BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2011 R1200RT. I have both factory panniers and a BMW top box. I find it difficult to see directly behind me because the stock mirrors are so low. It’s even worse when I have my camping gear strapped on to the pillion seat. I am considering adding higher mirrors but the stock RT handlebar doesn’t leave much room for off-the-shelf brackets. Has anybody tried this or seen it and might be able to point me towards some information that would help?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have added mirrors on my previously owned 2005 RT at the time, as I did not like the view of the original mirror at all. I added handle bar mirrors, and adjusted the turn signal mirrors mounted on the fairing to be used as "blind spot" mirrors and that worked very well for.

Hope this helps.
Automotive parking light Tire Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,568 Posts
Art Vintage clothing Visual arts Illustration Stock photography

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
A long shot - would something like these 2" 'blind spot' auxiliary mirrors help? They do widen appreciably the view behind. About $6 to $8 a pair in most auto accessories shops.

Automotive lighting Hood Lcd projector Headlamp Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
456 Posts
A long shot - would something like these 2" 'blind spot' auxiliary mirrors help? They do widen appreciably the view behind. About $6 to $8 a pair in most auto accessories shops.

View attachment 115850
I use these on my car, and they are good for daytime driving. At night, it is impossible to judge the distance to light behind you or what it is exactly you are seeing due to reflection being distorted too much. A significantly better functional mirror (and I used on my previous bike), is a flatter mirror. I used the top one on my previous bike with very good results, but it looked fugly because of the support stem, and I never installed on the current bike.

https://www.amazon.com/Amfor-Frameless-Adjustable-Universal-Rectangle/dp/B0777JTJGJ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=blind+spot+car+mirror&qid=1655843070&sprefix=blind+spo,aps,104&sr=8-6&th=1

Automotive side-view mirror Mirror Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
If you go faster than ‘your competitors’ you don’t need to see what’s behind you. 🤪

• Love
Reactions: rxc and dbyker

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,568 Posts

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
692 Posts
The mirrors in post #2 are from a 2002 to 2004 K1200RS.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
327 Posts
I swapped out the little clamps that hold the clutch and brake levers in place for the similar parts ujj from a GS / GSA and use GS / GSA mirrors.

BMW calls the parts "pipe clamps".

There was a thread on this somewhere and I posted pictures - am away from home for a bit otherwise I'd send pics (although thinking about it that might have been on an RT forum).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2011 R1200RT. I have both factory panniers and a BMW top box. I find it difficult to see directly behind me because the stock mirrors are so low. It’s even worse when I have my camping gear strapped on to the pillion seat. I am considering adding higher mirrors but the stock RT handlebar doesn’t leave much room for off-the-shelf brackets. Has anybody tried this or seen it and might be able to point me towards some information that would help?
Bruce, I have a 2008 model year. Surplus GS mirrors worked for me (round, black backside). Stalks fit through holes on the inner ends of the grips, not outside ends. Don't know if they would match with your 2011, though.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts