BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear members,

I drive a 2015 R1200R LC for 5 years now.
And I love it!

I bought 2 months ago a new GSA 1250 HP but still the R is my favorite bike.

I had an accident last year in the mountains near Monaco. Since than I have restored nearly every broken part except the headlight.
I really would like to have a round headlight but can not find any model fitting.

Do you have any suggestions?

A new headlight is very expensive and used parts are barely available and cost nearly the same than a new one... :-(

Any advice would be wonderful...

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ... but that is exactly what VTR Customs told me: there are always problems with the Can-Bus which leads to repeated error messages... obviously in this thread the guys are experts in electrics ... I am not... so I guess I wont be able to do this ...

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,507 Posts
The stock headlight comprises two H7 55W bulbs and a DRL. Any headlight with high and low beam filaments that each approximate this wattage will be compatible. The only issue then is the DRL. You either need a replacement DRL that approximates the stock DRL's wattage, or simply replace the DRL with a resistor that draws the equivalent current. The installation of @TheDivaDanielle as per the link is instructive in this respect. Believe it or not, it isn't rocket science, and the circuits are all protected, so you can't kill anything.

Reactions: r0ckrat and dbyker

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok ... Ill give it a thought ...

So which link do you mean?
This one? this thread
This other link is empty... @TheDivaDanielle

I just wonder why VTR customs tell me, that it is always tricky and that they don't have a good solution for an alternative headlight. As far as I understand those guys are absolute experts and top in customizing BMW bikes...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm just a girl in her garage with no fancy degrees and a willingness to think outside the box.

You need a 39ohm 10w resistor on the DRL wire to ground.

That's literally it.

You can type 39ohm 10w resistor in Amazon and find them for sale.

You then need an H4 pigtail from somewhere like motodemic.

Ground goes to ground.

Low beam wire to low beam on the pigtail, high to high.

It's dead easy, you just can't be defeatist. You just have to get out there and figure out what wire is which

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just a girl in her garage with no fancy degrees and a willingness to think outside the box.

That's literally it.

Ground goes to ground.

It's dead easy, you just can't be defeatist. You just have to get out there and figure out what wire is which

Thanks Danielle,
it is not a question of soldering a few wires one to another... I can do that... I did similar work for the light of the number plate changing from regular to LED...
With my buddies from our bike crew we discussed this issue already and from the circuit diagram we came to the conclusion that a regular lamplight wouldn't work...

The problem with the headlight is not the DLR but the headlight pro function. Did you have the headlight pro model?

VTR Customs is not unknown for customizing BMW motorcycles. You can see their work here:

The Goodwood 12 concept of the R1200R is made by them:

They used a model without headlight pro on purpose as far as I understood.
So even if I could solve this problem there is another:
In Switzerland you can not just use any kind of lamp ... you have to prove that the part you use has an assessment/certification for Switzerland for your bike. So even an certification for Europe wouldn't be enough... :-(
That's why you don't make this yourself but let people like VTR Customs make it who give you the certificate too.
In Germany things were easier... :-(

I would like to use this model for the R1200R:

Still the biggest problem despite being incompatible with headlight pro is the certificate... in Germany you could ask the authorities for a certificate presenting the bike and running an audit. In Switzerland things are far more complicated and it is simpler to let customizers like VTR do it... so that's why this is not so easy ...

·
6,507 Posts
I can’t solve your certification issue, but the Pro part of the Headlight Pro resides in the control logic rather than the headshell. The headshell has no ‘smarts’ - just two H7 bulbs for high and low beam respectively and an LED array for the DRL. So I can’t see how any headlight that draws equivalent power for each of those loads would not be compatible electronically/electrically.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats exactly the point... you get the errors not from the head shell but from the control logic as far as I understood the mechanic from VTR Customs.
The regular model has another head than the headlight pro... I mean it is physically another part...
The regular light has the number
headlight pro has

There is a spare part from china which e.g. only fits to the normal models and not with the headlight pro models (you can easily find it in ebay).

With the regular model it is possible to change the light I was told. If you have the headlight pro model than you persistently get error messages in your display... that's at least what I was told... still I maybe just try out the JVB Headlight which nicely fits to the USD Fork which is the same in the R9t classic as in the S1R and R12R as well... I think the distance is even the same... The model Nr. 4 is LED too and has DRL.

If it is just an error message I wouldn't care...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can’t solve your certification issue, but the Pro part of the Headlight Pro resides in the control logic rather than the headshell. The headshell has no ‘smarts’ - just two H7 bulbs for high and low beam respectively and an LED array for the DRL. So I can’t see how any headlight that draws equivalent power for each of those loads would not be compatible electronically/electrically.
Just thinking out loud here, but maybe there is a LED-driver built in to the PRO headlight and that it has a capacitor on the input from the control logic that the "bulb check" detects. In this case you would have to have both a resistor and a capacitor of the correct size to avoid error messages when running a light without the LED array. It might be possible to measure the capacitance between the positive and negative terminals to the LED array.

·
6,507 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, but maybe there is a LED-driver built in to the PRO headlight and that it has a capacitor on the input from the control logic that the "bulb check" detects. In this case you would have to have both a resistor and a capacitor of the correct size to avoid error messages when running a light without the LED array. It might be possible to measure the capacitance between the positive and negative terminals to the LED array.
Potentially - or, it could be just the difference in current draw. The non-Pro bulb is 5W - I don't know what the LED DRL draws. The connectors are a bit fiddly, so it isn't easy to check. I tapped an additional 6W off the DRL circuit and didn't get any errors - more than 100% over the 5W bulb of the non-Pro headlight, so I expect the DRL draws substantially more than 5W.

·
6,507 Posts
By the way, @dr.eal - where did you source the circuit diagrams? The BMW soft copy manual has none (that I can find) and the Haynes manual has representative diagrams - from the GS, which differ in a lot of details, including headlight.

·
Registered
17 Posts

That's literally it.

Ground goes to ground.

Hi, one question again: Which one did you identify as the DRL wire? On my 12R with HL-Pro (european version) there a two wires feeding the LED unit: red/blue and violet. Since inside the original housing both wires to DRL and position light are white I didn't manage to sort out, which is which.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's been months, in not taking apart my bike to find that out. It honestly takes 5 minutes to find out when an test light

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's been months, in not taking apart my bike to find that out. It honestly takes 5 minutes to find out when an test light

Please don't take apart your bike. ; - ) Thought you might have a note somewhere. I'll test the wires alltough I got careful after producing an Headlight error message and having a non working LED-unit after testing a LED-Headlight on the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
By the way, @dr.eal - where did you source the circuit diagrams? The BMW soft copy manual has none (that I can find) and the Haynes manual has representative diagrams - from the GS, which differ in a lot of details, including headlight.
Maybe I can help. I was looking for a wiring diagram for the 1200R LC too, but didn't find anything either in the Haynes book nor the service DVD I bought on ebay. So I followed the logical and thus very helpful advice from @TheDivaDanielle (thanks) and checked the connections at my bike / Headlight Pro connector directly. This is what I found out: brown is ground, yellow is low beam, white is high beam, purple is DRL, red/blue is position light
The only thing which irritates me (as an amateur when it comes to electricity) is that both the connectors with the yellow and the white cable are connected to the high AND low beam.

20200423_123948.jpg

20200423_124017.jpg

1 - 20 of 52 Posts