BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Courtesy of the GS forum
FYI (quoting in summary)
"I stopped to fill the tank and the keyless cap would not open. Fortunately after some fiddling the cap opened and I was able to fill up. However, after filling up I tried to open it a few more times with no luck.
On the way home ... it occurred to me that the mounting hardware for the tank bag (installed by previous owner) uses after market socket head cap screws through the cap flange. It turns out that my problem was mechanical binding from the bag mounting hardware. After backing off the after market screws the cap opens and closes properly with no issues ..."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not so sure the tile of this post is correct?
Seems the problem is related to tank bag mount and different to standard hardware?
My keyless fuel cap has been faultless. Am I fortunate?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sometimes the gas cap on my wife's 2016 does not want to open.
We have the SW Motech tank rings on our bikes and I'm very careful to use very low torque and tighten the fasteners evenly when reinstalling the ring.
If the cap refuses to open you can still open the cap if you remove the two fasteners at the front of the cap.
Carry the two tools needed to remove those fasteners and the tank ring if you have a tank ring.
The small piece I circles will lift off without removing a bodywork.
20210328_142237.jpg

Air Filter Change (5).JPG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can you put in an aftermarket, old-school, screw-in cap on the LC? I did this on my r12r camhead. Not because I love useless mods, but some fuel nozzles in the US have heavy sprung skirts that barely fit and started damaging the hinges of the opening. I can't see why not, but maybe it'll throw errors?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Can you put in an aftermarket, old-school, screw-in cap on the LC? I did this on my r12r camhead. Not because I love useless mods, but some fuel nozzles in the US have heavy sprung skirts that barely fit and started damaging the hinges of the opening. I can't see why not, but maybe it'll throw errors?
I bought a SSR cap but did not like the vent setup. Also the the little lip you grip to turn the cap was difficult for my wife with her arthritis.
She ended up not using it.
It's the same cap as the one in this thread https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?99365-Billet-Fuel-Cap-on-GS-with-keyless-ride

20210323_102044.jpg

Reactions: equ

·
Registered
78 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts