BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I'm relatively new to biking and a pretty much virgin to buying and applying mods.
I've a '18 LC and am starting to make some minor changes. One of them I'm struggling with is the headlight. I find the low beam extremely weak, especially when compared to other motorcycles. The high beam isn't anything to brag about, but one thing at a time.

I've read some of the older threads where people write about potential part substitutes, however, I'd like to find out if anyone has recently changed the lamps/bulbs for something stronger? Maybe LEDs? If so, which parts did you exactly get? How much of an improvement did you notice?
Also, how difficult was the alteration process? I have limited amount of tools and even less making electric modifications on vehicles :frown2:

I appreciate any advise and help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome. Good choice on the bike and ride safe. This forum is a wealth of info.

What you will run into with your BMW, (and pretty much every modern vehicle) is there is a silly thing called CanBus that monitors and controls EVERY function on the bike. So if you put a different wattage headlight bulb, like a LED, you will get error messages on your dash. Most of us get a product that works with the CanBus system, like HexEZ Can or so, and that allows you to add auxiliary light that won't interfere with the BMW system. I used this method to add Super Bright LED auxiliary lights to help out at night.

Good luck. Happy searching.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,665 Posts
I went through the effort of trying to fit an LED bulb to high beam. Even then, I had to mould a recess into the headshell back plate to accommodate the bulb’s cooling fins; low beam has even less room. I wasn’t happy with the result (light temp and spread) so went back to stock.

I run +50 bulbs (+100 can be a bit fragile) and that improves things over stock. Also, try adjusting the shell upwards a bit (while keeping the low beam cutoff from dazzling oncoming traffic). My experience is that the aim as factory/dealer delivered is too low. I found this combo to be quite acceptable, if not brilliant (pun intended).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, folks.
Seems like I'll have to keep what I have at the moment as I'm nowhere near enough as bright or tech-savvy to make those changes on my bike. I guess it's one of the major drawbacks of having toys with lots of fancy gadgets, you're just not able to work on them or even replaced the smallest part...as a pulp.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
So, on a night ride when on poorly lit streets, the stock light is useless. I have given up on LED bulbs due to housing issues and I know there’s a vendor that does a complete replacement but it’s still not at a price point I like.

One mistake I think I made is that in one of my aux lights, I used a fog lamp and the other as spot lamp. This combination with halogen bulb and it’s beam pattern is jus a mixture of craziness.

Panzerman, when you say +50, does that signify 50% brighter? I found a +30 bulb but that’s it. Could you please share a link or brand etc? There are a multitude of options and Amazon tells me that the H7 is not compatible with my 2016 R1200R LC although these are 55W bulbs.

I also saw your note on lifting the headlight a bit. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,665 Posts
Panzerman, when you say +50, does that signify 50% brighter? I found a +30 bulb but that’s it. Could you please share a link or brand etc?
+50 or Plus 50, for example is a claimed 50% increase in brightness. Here’s an example.

H7 fits both high and low beams on your LC - believe your riders manual rather than Amazon. 😉

Reactions: home4sale2

·
Registered
260 Posts
@Costa and @home4sale2 - have you adjusted the light to project outwards farther? When I picked up my 2016 from the dealer, the light was pointed down at the ground. Now that I've adjusted it properly I find that the light output is actually pretty good. See my post here for video of some night riding.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have not messed with it so it could be the case. Looking at the bulbs, both bulbs appear to be pointing down relative to the back plane but not sure as I haven’t compared. As for your post, I couldn’t find the video after searching for your specific posts on the thread which by itself has a lot of posts. I have personally resorted to leaving things alone in this case. It appears LED bulbs are only good if they’re designed with housing in mind while there’s a penalty to pay in terms of longevity if I want brightness. With a vstream that I don’t want to remove every time I want to change the bulb, longevity is more important and my aux lights seem to serve the function. I’ll take a look once this bulb fails. Thanks though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
And finally - terrible video of riding up and back down Mt. Wilson....

Up:

Down:

I went back this morning an hour earlier, trying to spot the comet, but again had no luck doing so. It was worth the ride, though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quick update. My low beam bulb went out and it appears the high beam takes over the duties, good to know.

The original is a GE, made in Hungary, lasted me 22000 or so miles. I went with Osram 150% night breaker laser, whatever gimmicky names. Made in Germany. I replaced both and kept the high beam as a spare just in case for a trip this Friday.

I don’t know why but I didn’t expect the headlight unit to be heavy, almost felt like it is worth $700 or whatever they want (well, not really). I have a ztechnik so the mount practically needs to come off. The top two bolts of the mount make it like a vise so might as well loosen them too otherwise you can’t get the light back in.

So I did a rough guess with my car against my garage door and sure enough this light was way too low. I’m carrying my specific tools in case I have to do emergency surgery if I keep getting flashed or dipped as some of you call it.

Can’t wait to try it at night.

By the way I know these bulbs are hot as hell but the headlight glass was quite warm/hot to the touch. I don’t know how the old bulbs were but if I recall some of you run 150% bulbs so I suspect it’s always been like that.

Let’s see how long these last.

Thx for all the help and suggestions as always.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if this helps but for my 13 R12R, which has a H11 bulb, I bought from amazon a Novsight LED set, both dipped bean and high beam. It fit without fuss or hassle and tricked the CAN - no need for resistors. On the road it works really well, much better than the stock halogen. There’s a version for H7 if you search for novsight H7 LED headlight mini.
Not having a LC I cannot say for sure it will work but for my 2013 camhead it’s really good.
RCM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if this helps but for my 13 R12R, which has a H11 bulb, I bought from amazon a Novsight LED set, both dipped bean and high beam. It fit without fuss or hassle and tricked the CAN - no need for resistors. On the road it works really well, much better than the stock halogen. There’s a version for H7 if you search for novsight H7 LED headlight mini.
Not having a LC I cannot say for sure it will work but for my 2013 camhead it’s really good.
RCM
Very nice, Id like to get a link to these. When I search Amazon I get quite a few results, not sure which will work for my 2010 R1200R
Thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quick update. My low beam bulb went out and it appears the high beam takes over the duties, good to know.

The original is a GE, made in Hungary, lasted me 22000 or so miles. I went with Osram 150% night breaker laser, whatever gimmicky names. Made in Germany. I replaced both and kept the high beam as a spare just in case for a trip this Friday.

I don’t know why but I didn’t expect the headlight unit to be heavy, almost felt like it is worth $700 or whatever they want (well, not really). I have a ztechnik so the mount practically needs to come off. The top two bolts of the mount make it like a vise so might as well loosen them too otherwise you can’t get the light back in.

So I did a rough guess with my car against my garage door and sure enough this light was way too low. I’m carrying my specific tools in case I have to do emergency surgery if I keep getting flashed or dipped as some of you call it.

Can’t wait to try it at night.

By the way I know these bulbs are hot as hell but the headlight glass was quite warm/hot to the touch. I don’t know how the old bulbs were but if I recall some of you run 150% bulbs so I suspect it’s always been like that.

Let’s see how long these last.

Thx for all the help and suggestions as always.

Any updates on the Osrams Night Breakers? Any issues withthe BMW warning light messages? Also did you use this model Osram ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts