BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,089 Posts
Dr. S, you have pretty much mirrored the comments of one of friends who Transion from Camhead R to a GS LC. The other was too one-eyed and defensive I switched off. Thanks again for your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Now that I own a GS, I can add my opinion as well.
I always wanted a GS, but felt a little intimidated by it's height, being only 5.6"
I purchased an R12R in February 2016 after test riding many bikes (no GS, as too tall) and I enjoyed every minute on this bike. It is a cracking motorcycle and I wish I could have kept it.
When the itch for a GS came back, I found out that BMW makes factory lowered bikes and I sat on one to test (customer bike).
I decided to take a normal GS with a low seat for a test ride and was blown away, as it ticked nearly all the boxes for me, but the front end felt a bit "weird".

I let the GS idea go and convinced myself that the R12R is good enough for all I want to do.
Then came a trip to Tasmania in March 2017 and I had two guys in the group with a GS. They were very fast and always looked very comfortable.
Back to the BMW dealer and another test ride. The front end is still strange, especially when riding to the dealer with the R.
I like it.... But it is not cheap...

Then I learned that BMW is introducing the Rallye and Rallye X and the Rallye can be head with in a lowered version, cornering ABS and self levelling suspension.
I signed the order in early May and took delivery last week Friday.
The R12R was sold in early July and I didn't ride for a few weeks (too cold anyway).

My neighbour had a KTM Adventure and he was looking for a riding buddy to go on dirt roads, something I wanted to do for a long time, but never had a suitable bike.
He has since purchased a GS Rallye as well and bought a "normal height" version off the show room floor.

The first long ride was last week Sunday and the front end didn't feel weird anymore, the bike handled beautifully and I am still surprised how quick it is.
The weight and the height (even the lowered version) are the only "negatives". but only when moving the bike in a car park or similar.
Everything else is positive and it is the best bike I have ever owned or ridden.
It is more comfortable than the R, is as fast around the Twisties as the R (at least I am) and I really like the wind protection.
Is it a better bike than the R?
No, it is not. As it is a personal preference and we are not all the same.

I really enjoyed this forum and it's members.
Thanks for all your advice and help and I will say G'day at some stage!

Attachments

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Since you asked...WARNING: GS TALK FOLLOWS
...For me the GS is more comfortable....the GS's wider bars are still very quick to steer, but more forgiving and less intense on long rides--you can relax a bit more...the roadster is a lot more cramped especially noted on the seat to peg difference, and cramping of the knees...the balance of the GS is nonpareil. I think it's in a different league balance-wise to the roadster. Maybe the wider bars help with that?...the larger front wheel of the G can make the steering a little less quick than the 17" front of the roadster. However, it has the advantage of smoothing out the roads for me. My hometown streets are awful so the 19" front mitigates that a bit. The larger front could also add to the sense of balance....there is an increase in confidence for me also, but it could very well be related to the geometry of the bike, ie, the wider bars, the balance issue, the smoother ride from the front because of the bigger wheel, maybe a bit more upright. All those things could allow a poorer rider to ride better....the GS ain't a soccer mom's ride. It is plenty bada$$.
...Then came a trip to Tasmania in March 2017 and I had two guys in the group with a GS. They were very fast and always looked very comfortable...The first long ride was last week Sunday and the front end didn't feel weird anymore, the bike handled beautifully and I am still surprised how quick it is...Everything else is positive and it is the best bike I have ever owned or ridden...It is more comfortable than the R, is as fast around the Twisties as the R (at least I am) and I really like the wind protection...Is it a better bike than the R? No, it is not. As it is a personal preference and we are not all the same...
Just picked up my own '18 R12GS Rallye the other day, also owned two R12GS hexheads in the past. After two days the new GS feels more comfortable going faster smoother easier than my '09 R does after five years, so that says a lot for the GS geometry and suspension and ergos - the technology probably helps but I felt the same way on my old '06 R12GS with Ohlins and other mods so IMO it's more a GS thing than a new technology thing, though the new technology is certainly impressive. I'll echo Dr. Strangelove's comments about the GS comfort and relaxed feel and steering, the steering is not slow but it is linear and predictable and confidence-inspiring, I look ahead and the GS simply rolls with the road through the turns seemingly without effort on my part, naturally and intuitively, actually rather "brilliant" (channeling Jeremy Clarkson ;) ) like a sport bike dressed in a dirt bike suit.

This is in no way meant to denigrate The Joy Of The R, I'm keeping my R because I still love riding it - but from a certain perspective the GS is so good it makes me wonder why anyone would ride anything else? Just one man's opinion and no contention intended!

Cheers, Dave :)

Attachments

Reactions: momchilk

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'm here for the Rallye pics :smile2:

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
The Rallye is smokin' good lookin'.

Rode him 180 miles today. Hot & humid like riding in a blast furnace, butt hurt, ears ringing - but WHAT A RIDE!

I was wrong about him being a sport bike in a dirt bike suit - he's an F1 bike in a WRC suit (or something like that).

Never owned a bike like this before. Great whopping perch to get into The Zone.

Try to keep up ;)

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just came back from a trip to the Alpine region of Victoria and we had a blast.
Some people that I used to ride with when I had the R, but have not been riding with since I have the GS, commented that I look more composed and actually ride a lot faster.
Hmmm... either I have improved or the bike is "magic", or a combination of both.

I have road tyres on the bike and ditched the crappy Anakee 3 tyres after 9,000km

The Rallye was what I purchased, but now every second GS in AUS is a Rallye, so I changed the colours a little.

Attachments

41 - 46 of 46 Posts