BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pay attention to when you start the bike. I've had the same issue on my '13. Some mornings, the grips just wouldn't turn on. I'd have to turn the ignition off completely, let it reset, then fire it back up. There seems to be a problem with the CANBUS. If the grips are on when starting (or you turn them on before diagnostic check), the CANBUS seems to think there's a short. The solution is to turn the ignition to on, let it cycle for 30 seconds, then fire up the engine. Once the engine is running, then turn the grip heaters on. Sounds wonky, but didn't have any issues after but I only got to check it out for a short time before putting the bike in storage for overseas move. The dealership tested it out under various conditions to figure that one out. They didn't really have a solution other than that. There were no failures with any of the tests they ran.
This is an old thread, but I'm giving it a bump since I'm experiencing the same issue. Cycling the ignition does allow the grip heaters to start working again. Motoscan reports error codes A338 (right grip) and A33A (left grip), both with low voltage. Battery is only a couple of years old and tests fine.

I saw some posts on other threads suggesting checking the grip connections. I'm curious to know whether there are any other ideas out there.

Thanks, all.

Rob

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is an old thread, but I'm giving it a bump since I'm experiencing the same issue. Cycling the ignition does allow the grip heaters to start working again. Motoscan reports error codes A338 (right grip) and A33A (left grip), both with low voltage. Battery is only a couple of years old and tests fine.

I saw some posts on other threads suggesting checking the grip connections. I'm curious to know whether there are any other ideas out there.

Thanks, all.

Rob
Rob,

I get those same codes. Almost every time I check I have them because I inadvertently leave the grips on. It's annoying but I think it's the CANBUS itself, not the grips. I've had heated grips on a few other bikes that didn't have that problem including a BMW 650. The dealership I took it too told me they checked the grips and found nothing wrong for what that's worth. They're only solution was to not turn the grip heaters on until after the bike is started and I've had no failures following that procedure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Rob,

I get those same codes. Almost every time I check I have them because I inadvertently leave the grips on. It's annoying but I think it's the CANBUS itself, not the grips. I've had heated grips on a few other bikes that didn't have that problem including a BMW 650. The dealership I took it too told me they checked the grips and found nothing wrong for what that's worth. They're only solution was to not turn the grip heaters on until after the bike is started and I've had no failures following that procedure.
Thanks. That seems like a straightforward solution. Just one more thing to add to my pre-ride mental checklist!

Rob

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks. That seems like a straightforward solution. Just one more thing to add to my pre-ride mental checklist!

Rob
Yep! And yet I still find myself riding on a balmy 40 degree day (Fahrenheit) without grip heaters because I forgot to shut them off when I parked the bike... 🤦‍♂️

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
only solution was to not turn the grip heaters on until after the bike is started and I've had no failures following that procedure.
Seems like a logic fault in the chassis computer firmware. You’re not missing a firmware update are you?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seems like a logic fault in the chassis computer firmware. You’re not missing a firmware update are you?
How does one check the firmware status, Panzermann? Does it require a direct dealer connection to the quantum supercomputer in the Vaterland?

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
How does one check the firmware status ...
Interrogation by a GS911 should show the firmware version, I’d think, but you’d only know if it was the latest by comparison with other owners. The only other option is to get your dealer to hook the bike up as you described.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interrogation by a GS911 should show the firmware version, I’d think, but you’d only know if it was the latest by comparison with other owners. The only other option is to get your dealer to hook the bike up as you described.
Interesting. I'll make a point to check my firmware version next time I have a chance and have the GS911 out. Would be interesting to rule that out.

It is weird that only the grip heaters do that. I can leave my phone plugged in (powered by acc circuit used for BMW GPS) through start up and don't have issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting. I'll make a point to check my firmware version next time I have a chance and have the GS911 out. Would be interesting to rule that out.

It is weird that only the grip heaters do that. I can leave my phone plugged in (powered by acc circuit used for BMW GPS) through start up and don't have issues.
I jinx'd myself... :) Turns out sometimes if my phone is on my wireless charger during startup, the canbus will kill the circuit. Just noticed it happened today... Twice. Once when I left for work (which I didn't notice) and happened when getting ready to leave work (which I did catch).

21 - 29 of 29 Posts