BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here.
I don't currently own an R1200R but am considering one and am doing research prior to making the move.
I've been riding since I was 15 and currently own a 1999 Honda VFR. The 5th gen VFR is an iconic bike (and the oldest bike I've ever owned) but now that I'm 65, my hips and knees aren't as jazzed about the experience as they once were. I was drawn to the RnineT because it looks awesome but as I read review after review, the R1200R seemed like it would be a better fit for me. I think a 2017 or 2018 will possibly be my target bike but they are expensive and fairly rare here in Canada. I won't be buying until the spring but thought I would join this forum and ask questions in the meanwhile.

· Registered
49 Posts
Welcome (from a fellow Canadian member)! I only recently joined the group, as I bought my r1200r in the spring, and I'm very happy with my (somewhat lucky) choice! I'm sure the more senior members here will provide more guidance and advice (this forum is the best!)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My most recent bikes were a Suzuki SV650, Yamaha FJR1300 and this VFR I mentioned. All great bikes. the 5th gen VFR has a sweet 800cc V-four with gear driven cams. With an aftermarket can, it sounds like a Nascar V8 on full boil.
I swapped bikes with my son this summer and rode his Yamaha FZ-09 for a few weeks. I think that spoiled my VFR experience. It had tons of power and the riding position was much more to my liking.
Sounds like the R1200R fits the same description. Plus, I've always been intrigued by the boxer twin.

· Registered
2012 R1200R
186 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You may first want to check cycle-ergo.com, it will give riding positions of various bikes and allows you to compare. It looks like a R1200R and FZ09 have a similar riding triangle and the VFR is a bit different.

· Registered
327 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Canadian (Toronto). Have put 50k on my 2017 R so let me know if you have any questions. A friend of mine also has a 2018. I do most of my service.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum. You may first want to check cycle-ergo.com, it will give riding positions of various bikes and allows you to compare. It looks like a R1200R and FZ09 have a similar riding triangle and the VFR is a bit different.

I have checked out that site. I'm going to the bike show this winter and actually sit on bikes for a better idea. My VFR has raised bars and lowered pegs but the reach to the bars is still more than I would like. My old FJR was too top heavy and tall for me. The VFR is a bit too tall as well because it has an aftermarket shock installed. I've got a 30-inch inseam so any bike will be a reach (unless I get a cruiser) but I am used to the tip toe method of short guy riding. The SV650 was the best fit. Felt like it was made of balsa wood after getting off one of the other bikes. Very flickable.
Sigh...first world problems.

· Registered
197 Posts
Welcome Zolton!
Yes, I had a Sprint ST that was just awesome, very similar to the VFR and I too, had to move on to a more upright bike. I don't like weight on my wrists or feeling like I have to hold my head up.

My R bike has bar risers and peg lowering and still, I find i'm up against the tank or my arms are pretty straight. But it's well within the realm of livable and every other aspect of the bike and riding is sublime. See if you can do a test ride. Renting is another option and would really tell you whether or not the bike is for you.

· Registered
15 Posts
Welcome Zolton!
I use the same tip toe method of short guy riding as yourself and have owned a MT09 and an FJR. As the FJR got older it seemed to get heavier. So I was looking for something a bit lighter and something to do the occasional tour on, but had similar power and torque as the MT-09. I settled on a used 2017 BMW 1200 with a low seat which allowed me to have both feet flat on the ground but felt a little cramped on long tours. I had approx 50000km trouble free run on that bike and in May this year upgraded to a low km R 1250 (with the standard seat height for more comfort). Love both bikes but I find the 1250 more refined with a little more grunt, and I much prefer the standard seat height even though I am back to the tip toe method.
Cheers

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BarneyR.

The FJR I had was used for riding 2 up on weeklong trips with my wife and loaded side/top cases. So that much weight with that high a center of gravity lead to some real tense tip-toe moments on occasion. If you weren't perfectly balance at a stop, you were going over.

I much prefer the 1250 but just recently retired and it may be a tad beyond my reach financially. If I could find a good deal on a used one, I may bite the bullet and go for it. I have a tendency to upsell myself when it comes to things like this and knowing that they are just that much more refined than the 1200 might be the factor that wins me over. However, a nice used R1250R might be hard to come by in these parts. Fingers crossed.

What I've learned thus far;
-The LC would be the better choice of R1200R
-Of the 2015 to 2018 1200's, the 2017 and 2018 models have a slightly improved gearbox.
-The 2019 and on 1250 is superior to the previous 1200

My FJR had a gearbox that would clack heavily into 2nd gear from 1st and it really bothered me. It was a known issue with some FJRs but really wasn't a drastic fault. I took apart the clutch assembly and soaked the clutch plates (was an owner's forum recommended fix) but the issue remained. So, the slightly improved gearbox in the 2017-2018 R1200R wins me over.

· Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
630 Posts
I was drawn to the RnineT because it looks awesome but as I read review after review, the R1200R seemed like it would be a better fit for me. I think a 2017 or 2018 will possibly be my target bike but they are expensive and fairly rare here in Canada. I won't be buying until the spring but thought I would join this forum and ask questions in the meanwhile.
I testrode a R9T this last summer, and while it was okay, the ergos felt a bit odd...felt short between seat and tank and the bars felt overly wide. It also lacked the zip of the R -- though was surprisingly spritely in its own right -- so would definitely not, to me, be a suitable contender for everything the R offers. They're undeniably cool-looking, though.

If you're considering a 2018 R1200R, you may want to give some thought to stretching the budget just a bit more and consider a '20 R1250R. Those who have ridden both the R1200R and the newer R1250R with the ShiftCam, etc. will suggest it's a notable upgrade.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're considering a 2018 R1200R, you may want to give some thought to stretching the budget just a bit more and consider a '20 R1250R. Those who have ridden both the R1200R and the newer R1250R with the ShiftCam, etc. will suggest it's a notable upgrade.
You skipped the year 2019. Was there a reason for that? Wasn't that a 1250 as well?

· Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
630 Posts
You skipped the year 2019. Was there a reason for that? Wasn't that a 1250 as well?
In the UK I believe it was, but in the States 2020 was the first year. I didn’t notice that you were from Canada. No idea which side of the coin Canada falls on…probably the former, I’d guess. But, yes, whether it’s a one- or two-year stretch, I would suggest it’d be well worth just a bit more $$.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts