BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really like my 2013 R1200R, but one thing I believe is missing is heated seats.
I purchased a heated seat pad off the internet for about $35 Australian. Although it is designed for a car seat, I found with a bit of adaption it works well on my bike.
I fitted two straps on the front, which slip over the front of the seat and a picture hook tied on with elastic, on either side at the back of the pad, clipping under the seat. This way the heat pad is easily fitted and removed in about 30 seconds.
The heated pad came with a plug for a cigarette lighter, which I removed and connected a BMW plug to go in the socket, this way the heat pad turns off when the key is off.
Yesterday was the first time I have really been able to test it properly in cold weather and it works well, although it did only get down to 6 degrees celcius. It was nice to ride to work, 50 kilometres away, and have a warm butt.
Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
I really like my 2013 R1200R, but one thing I believe is missing is heated seats.
I purchased a heated seat pad off the internet for about $35 Australian. Although it is designed for a car seat, I found with a bit of adaption it works well on my bike.
I fitted two straps on the front, which slip over the front of the seat and a picture hook tied on with elastic, on either side at the back of the pad, clipping under the seat. This way the heat pad is easily fitted and removed in about 30 seconds.
The heated pad came with a plug for a cigarette lighter, which I removed and connected a BMW plug to go in the socket, this way the heat pad turns off when the key is off.
Yesterday was the first time I have really been able to test it properly in cold weather and it works well, although it did only get down to 6 degrees celcius. It was nice to work 50 kilometres away.
I like the heated handgrips on my 2015 R1200R. With heated grips and brush guards to keep the wind off my hands, I have ridden in sub-freezing conditions without even plugging in my Gerbing heated gloves. While a heated seat sounds great, I have found that if I dress so that my legs are warm that I didn't feel the need for a heated seat. But if I had one, I'd probably wonder how I rode in the winter without it.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I ordered a $17 seat heater kit of off ebay. My Russel Myer seat needed recovering any way, so I had the upholsterer incorporate the heater grid under the front of the seat.

The wiring harness was pretty much plug and play. I mounted the off/hi/low switch by the auxiliary electrical plug.

Now I have warm hands and a warm tush whenever I want. Just like the RT guys. 😁

Stay safe.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hooked my heated seat pad into my EzCan. With version 2 you can program a channel for heated gear so it comes on with the heated grips button. You only get high/low but it's pretty convenient.

I only wish the wonderwheel was better at controlling heated gear. It would be nice to have variable adjustment but it's hard to tell when you've activated change and the change increments are hit and miss. It's fiddly and annoying.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,183 Posts
I'm sure most everyone knows this, but keeping your core warm with a heated vest or jacket liner is key. If the core is warm, the body will push heat to the extremities; if the core is cold, the body will pull heat from the extremities.

Having said that, yeah I'm a big heated grip fan too, always wondered about a heated seat though.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
13 Posts
that's a nice set up for your posterior. for keeping warm I've recently got a "Warm n Safe" heated shirt liner. you wear it as a shirt and believe me it's not only warm it can be too hot (for me) when turned all the way up. it draws less voltage and amps than a heated jacket liner and is much warmer. so far I'm not in love with the heated grips and still prefer my heated gloves. I got the shirt liner for using with my old '83 R80RT, which as some of you may know is low on extra electrical power and a jacket liner with gloves would kill the battery over time. I rode a good 4 hours with shirt and gloves on mid power with no ill affects to my battery on the old girl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts