BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I'm relatively new to biking and a pretty much virgin to buying and applying mods.
I've a '18 LC and am starting to make some minor changes. One of them I'm struggling with is the headlight. I find the low beam extremely weak, especially when compared to other motorcycles. The high beam isn't anything to brag about, but one thing at a time.

I've read some of the older threads where people write about potential part substitutes, however, I'd like to find out if anyone has recently changed the lamps/bulbs for something stronger? Maybe LEDs? If so, which parts did you exactly get? How much of an improvement did you notice?
Also, how difficult was the alteration process? I have limited amount of tools and even less making electric modifications on vehicles :frown2:

I appreciate any advise and help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome. Good choice on the bike and ride safe. This forum is a wealth of info.

What you will run into with your BMW, (and pretty much every modern vehicle) is there is a silly thing called CanBus that monitors and controls EVERY function on the bike. So if you put a different wattage headlight bulb, like a LED, you will get error messages on your dash. Most of us get a product that works with the CanBus system, like HexEZ Can or so, and that allows you to add auxiliary light that won't interfere with the BMW system. I used this method to add Super Bright LED auxiliary lights to help out at night.

Good luck. Happy searching.

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
I went through the effort of trying to fit an LED bulb to high beam. Even then, I had to mould a recess into the headshell back plate to accommodate the bulb’s cooling fins; low beam has even less room. I wasn’t happy with the result (light temp and spread) so went back to stock.

I run +50 bulbs (+100 can be a bit fragile) and that improves things over stock. Also, try adjusting the shell upwards a bit (while keeping the low beam cutoff from dazzling oncoming traffic). My experience is that the aim as factory/dealer delivered is too low. I found this combo to be quite acceptable, if not brilliant (pun intended).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, folks.
Seems like I'll have to keep what I have at the moment as I'm nowhere near enough as bright or tech-savvy to make those changes on my bike. I guess it's one of the major drawbacks of having toys with lots of fancy gadgets, you're just not able to work on them or even replaced the smallest part...as a pulp.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
So, on a night ride when on poorly lit streets, the stock light is useless. I have given up on LED bulbs due to housing issues and I know there’s a vendor that does a complete replacement but it’s still not at a price point I like.

One mistake I think I made is that in one of my aux lights, I used a fog lamp and the other as spot lamp. This combination with halogen bulb and it’s beam pattern is jus a mixture of craziness.

Panzerman, when you say +50, does that signify 50% brighter? I found a +30 bulb but that’s it. Could you please share a link or brand etc? There are a multitude of options and Amazon tells me that the H7 is not compatible with my 2016 R1200R LC although these are 55W bulbs.

I also saw your note on lifting the headlight a bit. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Panzerman, when you say +50, does that signify 50% brighter? I found a +30 bulb but that’s it. Could you please share a link or brand etc?
+50 or Plus 50, for example is a claimed 50% increase in brightness. Here’s an example.

H7 fits both high and low beams on your LC - believe your riders manual rather than Amazon. 😉

Reactions: home4sale2
1 - 7 of 7 Posts