BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day All,

Quick introduction;
Successfully undertook BMW apprenticeship in Sydney and Berlin, owned a R60/5, then R90S.

Actively involved with race preparation on BMW's for Castrol 6 hr production race bikes in 70's, then ran my own Yamaha TZ & OW race team until 1979.
Studied Mechanical Engineering and Science at UTS in Sydney, and perhaps strangely have been in IT for the past 30 years. (Lots of grad engineers seem to have taken this plunge!)

My company xenonOz, designs and manufactures HID xenon products and is also the Clearwater Lighting Asia Pacific distributor.

If anyone has any lighting questions, I'll do my best to help.

About to purchase a R1200R, or should I wait for a water cooled model?

Thanks and Best Wishes to you all, Frank

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Wow. Go to the head of the class, mate. We'll be asking *you questions :). I wouldn't wait for the water cooled engine. One poster said he knew of a GS engine that failed in the first 250 miles and some of the magazine writers have said that there is a bit of a midrange power dip in the waterboxer that the air/oil R doesn't have.

And when you get your R.....let us know which Clearwater LEDs go with it and whether you know of an LED front headlight replacement :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
should I wait for a water cooled model?
no, dance with the one that brought you.
There will always be something new on the horizon and the oil/hex heads got your attention.

John

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
About to purchase a R1200R, or should I wait for a water cooled model?/QUOTE]

Greetings from sunny Queensland Frank - and welcome.

DO NOT WAIT for the water-cooled R. My betting is that the Roadster will be the last cab off the rank when it comes to being updated with the wasser-motor, for the simple reason that the R is the poorer seller of the remaining classic boxer twins. It was the last to receive the dohc motor some time back. The RT will surely be next with the new engine, after the GS.

Enjoy the bike - I'm now on my third, and loving it still!

L of S

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
WELCOME to the Forum Frankxoz. Looking forward to your posts. NO!!! Do not wombat & wait for the liquid cooled Roadster. You'll be waiting a long time for your Tucker. Come on in, the water's fine. Get a Camhead now and enjoy riding and discussing them with us. Let the GS boys find all the unforseen design flaws,while we enjoy the simplicity of air and oil cooling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered a new R1200R today - light silver, with panniers and GPS. Only problem is I'm OS on business for the next month, so I won't be riding it until late May....!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
:angry:Late May? That's too bad! Winter sucks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes well - beggars can't be chosers I suppose! Anyway - nice present to come home to from OS, under any weather.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Ahh...if us New Zealanders down in the South Island are still riding in May, May in NSW must be getting just comfortable to ride in....have a nice trip overseas..even if it is business

1 - 10 of 10 Posts