BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R Metallic Red Apple
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like a more upright riding position. (I know that’s the GS but I prefer the naked look of the R.) Besides handle bar risers, has anyone rotated the handle bars to bring controls closer to rider. I’m concerned about 2 things: bar ends hitting the fuel tank; and also limited length of cables and hydraulic lines. Thoughts/advice?

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I think I've experimented with rotating the bars on almost every bike I've ever owned, where it was possible. It's cheaper to try that first before ordering risers, and easy to test for interference from tank, cables, etc. Maybe worth a try. Remember that the bar-ends will move in an arc, so changes in the distance to the seat will be small, and as you rotate them upwards, they will at some point move farther away despite being higher. I just looked at mine and, although I remember playing with them, they appear to be at the stock position now, so I'm guessing I couldn't make them any better for me (that was 5 or 6 years ago). Everyone's ergos are different. On my R9T Scrambler, I ended up getting OEM risers (BMW called them something else).

You only need to loosen the 4 bolts a bit. When re-tightening, torque the front ones first, then the rear ones. There should be a gap at the back and none at the front. Torque for mine (2016) is 19 Nm.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
I usually find there’s an optimum wrist-comfort angle of the handlebars that takes priority over height of the grips. For me, coincidentally, it happens to be the stock position on both modern Beemers I’ve owned.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I usually find there’s an optimum wrist-comfort angle of the handlebars that takes priority over height of the grips. For me, coincidentally, it happens to be the stock position on both modern Beemers I’ve owned.
Yes, and the pull-back angle as well. As a long-time enduro rider, I became used to riding with my elbows high and out to the sides. Took me a long time to get used to the narrow pulled-in bars on my old RT. You can always rotate the controls as well, independently of the bars, but BMW seems to use these annoying locator pins that you have to file off ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Many years ago, to overcome getting a stiff neck on long rides, I raised the bar ends slightly on my 1981 R100RS by rotating the handlebars. While this raised them only a small amount, it made all the difference, solving my neck issue.
I have found the factory seating and bar position on my R1200R ideal. It is the most comfortable ride I have ever had, and that is why I bought this bike.

Ken

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R Metallic Red Apple
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts