BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I get that Bluetooth is the standard headset used by most. But my friends and I are looking into GMRS 2-way radios with headset attachments. They use a push to talk feature that attaches to handle bars and are cheaper to buy multiple units and we can easily connect a lot of riders for a fraction of the cost of multiple Bluetooth sets. And since they go to hand sets we can talk to cars that may travel with us (for those less keen on riding) and even talk to other cars. That and we can't find a Bluetooth that will let us connect more than a couple or a few riders at a time. Anyone have any experience with these things for motorcycles?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Head sets...

Long ago (sadly) and far away, when my wife was riding along with me, I fitted each of our bikes with a 28MHz CB radio (now long-gone, I suspect, thanks to later devices such as Blue Teeth, etc). Exactly as described by Ninja - push-to-talk button on h'bars, microphone in helmet (just below the bottom of the visor opening), speakers in and on either side of the helmet at ear level.

Range with good quality sound up to a few kilometres in open country, rather less in urban situations, but still adequate if both bikes were not too far apart.

Absolutely invaluable, in our experience, and the ability to chat (briefly) to each other, to other riders so equipped (and many were), and to truckies and others on the same frequency, made our extensive travels so much more interesting, and also added markedly to our mutual safety, I feel: one could warn the other of road damage, road works, when to/ not to overtake, as well as the need to stop for fuel, loo stops, whatever.

We would not have been without them. If the GMRS units that Ninja Dave talks of are anything like ours (but undoubtedly a lot more compact these days) they could only be very worthwhile.

Lawrence of Suburbia

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

Montego Blue 2013 R1200 R: PUIG rear hugger, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler rad guard, blue-tinted Eagle medium touring screen, Abdeckring, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming…

·
Registered
363 Posts
I do not have any experience with the GMRS radio's or their headsets sorry. I use a SENA SMHR10. I would be concerned with the noise canceling ability of the headset microphone as these units to the best of my limited knowledge are not made for use in motorsport applications, this one feature alone is the down fall of even "supposedly" motorsport specific units. Good luck in your search, please keep us updated as to what you find out, Im sure there are many who would like this ability as well.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I have the scala, but couple of the guys I ride with have those 2 way radios.

I can have full telephone conversations with mine but for just a quick talk here and there, road conditions, more people ........ those 2 way radios win, I think at this point, you can even connect your telephone too, so the best of both words.

Chatterbox | Chatterbox USA

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
BIKE TO BIKE COMMUNICATION
Intended Users: Single users or Large Group
Maximum range of communication: 5 Miles
Maximum number of users in communication: Unlimited
Communication method: Two Way
Compatible devices: X1slim, X1BT, X1, X2
RIDER TO PASSENGER COMMUNICATION
Share bike to bike communication with rider
Share music with rider (wired)
BLUETOOTH FEATURES WITH REMOTE CONTROL (AVRCP)
Wirelessly answer phone calls
Wirelessly listen to your music
Wirelessly listen to navigation voice direction
Remote control (AVRCP)
FM Radio feature: YES
GENERAL FEATURES
Battery: Rechargable Li-Ion
Water resistance casing

MSRP: $349.99

Chatterbox X1 slim introduction and overview - YouTube

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK, I get that Bluetooth is the standard headset used by most. But my friends and I are looking into GMRS 2-way radios with headset attachments. They use a push to talk feature that attaches to handle bars and are cheaper to buy multiple units and we can easily connect a lot of riders for a fraction of the cost of multiple Bluetooth sets. And since they go to hand sets we can talk to cars that may travel with us (for those less keen on riding) and even talk to other cars. That and we can't find a Bluetooth that will let us connect more than a couple or a few riders at a time. Anyone have any experience with these things for motorcycles?
Have looked into one of these:

Products - UCLEAR - Advanced Bluetooth Communication Technologies Products

The cheapest I have found them is here:

Uclear WT300 Two-Way Radio | Cli-MAXRidingGear.com

I have the UClear HBC200 bluetooth headset and so far I really like it. No more boom mike to get in the way. I have used it to take and make a couple of calls on my smart phone and it works great. It does not have a FM receiver, but I never used that feature on either my Scala or Whistler.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a Sena SMH 5 which i bought before my Canadian trip last summer. My riding buddy has the SMH 10 (its over double the price of the SMH5) and we used the intercom feature for the weeklong trip. I also stream music via BT and can receive or dial calls as well.

The SMH5 only runs just over $100. Battery life is very good and it recharges in only 2.5 hours. Here are a few pics of the unit off and on my helmet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi!
Can you mount the Sena SMH5 to a BMW System helmet 6?
Has anyone here successfully mounted any Bluetooth set to a System helmet 6 other than the BMW set (which is way too expensive for me)?
Thanks!
Antoncarl

·
Registered
26 Posts
bike radios

I installed a friend's new Chatterbox X1Slim on his helmet yesterday. Was hoping it would be compatible with my old 2-channel Chatterbox system on my old since-retired helmet. No joy. I wear earplugs but travel with Mike a lot and am lukewarm about investing $350 in a compatible unit to talk to him on the road.

I have a Motorola Talkabout MR350 that may be paired with a Uclear outfit that may be compatible with his Chatterbox. Much cheaper but lukewarm about that investment too.

Anybody know about the connectivity between the two?

Mainjet in Colo

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do not have any experience with the GMRS radio's or their headsets sorry. I use a SENA SMHR10. I would be concerned with the noise canceling ability of the headset microphone as these units to the best of my limited knowledge are not made for use in motorsport applications, this one feature alone is the down fall of even "supposedly" motorsport specific units. Good luck in your search, please keep us updated as to what you find out, Im sure there are many who would like this ability as well.
My wife and I use the Sena SMH-10s, too. We love them!

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I installed an SMH-10 on my last helmet for when I'm doing long rides so Lauren can call me to check in on me. Occasionally I used it for music on long rides, but the sound quality and volume with earplugs in wasn't that good. Now I have a new helmet I planned to swap the unit into it. Unfortunately, the sticky stuff on the velcro has lost its stick and peeled off the speakers and microphone :(

I looked at replacing the velcro, but the replacement kits only have the furry stickers, not the grippy bit that is stuck to the actual components. I'm trying to decide whether it is worth the extra wind noise to reinstall the unit or just go with the voices in my head and the exhaust note for company.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello Friends, Here in the UK we have electronic stores called Maplins, which I believe came out of Tandy, a US store group. They do motorbike specific personal communication radios for both bike/pillion and bike to bike. Not tried one but I believe they have a significantly longer range compared to blue tooth. I have a Schuberth C3 helmet, which I believe is the firm which actually make the BMW System helmets. I use the Scala Cardo system, which is bluetooth for rider to rider communication. Good with two riders but less reliable with three or more. The Scala receiver/sender would clip on to my previous helmet but won't fit on to the Schuberth as the rim of the helmet is too thick. You could glue it to the outside but I was reluctant to do that. So in the end I managed to get the communication collar for the C3 secondhand off a website, and it works beautifully, but again, only reliable with one to one. RobA.

·
Registered
824 Posts
noise cancellation ear buds

Do any communication systems use active noise cancellation ear buds instead of helmet speakers? I suppose any system that has a headphone jack would work, it is my understanding that the noise cancellation function is built into the ear buds. Constant noise (like wind noise) is what active noise cancellation really works well against. I have a some Bose QC 15 headphones for air travel and it makes a huge difference, don't have to play music loud to hear it all if the wind and engine noise is substantially reduced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts