff sed.
I had a VFR800VTEC which was a hoot, but it had something amiss deep down in its mysterious guts. It was really tough to start in the cold. I changed the throttle bodies, and it was better, for a bit, but, in the end, I swapped it for the Guzzi V7 (Racer) which was nice, slow, and suffered from a dodgy batch of Lambdas… Guzzi, in their “wisdom” put a new ECU in it, at their cost, to no improvement. Nobody thought to change the lambdas… I disconnected them, and the problem ceased. But. 54 horses. I need a bike that’ll cross continents, occasionally.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Welcome to the forum JasperB 👍. Will you be using Annie for couriering occasionally or is that done solely with the NC?

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,841 Posts
Welcome to the forum JasperB. (y) You're a bit over dressed for my taste but it looks a nice bike.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I shall remove some clothing.
He was referring to the fact that you have frame-mounted fairings on Annie... LOL! (This is the R1200R forum, afterall... Nude beach for R bikes, so to speak.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He was referring to the fact that you have frame-mounted fairings on Annie... LOL! (This is the R1200R forum, afterall... Nude beach for R bikes, so to speak.)
Oh dear. Am I trespassing? It’s been lovely knowing you all, I’ll get my coat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ps, I was actually joking. About the clothes. Humour can be tricky on the inter web!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Guzzi V7 …….
But. 54 horses. I need a bike that’ll cross continents, occasionally.
For what it’s worth, I’ve quite happily crossed Canada on a V7. It’s not technically a continent, but still more than a couple of days wide (about 6,000 km each way).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts