BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone!
My current employment, as luck has it, combines repair of many types of equipment. Most recently I have been training in the repair and service of our fleet of police bikes. Mainly the R1200RTP. My question is this. What has been the preferred choice of replacement hand grips? OEM are very expensive and with our 2015 and newer bikes, wearing out.
I have used a wrap around grip cover on one bike so far and am waiting on feedback from it's rider.

Thanks and have a great day!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have you checked with other municipalities that use the BMW for opinions? In my area, all the PD bikes are serviced at various local dealers...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked with other municipalities that use the BMW for opinions? In my area, all the PD bikes are serviced at various local dealers...
Thanks for the idea. No, I haven't checked as of yet. We have the largest fleet in our area with about 15 on the road at any given time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,982 Posts
I’ve overlaid mine with cricket bat grip rubber to prevent further wear. They’re not too thick and grip is brilliant (good enough for Donald Bradman, good enough for me).

Years ago I replaced the rubbers on my F800 with Ariete grips suited to BMW heated grips. It’s a meticulous task to carefully cut off the old rubber. There were lateral ribs on the inner tube that on the original grips were moulded in but were perceptible after fitting the replacements. In hindsight, I may have filed them down, being very careful not to damage the heating elements.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve overlaid mine with cricket bat grip rubber to prevent further wear. They’re not too thick and grip is brilliant (good enough for Donald Bradman, good enough for me).

Years ago I replaced the rubbers on my F800 with Ariete grips suited to BMW heated grips. It’s a meticulous task to carefully cut off the old rubber. There were lateral ribs on the inner tube that on the original grips were moulded in but were perceptible after fitting the replacements. In hindsight, I may have filed them down, being very careful not to damage the heating elements.
Thank you for the grip tape idea. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread and the answers. I have to say I'm very disappointed in the wear of the LC grips compared to my >80K mile R1100S grips.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,982 Posts
disappointed in the wear of the LC grips compared to my >80K mile R1100S
Think of it as like the difference between a touring tyre and a sports tyre 😄

Reactions: John Roscoe

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have a search online for genuine Grip Puppies. They’re a soft, squeezable grip that simply slip over your original rubber grips. I’ve been using them for many years now on all my R12’s with heated grips, love them and wouldn’t use anything else now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am using this brand and they work well with heated grips. They have a thin version that even with my smallish hands works great. I have used $2 a pair neoprene from China that works well also.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello and thanks for getting back about this. I'm not sure which product you are referring to though.
ooops sorry, I forgot to post the link. 'somomule' just posted the link also. https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com
This is the BMW grip cover #SMARTSKIN OBB-AB-SS
If you want the thinner version you request lites. Their website is a little bit funky.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts