BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone suggested I see a therapist I wouldn't argue, because anyone that would spend in the neighborhood of $18k for a motorcycle that doesn't come stock with complete LED lighting should not be trusted to even have a motorcycle endorsement. I am speaking for myself. I don't know how to process the emotional bile that erupts when I contemplate this flaw in my consumer spending. And like a chicken in the yard pecking at insects we go about looking for SOLUTIONS. Why thanks BMW, very classy premium German engineering! OK, well, henceforth I will quietly wait to see if there is a solution other than spending $300-$1k for auxiliary lights so I can safely ride this motorcycle at night. Thank you and good night. We'll discuss clean air and the myth of a touring windshield another time.

· Registered
339 Posts
There is hope

· Registered
315 Posts
A rock thrown by a Tuono broke my crap $1100 BMW headlight. I replaced it with a Chinese $380 LED unit bought on ebay that puts out much more and much better light. It's the best single headlight I've ever seen. If I rode out in the boonies at night I'd add more lights but for now it's good enough where the OEM light was definitely not.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A rock thrown by a Tuono broke my crap $1100 BMW headlight. I replaced it with a Chinese $380 LED unit bought on ebay that puts out much more and much better light. It's the best single headlight I've ever seen. If I rode out in the boonies at night I'd add more lights but for now it's good enough where the OEM light was definitely not.
First thing I bought was a Powerbronze acrylic headlight cover for $40 and SW Motech crashbars. What year is your R? IF I keep mine I will buy a Denali LED light kit.

· Registered
217 Posts
Besides the safety aspect, once you try auxilliary LED lights at night it is hard to ignore how amazingly better they are.
I have a replacement LED headlight on my Indian Roadmaster and it was way better than the stock headlight.
Then, after having the Clearwater Ericas on my GS, I put them on the Roadmaster and it is like turning night into day!
I actual giggle very time I flip the high beams on, it is so much better.
Today when riding with the guys, a car was coming out fast from a driveway. I flipped the high beams on and the car hit the brakes hard and stopped. I feel it is my responsibility to stay safe but these auxiliary lights do help. My .02

· Registered
2 Posts
Todhollander, I couldn't agree more! I have the Erica lights on my R1250R and love them. The other day I had a car that I KNEW was going to blow a stop sign and turn directly in front of me, but I flipped my lights to full bright and they came to a jerky stop. These lights are great at night and during the day.

To the OP, I agree the stock headlight is garbage. I was hoping we would have an easy swap to the full LED F900R headlight but no such luck.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know what I have never read in a motorcycle review? How well the lighting works. I have read their moronic discussion about the shape and esthetic styling of a headlight assembly, but not a word how effective the light is.
I'm installing Denali lights.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I ride mostly around Tucson with occasional multi day rides to the higher elevation in northern AZ.. It is/was a low light city for the observatories. I think that designation has been defeated though. Any journey just a few miles outside the city center and you are in the open desert. I had planned on touring but various events have put that on hold too. It has been a lively last few months.
I have been jealous of the Harley riders around here only because they have mounted some awesome aftermarket lighting. As you say Todd, I think I am going to be very pleased. My bike looks capable just sitting with the D4 2.0 lights installed, but not plugged in just yet.
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle

· Registered
2022 BMW R1250R
10 Posts
I ride mostly around Tucson with occasional multi day rides to the higher elevation in northern AZ.. It is/was a low light city for the observatories. I think that designation has been defeated though. Any journey just a few miles outside the city center and you are in the open desert. I had planned on touring but various events have put that on hold too. It has been a lively last few months.
I have been jealous of the Harley riders around here only because they have mounted some awesome aftermarket lighting. As you say Todd, I think I am going to be very pleased. My bike looks capable just sitting with the D4 2.0 lights installed, but not plugged in just yet. View attachment 107957
Is that a hear light projector on your bike? I am interested in what or how you did it?

Thanks,
Bill in Tucson

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is that a hear light projector on your bike? I am interested in what or how you did it?

Thanks,
Bill in Tucson
You will have to search where to buy it. They were inexpensive and available on ebay once upon a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts