BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I purchased some "grip puppies" (foam grips that go over your original hand grips) for the r1200r, when I warm up the heated grips, the throttle binds, (bit like what a cruise control does) and the spring won't pull it back, you have to forcefully twist it back yourself.

Has anyone else found this when using the heated grips and the grip puppies together...I really like my grip puppies, as I find the thin BMW ones a little boney.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've erd of these puppies can you trim end of them.
I did that, and that cured it when I had them on my f800 at the time, but on the r1200r I trimmed them first then when it started binding i stopped and I rolled the ends back, and still it was binding when you twisted the throttle, ended up splitting one of the grip puppies:cursing: so wrapped some rubber tape around the puppies on each end and thought should be okay as not so tight, but still, it started binding when the grips heated up.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Grip puppies were 125mm long when I got them. Cut off 13-14mm. The remaining 111-112 length fits fine with no binding. Take the tape off both ends, get another pair, and try again. Heater grip is NOT your problem.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Erin,
I have knock off grip pups on my 12 and they do not do that w or wo the heat on.

John
Hi, thanks for your reply, what is the brand of your knock off ones?

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grip puppies were 125mm long when I got them. Cut off 13-14mm. The remaining 111-112 length fits fine with no binding. Take the tape off both ends, get another pair, and try again. Heater grip is NOT your problem.
Hi Clem, what do you mean by "tape", I did cut them down about 15mm off each end, its rather puzzling, the heated grips on this r1200r does seem to get really hot compared to the heated grips on the f800s I have.

I would like Lawrence of Suburbia to chim in as I noticed his list of farkles has grip puppies listed...but on the other hand he keeps reminding us all of the lovely temperatures in Bisbane so I bet his heated grips are never used! :001_rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Yes, you're heading into the coldest months of winter and the grip heaters will be needed. Glad yours are heating up so well. Some members feel their grips aren't so hot.
Hi Clem, what do you mean by "tape",
I thought you wrote that you had wrapped rubber tape around the grip puppies on each end. ??? Maybe I mis-read your post.
If there is NO tape on both ends to possibly bind the throttle return, check for a kink or tight spot in the throttle cable routing.
The heater units are under the OEM grips, and if they were not factory installed, there may be an issue with smooth fitment. Were they added by a previous owner?
Do you have aftermarket hand guards, a throttle lock, or bar-end mirrors that may cause throttle return issues?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have a couple of questions about the grip pups as well.

>Does the heat still come through the grips ok?
>About how much thicker do the grips become. I ask that as I have big hands and find the stock diameter too small, as it might be giving me some pain in my hands.

Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts

>About how much thicker do the grips become. I ask that as I have big hands and find the stock diameter too small, as it might be giving me some pain in my hands.

Thanks!
I haven't noticed any loss of heat transfer with my grip pups. Also, like you, i found the stock grips too small causing hand cramps over time. The grip pups eliminated those hand issues. My only negative comment with the grip pups is initial cost (for what they are!) and overall longevity...very minor complaints.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I would like Lawrence of Suburbia to chim in as I noticed his list of farkles has grip puppies listed...but on the other hand he keeps reminding us all of the lovely temperatures in Bisbane so I bet his heated grips are never used! :001_rolleyes:
Hi, Erin - L of S chimming (?) in here from sunny Brisbane where it will be 24 C (75 F) today. I have found that the heat level from the grips is definitely diminished due to the Grip Puppies - they act as a pretty-good kind of insulation.

On the other hand - answering Surflj's point - the additional thickness or diameter of the grips with the Puppies in place is much more comfortable, I find - which is the reason I installed them in the first place, as I too was getting some (shoulder) pain that I attributed at least partially to the skinny grips.

I've never found any issue with the grips 'binding', even when I had the heaters up to the 'well-done' level on a ride south a cuppal months ago in nippy temperatures.

Hope this helps...

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts

Grip Puppies Right.

Grip Puppies Left.

They measure about 12 cm. in circumference. About flush with the OEM grip ends and the barends. Feels like a handfull after the smaller OEM grips.
Throttle rocker won't go on over them.(well, not easily anyway) Most throttle locks should work fine.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, you're heading into the coldest months of winter and the grip heaters will be needed. Glad yours are heating up so well. Some members feel their grips aren't so hot.
Hi Clem, what do you mean by "tape",
I thought you wrote that you had wrapped rubber tape around the grip puppies on each end. ??? Maybe I mis-read your post.
If there is NO tape on both ends to possibly bind the throttle return, check for a kink or tight spot in the throttle cable routing.
The heater units are under the OEM grips, and if they were not factory installed, there may be an issue with smooth fitment. Were they added by a previous owner?
Do you have aftermarket hand guards, a throttle lock, or bar-end mirrors that may cause throttle return issues?
Yes I did do a couple of loose winds of rubber tape after the grip puppies were split on trying to take any pressure off the ends. So won't be the tape...throttle cable has been smooth previous to install, and hand guards were on the bike...not sure if the BMW heated grips were added afterwards...its a bike that was imported from the states from the only other New Zealand owner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have original grip puppies on my rt and have no problems. Heat comes through ok and throttle returns as normal. My only gripe is the thickness of the bars when fitted, and i have quite big hands, the idea of these is to cut down on vibration, i hope they will not be needed when my new r1200r arrives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 R1200R and I put the Grip Puppies on it. The heated grips work perfectly. The size feels much better to me than the original grips. They do not bind up. They also absorb vibration so my hands don't go numb. I really like them.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank-you for the replies, what im going to do is pull the twist mechanism apart lube it re assemble and see if this stops the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks!
Yes heat comes through, not as hot, I would think this would help your pain, I have small hands and find the grip puppies soothing as they are softer than the standard grips. They are not alot thicker, but you will notice the difference all the same.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Ditto, as measured the heat comes through fine. I found the oem grips too narrow to the extent that my fingers were so curled that circulation was being compromised. They are wider on the RT and on the 1150.

Some one posted the "Grab On" brand...that may have been what mine were.

Mine fit like Clem's, EXCEPT
they are tapered on both ends
they do not extend out as far. There is easily 2-3 mm both medially and laterally.
As stated somewhere, my throttlemeister works fine with them in place

They feel much better, but they do seem like they wear faster than the OEMs??? But after 10k miles with them, there is no need for replacemnt or regret

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts