BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how many of us.....replced our oem grips, and what did they replace it with....and or how many just put other grips on top of original grips....ie. hush puppies. or somethig similar.

Does it improve vibration....which seems minimal to me.....but more curious.

THanks all.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Yeah, to be sure the HP2 levers are $nice$.
What aftermarket levers do you prefer?

As for the rubber grips, it funny you should mention that. Lots of Japanese sport-touring owners in NC are actually replacing their rubber grips with BMW grips. My hooligan son tells me at the Wed. Bike Night gatherings it is very common to see this.
Grip puppies are popular with the hardcore touring guys. Old guys (like myself) in my Beemer Club here in Japan use a high quality leather tennis racket wrap to get the same effect.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Clem, what do wraps and hush puppies do to the functioning of the heated grips? For me, the heat is a must for half the year.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
They slightly reduce the warm-up time required for heater grips in coldest weather. Mine are fine.:001_tt2: drDave says Weeny-grips don't work anyway!!!:dizzy:
They increase the diameter size of the grips, so on a long ride, muscle cramps & fatigue sets in slower. This is the best function. IMO:001_smile:
They dull and dampen feedback from the front tire and road surface, so it's not really a smart thing for the racetrack. IMO:ninja:
But on a long road trip, the damping effect is just what I want.:cool:
Since they don't slip quite as easily as OEM rubber grips, it can be dangerous.:eek: Rider must relax grip completely for return spring to close throttle.
They feel great! Just a bit of comfy cushion.:001_wub:

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
If you don't want to loose warmth but like to improve comfort, I'll recommend to get a pair of gel padded gloves.

This are the ones I have and use the most, the stitching is on the out side too, the most comfortable pair of gloves I have ever owned.

And if you install hand guards, you can even keep wearing this pair for short rides during the winter.

Gloves OSI Micro Cool Gloves - Titanium | Helmet City

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The narrow diameter of the OEMs was uncomfortable. My fingertips were going numb even in not cold weather. I figured it was from compromising blood supply bwcause of the bend of my fingers and the thickness of the gloves. I could feel the blood rush back when I straightened them.
The diameter of the grips on the 1150 and on the 12 RTs is fatter and more comfortable imo.
So I put on a hush puppies knock off. The comfort of the grip is much better, and it doesn't seem to really adversely affect the heated grips.
I will second the rec for handguards though. That adds more to comfort from the elements than anything else.
John

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts