BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I swear I keep repeating myself, but a 39ohm resistor has been doing the job for me everywhere for along time now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,507 Posts
... a 39ohm resistor has been doing the job for me everywhere for along time now.
I always assumed you were talking about the DRL rather than the low and high beams. 6-8Ὼ is a pretty normal load to compensate for 55W → LED conversions – I'd be surprised if 39Ὼ did it, but then I've been surprised more than once ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ah, but the elves of the Black Forest are consulted, and we all know elves belong to a wizard.

On your resistor question, assuming an H7 bulb runs at 55W at normal operating voltage (14.2V rather than the nominal 12V) then it draws 3.9A. Subtracting the spec current draw of the LED high and low beams gives a residual 2.6 and 2.1A respectively. At 14.2V, this requires a 5.5 and 6.75 Ohm resistor respectively for high and low beam in order to atch the stock bulb. I'd suggest 6 Ohm would be close enough for both beams.

The power each resistor will dissipate at 6 Ohms is 34W, so a 50W resistor rating would be safe.
Thanks a lot. When I come back from my trip through the alps in July I'll go for it. I've not just decided between the full LED version which would allow me to use all functionalities or an H4 solution with the R NineT headlight which I like a lot because of the littel BMW sign covering the bulb. The latter might be a little less wiring and is already tested by @TheDivaDanielle , so when I find a nice bucket for the R NineT reflector I'll try this first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I always assumed you were talking about the DRL rather than the low and high beams. 6-8Ὼ is a pretty normal load to compensate for 55W → LED conversions – I'd be surprised if 39Ὼ did it, but then I've been surprised more than once ...
You talk about different things: What she did was replacing the Headlight Pro with an H4 headlight. H4 instead of the two H7/55W bulbs makes no trouble, but the missing LED-unit produces an error if not replaced by an 39Ohm / 10W resistor which has nothing to do with the H7 high and low beams.
What I asked is for another challenge: to replace the Headlight Pro with a full LED unit with DRL. In this case the error comes not from the replacement of one LED DRL with another but from the difference in power consumption between the H7/55W bulbs of the original HL and the LED high and low beam ( in my case 16W and 22W). Here you proposed - and probably rightly - two 6Ohm50W resistors.
Please tell me if I'm totally wrong before I go unplug my bike the next time , - )

·
6,507 Posts
Everything you say sounds correct, @JoK.

BTW, I managed to observe the two DRL intensities. The problem was the bike needed to be in normal daylight rather than in the garage and/or with the engine running.

I'm not planning to replace any lights - I was just curious. And I'm still puzzled why the DRL didn't light up with battery voltage applied to the input terminals, but I'll leave it alone now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Non US bikes have a DRL circuit intact and US bikes still got the same headlight without the functionality. Headlight on - reduced DRL, headlight off - full DRL.

I swapped my switchgear because I had a sticky button, and got a euro spec one, I could control my DRL brightness with a button push, but since I have a US bike I can't turn it off.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I would love to have a full intensity DRL on my US spec bike, even if the low beam stays on.
Was the Euro spec switch gear just plug and play?
Part number by any chance, or what place to find one?
Thanks..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, finally I attached a R9T headlight in a classic black bucket which (beside the brackets which will be replaced) I really like a lot. All lights a working but unfortunately I got an annoying error message. For the missing DLR I followed TheDivaDanielle's advice and attached a 39Ohm/10W resistor but obviously the parking light (5W) draws a significant different load than the LEDs and produces this error. I asked BMW if it is possible to downgrade my bike to normal (non PRO) headlight without DRL because that would solve all problems, but they say it' not possible and have no idea what else to do.
I still got no idea how the LED unit of my former headlight works, so I'm a little lost. Any new ideas in this respect?

20210711_162410_resized_2.jpg

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
45 Posts

Hi JoK
Not sure if the link to my thread above functions, but if it does perhaps my solution also works for you?
Nice headlight you have!👍

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hi JoK
Not sure if the link to my thread above functions, but if it does perhaps my solution also works for you?
Nice headlight you have!👍
Hi Erwin,
thanks for the link to your post and project. It doesn't solve my dashboard error problem (cause I would like to keep the old R9T headlight) but helped me with the brackets: I just ordered the 50mm versions of the footrest conversions pieces you took for your HL and think it will look much better. Great idea of yours!!!

Fun Fact: BMW billed me 25€ for the information that they can't downgrade the headlight status from HL Pro to normal ; - ((

Still open for any suggestions regarding the electronic issue ...

·
6,507 Posts
BMW billed me 25€ for the information that they can't downgrade the headlight status from HL Pro to normal
Highway robbery

·
Registered
521 Posts
All lights a working but unfortunately I got an annoying error message. For the missing DLR I followed TheDivaDanielle's advice and attached a 39Ohm/10W resistor but obviously the parking light (5W) draws a significant different load than the LEDs and produces this error.
Another resistor to apply the appropriate 5w load for the parking light?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts