BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Speaking out of ignorance yet again,
I have seen the following bulbs after following a post by @mikeS about some other LED-bulbs, and while the ones he referred to were more complex/bigger (do not remember the details), the following look like truly plug-n-done with the exception one might get an error (for lower-than-expected current-draw I assume),
But the seller says they would provide an adapter for free;
Also the manufacturer claims "AUXITO h7 led high beam bulb uses a 1:1 halogen beam design" (see below)

Has anyone considered something like these ? or am I missing something obvious ?

p.s. if not mistaken they are not more powerful (in terms of Lumens output), however a much whiter/brighter bean is arguably worth it ?

Home appliance Output device Font Office supplies Audio equipment

AUXITO H7 LED Headlight Bulbs 6500K White, 8 CSP Chips Super Bright, 1:1 Mini Size, Non-polarity, No Adapter Required Easy Install Conversion Kit, Fanless H7ll Fog lights Halogen Replacement, 2 Pack

and from the Q&A:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

And there seem to be others/more of this plug-and-done (no adapter/etc) shape/design:

Font Technology Advertising Logo Brand

·
Registered
965 Posts
I see 2 issues. If there’s not enough draw (or no built in resistor), you can get CANbus errors. Likewise, if it easily plugs in for a headlamp application, there is the concern that the output won’t be good enough. Frankly, to go LED, I want more light than OEM provides.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I'm amazed they have dispensed with the separate box where the electronics usually go, and that just the body can radiate away enough heat to keep from frying the LED and other electronics. Yet, I'm hoping you're intrigued enough to get one to try and report back!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I gave up on the idea of full LED lighting and have grown to appreciate some benefits of continuing to use halogen bulbs. LEDs will probably never need to be changed and theoretically can provide more light, but if they fail in the middle of a trip it’s gonna be painful (and expensive) to replace. LED bulbs like these alleviate that problem since you could replace with halogen if needed but they are generally not effective because the headlight reflectors are designed for the way halogen bulbs emit light. I’d also worry about the effects of added heat on plastics.

Halogen bulbs are easy to find and replace and with DRL they last a lot longer because the bulbs are used much less. There’s no additional electronics to fail either and the bike remains as stock as possible, which means repairs are also easier. For the rare occasions I ride at night I’ve found the stock lights to be perfectly acceptable too, but I really prefer to avoid the dark, no matter how good the headlight is. Also remember to make sure you find the optimal headlight angle for you since that can make a huge difference in the quality of the road illumination. For me that was the final factor to stop thinking about LED headlights.

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
169 Posts
The overriding issue (in addition to potential CANBus errors, form factor and heat dispersion issues) is that the light source on an LED unit does not have the omnidirectional character of an incandescent filament or HID capsule, so the reflector surrounding the light source typically doesn't do an effective job of dispersing light output effectively: the beam pattern has hot spots and dim areas. The only ones that I've found to work well are Cyclops LED units that I have in an F800GSA, which are both brighter than the stock halogen bulb and quite effective at producing an even pattern of illumination.

The R1200R has the most anemic stock headlight I've encountered in decades. My solution has been to mount a pair of Ruby Moto auxiliary lights, which provide more conspicuity during the day as well as vastly improved light output and distribution at night.

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
169 Posts
They talk a good game - are you going to give them a try and then do a review for us? It would be terrific to find an LED retrofit kit that worked well for a reasonable price!

·
Registered
'16 R1200R, Thunder Grey Metallic.
57 Posts
Hello,

Speaking out of ignorance yet again,
I have seen the following bulbs after following a post by @mikeS about some other LED-bulbs, and while the ones he referred to were more complex/bigger (do not remember the details), the following look like truly plug-n-done with the exception one might get an error (for lower-than-expected current-draw I assume),
But the seller says they would provide an adapter for free;
Also the manufacturer claims "AUXITO h7 led high beam bulb uses a 1:1 halogen beam design" (see below)

Has anyone considered something like these ? or am I missing something obvious ?

p.s. if not mistaken they are not more powerful (in terms of Lumens output), however a much whiter/brighter bean is arguably worth it ?

Save you a bit of time. It can be done, and there is a way to bypass the canbus error. It's not horribly expensive (about 50 bucks). The light output is better, but I would not say it's a massive improvement. I've tried a bunch of stuff. here's the thread I hijacked when I started experimenting: LED headlight lamps installed

Hope that helps!

ps: AUXITO was one I tried. No discernible difference between theirs and lasfit. Also tried the auxito mini in case moving the diodes closer to the reflector helped: it didn't.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Mine is a 2012, but I went to superbrightleds.com and swapped out every lamp.

I needed a resistor for the brake light, but otherwise it was a direct swap with no canbus issues.

Much brighter, better headlight, very satisfied.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oof right right, almost forgot. If it's got the space with the round bucket, absolutely easier and I highly recommend either superbrightleds, or if Amazon, Katana brand. I've run them in all my previous bikes and my cars, and they've been great. Sealight also is a great one for a single bulb dual filament swap. Has a little bar to help form a proper beam pattern.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Save you a bit of time. It can be done, and there is a way to bypass the canbus error. It's not horribly expensive (about 50 bucks). The light output is better, but I would not say it's a massive improvement. I've tried a bunch of stuff. here's the thread I hijacked when I started experimenting: LED headlight lamps installed

Hope that helps!

ps: AUXITO was one I tried. No discernible difference between theirs and lasfit. Also tried the auxito mini in case moving the diodes closer to the reflector helped: it didn't.
@Fr000m
Thank you very much for the information and the pointer/direction to the thread (I have searched before posting to avoid creating a dup thread however apparently overlooked it)

·
Registered
57 Posts
No problem! I kind of took that one over, which is why it might be harder to find. I am kind of a headlight-o-phile. I can't stand poor light output and the aesthetic design of this light + the can'tbus means it's a good challenge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts