BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few months, I’ve been testing several brands of earplugs that offers the best compromise. I’ve tried custom-made types from an audiologist/moulded with little success as I found them too uncomfortable.

Last week's ride I tested - Alphine Motosafe (race/pro) Loop with mute option, Eargasm and Pinlock.

I tried each for over 100km and most wouldn’t stay in place in my ear canal. The Eargasm did stay in and seemed to offer the best sound attenuation, BUT they are very uncomfortable, and after 50km, I had to take them out.

Pinlock wouldn’t stay in and didn’t work too well to reduce noise. I had high hopes for the Loop mute version but me they are a fail to live up to the hype. While not great, the Alpine race version offers a good compromise.

I also tried oto-ease ear plug lubricate - check it out and well worth the small invetsment .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have been using these for many years, I roll them up into a thin sausage and wet them with saliva and they slip right in. The expand and really do a fine job blocking the wind noise. I find that can hear the music and phone calls much better on my SENAs as well. They are cheap and disposable. I swap them put when they don't compress while rolling them up, maybe after 10 rides?

·
Registered
2010 R1200R
14 Posts
I have been using these for many years, I roll them up into a thin sausage and wet them with saliva and they slip right in. The expand and really do a fine job blocking the wind noise. I find that can hear the music and phone calls much better on my SENAs as well. They are cheap and disposable. I swap them put when they don't compress while rolling them up, maybe after 10 rides?

What toddhollander said! The Howard Leight Max Lite earplugs are great. Comfortable, easy to get in and out, cheap, and block plenty of noise but you can still hear what is going on around you. I too splurged on a pair of custom fit musician's ear plugs but I found the foam cheapies just as good if not better.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might try the foam type on my next long trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've been using the pink/white/blue Max Leight's for years, and am currently working on a box of the original pink... But I'm going to have to check out the low pressure green ones mentioned above. On my trip I had to take a break from earplugs, and started using a little pain-relief Neosporin with them for the rest of the trip. It wasn't them going in that hurt, but removing them started to rub my canals a little raw after 3 long riding days.

What I have now:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Additional note: Based on a lot of the reviews for both, I may need to try another brand, as it looks like HL's material s have changed in the last year or so... :(

·
Registered
965 Posts
A rider suggested that I swab my ear canals with antibiotic ointment before inserting my ear buds.

·
Registered
2017 R1200R
53 Posts
I took the custom route and bought a silicone mix from the gun shop at Cabelas. They mold exactly to my ears, are comfortable all day long and reduce wind noise considerably.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A rider suggested that I swab my ear canals with antibiotic ointment before inserting my ear buds.
Not a silly idea. I give my earplugs clean with antiseptic wet wipes after each use. I'm now using the oto-ease. A few years back I got an ear infection (so painful) after a long ride and put it down to contaminated earplugs.

• Helpful
Reactions: filterfool

·
Registered
728 Posts

For many years I used the orange ones but then they started to hurt for some reason.
I switched to the green ones a long time ago and no problems after many more years.
On trips I use them for two or three days then swap to new ones.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use Alpinesafe custom plugs with race filters (25dB noise reduction) when riding on the twisties. For long stretches on the highway/super slab/boring roads I need music, but then helmet speakers are useless so I’ve recently found the holy grail for noise reduction and music quality: a set of earbuds from the Shure Aonic series (up to 37dB noise reduction) paired with the Fiio LC-BT1 Bluetooth cable is where the money is. Or plug the earbuds directly to an intercom (I figured I only need that for music or navigation, so I won’t be buying intercoms again). Passive noise isolation that is better then my custom molded Alpine earbuds with the race filters and outstanding sound quality. I can hear drum kicks and bass sounds at 130km/h or 80 mph on my R without a windshield, they’re all day comfortable and they stay put when putting the helmet on/off.

As for lubricating plugs, I found that placing the plugs in the ears without forcing a few minutes before the ride will do the trick. They’ll just pick the oil that naturally forms inside the ear and then you can do the final insertion adjustment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I tried the Loop Quiet (because they double-up as musician's plugs due to the flatter frequency attenuation), but one side keeps popping out. Otherwise very efficient and comfortable. For me, the foam one are hit and miss - sometimes great, other times not at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried the Loop Quiet (because they double-up as musician's plugs due to the flatter frequency attenuation), but one side keeps popping out. Otherwise very efficient and comfortable. For me, the foam one are hit and miss - sometimes great, other times not at all.
Yes, the same experience with the Loop one side would pop out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I haven’t tested many types, but I’ve used foam ear plugs from the shooting range and they work fine without being uncomfortable. However, I did have a couple of foam pairs with a small string holding them together and the plastic piece that anchors the string can be a pain when the helmet squeezes the ears.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What earplugs do you use @Panzermann?

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
I normally have a cut down Sport screen so air is pretty clean past my helmet up to 80-90 km/h. For occasional higher speeds, I use Alpine filters, although they don’t always seal well. On trips, which include long days, higher speeds, and a bigger screen (hence higher velocities at helmet level) I’ll use foam orange 3M plugs, although they can get a bit uncomfortable after long hours. No perfect solution (until I’m completely deaf …).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use custom made EarInc plugs. They are wired and plug right in to my Sena S20 so I get protection and music when I want it. Once you have the mold made you can reorder if needed at any time. Not very cheap but well worth the extra cost.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts