BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without the regular Phillip Island MotoGP this year due to COVID -19 I’d missed the usual run through the high country of the Eastern Seaboard. But good riding friend Errol came to the rescue with a proposed ride up north of Sydney as far as Grafton.

there were numerous takers but as time we t by they dropped out for various reasons - work commitments, bike issues, and finally a COVID lockdown of South Australia (subsequently lifted as one of the infected people had lied ...).

There ended up three core riders - an easily managed group, you might think. Except that Murray (Mud) messaged to say he’d be late as he’d forgottem his wallet, and also he hit the tail of one of the peacocks that inhabit his suburb - in flight. I arrived 20 minutes prior to the nominated departure time - except I’d overlooked the plan change and was waiting in the wrong place. We eventually coordinated and agreed an RV point en route, 25 minutes later than oir intended departure.

We managed to keep in reasonable formation after that, stopping for coffee at Crookwell befor continuing on to Bathurst for lunch. The rolling countryside was still green from spring rains aNd the roads generally wide bends with the occasional twisty bits, especially on the descent to and ascent from creek lines.

We dispensed with the usual lap of the Mount Panorama racing circuit, a public road but for a couple car race meetings a year and wound our way through the historic streets to our designated lunch cafe, where we picked up Greg, another riding companion, on a Tracer 900.

My Kipfler salad was fresh and filling, and after refuelling we continued northward to historic Hill End township for a break and cool drink at the pub. Then on to more winding roads towards our overnight stop at Mudgee. Travelling away from major highways, we had seen no law enforcement along the way until approaching Mudgee, where Errol received a flash of headlights and a friendly wave from a policeman in a BMW 5 Series. Hard to pick from a distance as a police car. Rather than stop to chat, as they are prone to do, the policeman continued on his way - we suspect to the same destination as the emergency ambulance we’d passed some minutes ago with flashing lights ablaze. Afterwards,we speculated as to whether one of the three other bikes at the pub had come to grief.

We’re staying principally at cheap pubs along the way, and the Mudgee Courthouse Pub fits that mould pretty well. The beer was good and the menu pretty ‘pubby’ but to me the standout item was the Thai beef salad, and I wasn’t disappointed.

3EFC86BA-B1E6-4143-8D63-C8B91DF7CC3E.jpeg

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that a 900 or 1130 Benelli?
900, r0ckrat - 2003 model. Errol’s recognised as a world expert, having solved the teething problems that the factory didn’t/couldn’t.

Just prior to the trip he swapped out the engine with one for a stolen bike he bought a year ago - stolen about 10 years ago and finally recovered.

Unfortunately it seems the radiator isn’t up to full capacity as the rear fans are running all the time, so he’s looking at heading back to Canberra to resolve it as we’re up for even hotter temperatures. We’ll be down to two riders, although pick up others for part.

Reactions: mikeS and r0ckrat

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I expect @mikeS will give me curry (figuratively) for not posting food pictures, so here’s one of brekky - coconut yoghurt granola at Cafe 89, Mudgee. Piccolos on William in Bathurst is also highly recommended.

My Thai beef salad at the pub here last night was great - unlike the overcooked pub food the others had.

·
2,750 Posts
I will overlook your indiscretion this time @Panzermann but only because of healthy breakfast choice - yogurt, granola & fruit. Standards and accountability, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Suitably fortified by my paleo granola we headed north out of Mudgee, where the soils are more reactive and hence roads often in disrepair or many times repaired. Some say the roads up that way are built by contiguously joined potholes.

The country past Musswelbrook isn’t very pretty but is doubly spoiled by huge open cut coal mines. Relics of the Industrial Age but still operating, and Adani wants to open more in Australia. Bring on the renewables.

As the temperature rose to the mid thirties we arrived at the quaint village of Nundle after a pit stop at the Fire Mountain rest stop. I don’t normally drink when riding but thought I’d reward myself with a light beer at the Nundle pub - it went down really well with my salt and pepper squid.

Heading out, we were threatened by towering cumulo nimbus forming to the east, which finally dumped a reasonably heavy shower on us as we approached Walcha on the Thunderbolts Way. I didn’t want to be ‘That Guy’ who defers getting his wet weather gear on until he is well soaked so I pulled over. Mud said he wasn’t going to bother - he’s an aviator so I trusted his judgement. He was right - we resumed and kept the speed up, and the majority was deflected anyway.

But that was not before immensely enjoying the Port Stevens Pass (nowhere near Port Stevens) - pretty tight but a steep climb on which to just surf the Roadster’s torque.

At Walcha, we picked up Flipper, so named due to certain sidecar antics at a bike rally many years ago, then headed down the famed Oxley Highway. Unfortunately these days it has an 80 km/h limit so I was very circumspect coming out of corners - no-one told me until later that because the road is so winding, it can’t be effectively policed, so my moderation was unwarranted. They don’t use sneaky camouflaged speed cameras or anything like that. We head back up there and back again (total four runs) so plenty of fun is still in store.

We arrived at Kel and Linda’s ‘country estate’ in the late afternoon, greeted by Kel who was changing a tyre on a postie bike wheel. Of course once we all had a beer in hand, we chipped in to help. Did you know it takes four fully grown men to change a postie bike tyre?

A bbq dinner with maybe one too many reds (the first one?) followed, with many stories and laughs.

(I’ll add photos when I have better connectivity)
2F8D5E5D-02DB-47CE-9A1F-78268184A5B4.jpeg

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the Oxley certainly lived up to its reputation when traversed in the appropriate manner - mainly fourth gear, surfing the front of the torque curve. I find that with the SC Project can fitted, the engine breathes more freely up to 4000 rpm (maybe better above too, but it’s harder to discern). So much so that when riding under 100 km/h, fuel consumption is up to 10% better as I can be in a higher gear. On the Oxley, the bike will haul itself out of corners in 3rd or 4th gear comfortably from 2500 rpm, and I don’ think I got over 4000 rpm. A very relaxed way to travel briskly. Sometimes I think it’s cheating to ride a Roadster, it’s so confidence inspiring and relaxed in the way it eats corners with no drama.

I ended up with plenty of leeway to snag the Triumph-only parking spot at Walcha where we had coffee and shared citrus tart and a poppy seed muffin. Kel and Linda have only very recently moved into their house, with much of their stuff in interim storage, so are unable to yet locate their riding gear. They consequently tagged along in their turbo Astra rather than ride, and Linda is no slouch behind the wheel, just as Kel normally is on his Tiger 955.

We tootled off then to Dorrigo via Armadale and the Waterfall Way, stopping at what used to be a motorcycle cafe/museum in Dorrigo for lunch. The sector from there down to Bellingen was fantastic - a bit like the run down to Kangaroo Valley that @mikeS has posted about but more flowing and a great surface. I managed to skip past the bit of traffic I came across without being held up significantly. Flipper’s 1050 Speed Triple looks really sweet and goes like the clappers should it be given free reign but the tank is small, so we again stopped for fuel. On easy running and at legal speeds the Panzer consistently shows a sum of distances travelled and to empty of over 400 km, sometimes up to 440, with consumption of better than 4.7 litres per 100 km, such is the benefit of the SC Project can.

We then ran straight through to Grafton. Well kind of. We did an up and back to Lowanna, which is a steep, winding climb, just for fun. Unfortunately the surface is quite rough in places so I expect a bit of rubber was consumed as the back stepped out a bit under acceleration out of corners, the rear tyre scrabbling somewhat for grip. Nothing alarming, but it would be nicer with a smooth surface, and more confidence inspiring on the way down. Mud reckons on the way up he lost three fillings, passed a kidney stone and cracked the rear sub-frame. I followed the others down the hill, having pulled over to take a photo.

There’s not much open in Grafton at the moment, even the old Crown Hotel we’re staying in, so after cleaning up we wandered to the Returned Services Club for a drink and a feed. All enjoyed their dinner and the service was very friendly and efficient, to the extent that Murray asked the main desk to send the duty manager to our table. The young lady arrived expecting the worst, by the look on her face, but was relieved, very appreciative and somewhat emotional when Murray lavished effusive but genuine praise on all the staff we had interacted with. Apparently they were all quite new at their jobs, so she was very encouraged.

We took the RSL shuttle bus back to the pub and had a cup of tea on the verandah before turning in.

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should add that there was a bit of excitement at the Dorrigo turnoff on the Waterfall Way yesterday. An SUV pulled out in front of an approaching two-up GS-LC. I eased off my brakes to create some space adjacent to and behind me, overshooting the turn a bit as the GS’s tyres howled in protest at the emergency braking. There were no loud noises and all vehicles continued on their way, the SUV driver likely oblivious to the near mayhem caused.

Reactions: mikeS

·
2,750 Posts
Very nice trip PZ - I see you parked at my private parking space outside of the Royal Cafe - Triumph parking only when mikeS is not in town.

Port Stephen Pass I just can't place where that is?

·
2,750 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention I've come across a group HWP bikes travelling long the Oxley H’Way around Ginger's twisties although they seemed more interests twisties that all the other riders.

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With Mud continuing with Andy to Queensland, it was a solo run for me back to Wauchope, via Ebor and Armidale. Linda and Kel needed to be back home for grandparent duties so took the highway.

The winding section of the Waterfall Way was particularly entertaining, albeit with a choppy surface now and then. Being solo, it was easier for me to stop for a photo op the Waterfall Way, it wasn’t hard to find an appropriate vantage point.

Over beers we had postulated whether it was feasible to average 80 km/h in the 80 section of the Oxley. Of course I had to test the hypothesis - nailed it. I won’t say I didn’t break into a sweat doing it (the temperature was 35 deg C after all) but I stayed within my comfort zone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Port Stephen Pass I just can't place where that is?
It’s mid way between Dungowan and the Thunderbolts Way along Nowendoc Rd. A nice alternative to New England Hwy through Tamworth.

M8F2+JX Ogunbil, New South Wales

·
2,750 Posts
It’s mid way between Dungowan and the Thunderbolts Way along Nowendoc Rd. A nice alternative to New England Hwy through Tamworth.

M8F2+JX Ogunbil, New South Wales

Ha, yes, I've been up and down that there a few time on my Oxley / Tamworth trips. Thanks for the certification.

·
2,750 Posts
Ha, yes, I've been up and down that there a few time on my Oxley / Tamworth trips. Thanks for the certification.

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Monday afternoon Richard and his KTM joined us from Newcastle to then accompany me as far as Singleton the next day.

Tuesday was a late getaway after helping Kel with some handyman jobs about the place and a long coffee afterwards. So rather than back up the Oxley then down Thunderbolts Way, Richard and I droned down the motorway to Taree then towards Gloucester along Bucketts Way. We eventually got to the interesting roads, some more interesting than others due to the patched surface, and even more so if the patchwork was mid corner. I frequently switched between Dynamic and Road ESA as the choppy surface demanded.

We stopped at the bakery in Gloucester for lunch where I enjoyed a good old fashioned egg and salad roll. Sorry @mikeS - no photo so you’ll just have to imagine.

Continuing on, Richard peeled off at Singleton while I transited through coal and wine country to Denman, where Rod’s Multistrada was parked outside the pub.

We were in luck, it was Parmy Night and they had Mexican Parmy - who knew Mexican Parmy had Bolognese sauce on it. Anyway, it was my last pub-food fling, and I promised myself I’d eat more wholesome food once I got home. A cup of tea on the balcony and stories of yore (some of them true) rounded out the evening.

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Home again now with the Panzer filthy and an additional 2770 km on the clock.

The temperature was moderate for the first time since day one so we had a very pleasant run from Denman down the Bylong Valley Way, stopping for coffee at Rylestone, then down through Bathurst to Crookwell for lunch - a tasty corned beef and salad roll, with photo below for the benefit of @mikeS (noting it’s half eaten ...).

We then continued through to Canberra without a break, enjoying the rolling hills and accompanying open, winding black ribbon.

Time now to get out the pressure washer.

·
2,750 Posts
Home again now with the Panzer filthy and an additional 2770 km on the clock.

The temperature was moderate for the first time since day one so we had a very pleaseant run from Denman down the Bylong Valley Way, stopping for coffee at Rylestone, then down through Bathurst to Crookwell for lunch - a tasty corned beef and salad roll, with photo below for the benefit of @mikeS (noting it’s half eaten ...).

We then continued through to Canberra without a break, enjoying the rolling hills and accompanying open, winding black ribbon.

Time now to get out the pressure washer.

View attachment 109603

View attachment 109604
Panzer - I feel all my effort, encouragement and persistence is starting to pay off. Ride report, images - twisties, bikes, mates, parma, beer, wine and the "jewel-in-the crown - salad sambo (albeit with corn beef). You've got all the bases covered, thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts