BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Im currently riding a 2015 GS1200, and am seriously considering a 2018 R1200R but have some concerns about the amount of buffeting I might get after being used to more fairing around me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 R12R. 2020 K1600GA. 1986 V65 Magna.
3 Posts
I get zero buffeting on a naked. A good full face helmet works. I get buffeting when riding a bike with small windscreens. I have a K16 GA with a touring screen and a r12r with no screen.

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
I had 3xGSes immediately before getting my R a few months ago. The GS with a larger touring screen (I had both GSA + X-Screen Tour and also Touratech) gave nice cruising with lid-up ability. The R definitely takes getting used to in comparison: the windblast with no screen is clean, but whole body windblast is not something you are used to after the GS cocoon. You can definitely get wind protection on the R that shields the upper body using screens like the Wunderlich Marathon screen (or similar). But I actually prefer the aesthetics and managed airflow using just the SportsScreen+XScreenTour. Keeps enough windblast off the chest, but clean airflow around the head.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R nineT SCR
50 Posts
I installed the sport screen on my R + the small spoiler for it. No vibrations, and it provides just the right amount of wind deflection. And I am 6'2"/188cm. I also have the sport handlebar and seat 840mm seat on my bike. Even the standard taller/non-sport windscreen is pretty good option for protection and looks.

You have to remember part of the allure/look of the R vs RS/RT is lack of fairing/screens for the rawer/more vicarial riding feeling.

·
Registered
479 Posts
As mentioned, there's no buffeting with a stock R... and THAT is precisely why I wanted one. Ha ha. Unless there was a barn-door screen covering me (like on my ex-GL1800), I always had buffeting to some degree with all my numerous ex-sport touring motorcycles, including an RT. And living in the desert, a barn-door windscreen is not a solution for me (nor do I like it). So naked bikes were the solution for me. Plus that keeps me from speeding too much, since anything above 90 starts getting uncomfortable after a short while. Plus the feeling of speed is much greater that way. Super happy with clean air everywhere all the time. But I don't tour anymore, and only ride in fair weather. From now on, will just trailer the bike to nice riding places, with my newly acquired single, ride-up/foldable trailer (AlphaSport).

Reactions: BRAD214

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
152 Posts
I also have the sport screen + small spoiler. I took the screen off and really can't tell any diff between it being on or off. Either way, I didn't get any buffeting. The little spoiler must be doing its job.

Land vehicle Head Tire Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
443 Posts
I also have the sport screen + small spoiler. I took the screen off and really can't tell any diff between it being on or off. Either way, I didn't get any buffeting. The little spoiler must be doing its job.

View attachment 113763
I have the same set-up, but I believe the spoiler is there primarily to eliminate annoying/blinding headlight refraction on the windscreen (of any size)…it doesn’t have much to do with wind protection, though I suppose there could be some residual impact. That’s why you won’t see the spoiler on there by itself, it’s only present in combination with a windscreen.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I never removed the spoiler, so I can’t really say if there was any effect from it. There did appear to be aero effects built into the part though. Hence my assumption. I could be mistaken.

The main point was ‘no buffeting‘ either with or without the screen.

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
The under screen spoiler directs air up and underneath the screen, to reduce the air pressure lift and natural turbulence on the trailing edge of the screen. By reducing the trailing turbulence between the upper and lower surface of the windscreen (like on an airplane when it raises the flaps after takeoff), the rider experiences less buffeting and smoother windflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I looked this up (Merrriam-Webster) and I believe you are exactly correct! (y)

spoiler - noun

Definition of spoiler

"2a: a long narrow plate along the upper surface of an airplane wing that may be raised for reducing lift and increasing drag— see AIRPLANE ILLUSTRATION
b: an air deflector on an automobile to reduce the tendency to lift off the road at high speeds."

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
443 Posts
The under screen spoiler directs air up and underneath the screen, to reduce the air pressure lift and natural turbulence on the trailing edge of the screen. By reducing the trailing turbulence between the upper and lower surface of the windscreen (like on an airplane when it raises the flaps after takeoff), the rider experiences less buffeting and smoother windflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, as soon as I posted above, I thought, Wait a minute, the spoiler does have those deep grooves which presumably lead to alleviation of back pressure and subsequent turbulence, so, yeah, i stand corrected…it does seem to be doing double-duty with both glare and turbulence.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On my R the tiny amount of turbulence and buffeting comes from the mirrors and that's not really noticeable until go-to-jail speeds.
Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

'16, Wunderlich flyscreen.

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
On my R the tiny amount of turbulence and buffeting comes from the mirrors and that's not really noticeable until go-to-jail speeds. View attachment 113771

'16, Wunderlich flyscreen.
The Wunderlich fairing you have is a more significant redesign, and is not available for the 1250. It looks good (imho), but I still prefer a more naked design. What is your height?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R nineT SCR
50 Posts
Part # 46638392880 is the taller/high OEM R screen if you wanted vs the sport screen. I think someone one the forum posted a comparison photo on the height/design deltas between the two models.

·
Registered
2019 R1250R HP Black, 2019 R1250GS HP Rally X
27 Posts
I have both a GS and R (1250s) and the buffeting on R is much higher on R, but have found it is more an issue over 125kmh

·
Registered
7 Posts
It will depend on the conditions and riding that you do. I have much earlier model r1150GS (2001) and r1200r (2009) with upgraded windshield. I do notice the difference on the highway but enjoy both. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm on the other direction - selling my R12R since I bought a GS to get out of the wind and the noise. On my 2016 R12R I've used a Wunderlich headlight fairing, two different BMW windshields, and MadStad shield, naked, and a Puig shield. All were noisy AF and that's with earplugs and a Shoei GT Air. In chatting with CalSci and MadStad, they say the design of the front end of the bike is not built for airflow and can't really be quieted for a good many riders - so much so that MadStad even stopped selling shields for it.

Contrast that to my 2015 GS with a Ztechnik shield and it's night/day. I can ride it all day, visor up, in comfort. I wear earplugs to protect my hearing and I don't really need them. Same helmet, same jacket, etc... The GS is exponentially quieter and allows me on-the-fly windshield adjustments.

YMMV, but buying a naked on wind logic doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not sure if a 2016 is the same as my 2020, but there's absolutely zero turbulence/buffeting when riding the bike. And I'm not a tall person at 5' 9-1/2". I've owned dozens of bikes, and with the exception of bikes with a barn-door windscreen, like my ex-GL1800 and RT, all others always created unwanted noise on my helmet (coming from below), that was uncomfortable even with 33dB earplugs. I also wear a Shoei GT-Air, and I have exactly the same amount of moderate noise sitting on the bike, than when standing on the pegs. It's not going to get any quieter (on a naked) than when standing on the pegs. If standing on the pegs is too noisy for somebody, then they need a large windscreen (+ maybe lowers). I love not having any wind protection, and that's what nakeds are for IMO (otherwise, get an RT). But they have their limitations, like speeds above 90 becoming tiresome, and feeling the speed more, but I welcome those 2 traits :). Super happy with my HP with zero wind protection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts