BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
34 Posts
I tried a few as well, used the Shure for a while but most of the time I can't get them to stay when putting the helmet on. I have a pair of custom ones but one of the connections broke and I have to get them repaired. Good but not ideal are the Etymotic MK5, they stay in place with the foam end bit but they get painful after a while.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
55 Posts
My issue which I guess is common to many of you is that the plugs come loose quickly. I wear glasses and the messing about with getting the glasses on disturbs the seal on the plugs. I also have quite small ear canals. My solution which works pretty well are the softvox plugs. The high attenuation one has a hard central core which allows me to force them into the ear. Alpine are too floppy and just don't go in. I use Otoease' to lubricate them when going in but not too much as it prevents them properly gripping once inserted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got some Shure SE215 earbuds. Great sound reduction with the foam inserts. Can still hear bike and wind, but very muted. Can listen to music at reasonable levels (40-60% of max) At 80-90% of MAX all you hear is music and not hurting ears. Putting Modular helmet on easy. Taking off usually dislodges earbuds some.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,669 Posts
Good Topic MikeS.

I've tried lots of earplugs over the years but always returned to Howard Leight reusable/disposable foam ones. I have small ears (go ahead and joke, you know you want to) and the small lite low-pressure versions work well for me. I use them til they won't compress anymore or get too grody to reuse.

I see, as r0ckrat said, that based on recent Amazon reviews Howard Leight may have changed their earplugs, if so this could be an unfortunate game changer.

There used to be a Howard Leight assortment pack but I'm not finding it anywhere, closest I could find was these (scroll down for more options):

I've tried and rejected the following because they don't work as well for me as the disposables, aren't comfortable or won't go or stay in the ear: Big Ear custom plugs (nice owner, comfy and work great for running noisy yard tools though), Mack's PIllow Soft Silicone earplugs (riding bud liked them though), Isolate Minis (very overpriced), and Skull Screws (these type just don't do squat for me).

I'll consider those $ureFire ones MikeHSG recommended.

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
169 Posts
I've been using the Howard Leight "MaxLite" green foam plugs for many years (actually, I've been working on the same box of 200 pair for a few years...). I wear them all the time when riding any of my bikes other than a 125cc scooter that tops out at about 40 mph. I've had a couple of sets of custom earmolds with transducers for music and I wear them some of the time - usually on longer trips where I'm looking for entertainment, but the disposable plugs work well for me for riding bikes, trapshooting and operating equipment, noisy tools or at a loud concert.

Highly recommend using some form of hearing protection for wind noise - once your hearing is damaged or tinnitus sets in, there is no going back. I work as a sound technician and recording engineer - it would be bad optics to wear a hearing aid...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Agreed. Most of my pals, particularly the ones my age, wear hearing aids. I've been riding motorcycles for more than 50 years, using things like chainsaws, outboards motors, etc, for at least as long, and still have nearly perfect hearing. Even live concerts by the likes of Golden Earring back in the 60's couldn't break through my earplug protection. Luckily for me I was able to withstand the derision back then. I'm pretty soft-spoken, and now my detractors just say "Eh?" when I talk to them 😂

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,669 Posts
. . . Even live concerts by the likes of Golden Earring back in the 60's couldn't break through my earplug protection . . .
Was Golden Earring as loud in concert as they were on the car radio?

. . . now my detractors just say "Eh?" when I talk to them 😂
Another mystery solve-ed.

Cheers!! Dave

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
108 Posts
So, in the left of the picture we have Howard Leight Quiet Uncorded Ear Plugs that come in a box of 50 and each pair can be used several times. Good tight fit but, for me, they become uncomfortable on long journeys as they are quite big and the blue plug is rigid.

On the right of the picture we have NoNoise Motorsport re-useable earplugs. Smaller, so small I pushed them in too far and the wife had to tweezer them out!, but when properly fitted they are very comfortable and block out bad noise, but allow good noise - clever stuff and they do work! Just as well they are re-useable as they are the same price as the box of 50....
Font Plastic Office supplies Carmine Fashion accessory

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks to those who suggested the Howard Leight plugs. I got a box of 200 pairs (😳!) and they are the ugly-as-sin yellow&fuscia (for compliance checks), but they really do a great job of noise reduction. They are nowhere near flat frequency, so no good for music, but for riding, power tools, chainsaws, they would be great. I initially found they really difficult to insert properly because they bunch up in all the wrong ways, but my wife (who knows everything) showed me a fool-proof way to easily insert earplugs (who'd have thought there was a trick to it?).

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,669 Posts
There's lots of videos on how to properly insert foam earplugs, here's a nice short one.

In short, roll it up, reach around with your other hand to pull your ear up & back, then stick it in your ear.

The reach around is key - OK let's keep it clean you guys!

If there's a better way, I'm all ears!

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
6 Posts
After reading a positive review in BMW ON I purchased a set of Earpeace plugs. They provide good noise damping; however, their small length makes them difficult to remove if I get them into my ear canal. A couple time I had to have someone remove them with forceps. They should be made longer, IMHO. I don't want to spend more trying other specialized earplugs. So I'm going back to the tried and true foam plugs, which have always worked well for noice reduction and been comfortable for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I purchased a set of NoNoise to try on my ride yesterday. In terms of comfort, they are about the best I've tested. In terms of noise reduction, I think they’re not as good as the Alpine MotoSafe Tour (that’s purely subjective). But they are a bugger to get out because the end stems are too short. BTW - the Alpine earplugs while being my preferred reusable option still are not great as they seem to come loose if I don't take extra care to make certain they are seated properly (more so than others Ibe tried).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good Topic MikeS.

I've tried lots of earplugs over the years but always returned to Howard Leight reusable/disposable foam ones. I have small ears (go ahead and joke, you know you want to) and the small lite low-pressure versions work well for me. I use them til they won't compress anymore or get too grody to reuse.

I see, as r0ckrat said, that based on recent Amazon reviews Howard Leight may have changed their earplugs, if so this could be an unfortunate game changer.

There used to be a Howard Leight assortment pack but I'm not finding it anywhere, closest I could find was these (scroll down for more options):

I've tried and rejected the following because they don't work as well for me as the disposables, aren't comfortable or won't go or stay in the ear: Big Ear custom plugs (nice owner, comfy and work great for running noisy yard tools though), Mack's PIllow Soft Silicone earplugs (riding bud liked them though), Isolate Minis (very overpriced), and Skull Screws (these type just don't do squat for me).

I'll consider those $ureFire ones MikeHSG recommended.

Cheers! Dave
Thanks for the link to those trial packs of earplugs Dave. Exactly what I was looking for to find the best inexpensive plugs.

·
Registered
2020 BMW r1250r - Pollux trim
14 Posts
I second Earpeace
MOTO Original

They fit me well and are comfortable. you have a choice of 3 different filters (I always use the strongest for riding and the weakest for shows). It protects well without completely distorting the sound so you are still aware of your surroundings and use the com.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
199 Posts
Even live concerts by the likes of Golden Earring back in the 60's couldn't break through my earplug protection
A little sidestep from the topic, with your permission (hopefully):

Great that our great Dutch pride is mentioned here! I have had the pleasure to see them performing live multiple times.
Unsure if the news was brought worldwide, but early 2021 the band was ended because George Kooymans suffers from ALS disease.
All members decided they did not want to continue without George.
They have been active and successful for 60 years! They were often referred to as "The Dutch Rolling Stones".

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
A little sidestep from the topic, with your permission (hopefully):

Great that our great Dutch pride is mentioned here! I have had the pleasure to see them performing live multiple times.
Unsure if the news was brought worldwide, but early 2021 the band was ended because George Kooymans suffers from ALS disease.
All members decided they did not want to continue without George.
They have been active and successful for 60 years! They were often referred to as "The Dutch Rolling Stones".
No need to ask permission! Although I'm thoroughly Canadian, among my many ancestors are Joris and Catalina Rapelje, who were in the first group of settlers in New Netherland, leaving Amsterdam and arriving in the New World in 1624. Their daughter Sarah, who is the first child of European parents born in New Amsterdam, is my 7th great-aunt.

I don't remember the date of the first time I saw Golden Earring, but it was early 1970's. Who remembers the '70s? 😂😂

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
199 Posts
I don't remember the date of the first time I saw Golden Earring, but it was early 1970's. Who remembers the '70s? 😂😂
I do, but I was too young for Radar Love (1973), which was most likely the first Earring song to travel the pond.

Reactions: sturgeon and mikeS
21 - 39 of 39 Posts