BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

Glad to join this forum and the wealth of knowledge on the R1250R. After 3 x GSes (1200 LC, 1200 Triple Black, 1250rallye HP) which I put on a combined 100k miles on on/off-road, I wanted a smaller and more nimble road-focused bike with the same pull/drive/torque(!) of the 1250 motor. I had tried the RS but found the handling to be slower and less inspiring compared to the GS (mainly because of the GSes shorter final drive ratio and different geo). And then I saw that the R had a far shorter wheelbase compared to the RS but the same longer final drive ratios for more relaxed cruising (I often found myself looking for the 7th gear on the GS when doing fast road work). The gear ratios of the RS were great for fast road work, but the long wheel base did not make it a fun bike to hustle and flicflac through traffic.

The decision was made when my GS had the TFT, Nav6, and Akra stolen. Cost to replace/repair was 3k when I called up BMW. Then they said, it is month end and can do a deal on a new bike but it has to be registered in the next 48hrs, and the bike must be in stock. “What’s in stock?” I asked…
Cost to change from my 3 year old GS for a brand new R was only 2k - less than the cost of repairing the damage. Deal was done! And I hadn’t even ridden the R yet when I signed the deal, although on-paper stats suggested it would be bang-on-the-money for what I was looking for.
I have been brilliantly surprised by the R. The lack of weight means it has even better drive from the 1250 than either the GS or RS. It pulls like a scalded locomotive! And the short wheelbase makes it huge fun through the twisties. It is a big hearted 105lb/ft twisting motor in a compact chassis with all the modcons. Being naked, it helps keep my speed down.

A few improvements to make it my own - a fun machine with some practicalities:
  • Swapped the oem PR4s for new Dunlop Mutants - great for light greenlaning when necessary and still very sticky on tarmac with a more responsive front tyre profile.
  • Matt Xpel PPF and had it ceramic coated.
  • Remus Black Hawk exhaust with baffle out - a great noise to be ‘seen’ and crackles on the overrun.
  • BMW High Sports seat for better ergos so I’m not sat ‘in’ the bike and knees are stretched out better.
  • Mudsling to protect the rear shock.
  • BMW oem Nano LED auxlights for brighter integrated lighting.
  • MachineArt foglight carriers to keep the lighting inboard.
  • Anti-vibe wireless charging Quadlock.
  • Wunderlich radiator grill protection.
  • Evo-Tech front engine guard.
  • Wunderlich screen mount with scoop.
  • Tinted BMW sports flyscreen.
  • MRA Tour X-screen to improve airflow.
Also, although it is the outgoing matt pollux Exclusive model (gold forks a must!), BMW updated the software and it now has the Sports display option from the HP model which is nice.

Looking forward to learning more on this forum!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive parking light Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. £2k, excellent deal for a new Roadster.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
Welcome spareparts! Gorgeous R1250R!

I have an '18 R12GS Rallye and love it. Would love another R12R but not giving up the GS for now. Individual choice for sure. The R will do off-road just fine.

Enjoy your new ride!!

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: spareparts

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings and welcome to the forum. £2k, excellent deal for a new Roadster.
Thanks Dave - I thought so too given the warranty was nearly up, and the GS had led a tough life over the 25k miles or so doing lots offroad and certainly doesn't sound as smooth/refined as the new R. Managed to sell a few bits off her too to recoup some of the 2k.

Welcome spareparts! Gorgeous R1250R!

I have an '18 R12GS Rallye and love it. Would love another R12R but not giving up the GS for now. Individual choice for sure. The R will do off-road just fine.

Enjoy your new ride!!

Cheers, Dave
Cheers Dave! I love the green and gold - a classic combo that never goes out of style - especially for a roadster! I will almost certainly get another GS - but maybe later next year ahead of some bigger offroad trips I am thinking of/planning to do. And yes, I agree the R will be fine for light greenlaning - I'm just waiting on some cam covers to arrive which will be going on soon. I decided against crash bars on the R just because I prefer the aesthetics without them.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
54 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Beautiful R, I think I may need to get one of those new LC versions. Beautiful GS too, love the paint scheme with the gold rims.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
410 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride, and securing one heckuva good deal on it. I have the same bike -- the '20 Pollux -- minus all the goodies you've put on, and it's been the most enjoyable two summers of riding I've ever had.

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum. Beautiful R, I think I may need to get one of those new LC versions. Beautiful GS too, love the paint scheme with the gold rims.
Thank you for the welcome. The low and midrange pull from the 1250 motor is a huge step up from the 1200LC and even more so the oil/camhead 1200. It's as 'smooth' (if a boxer twin ever can be!) with plenty of torque to really punch through any road condition. And where the 1200LC becomes asthmatic at the top end, the 1250 just carries on with bigger lungs.

Congratulations on your new ride, and securing one heckuva good deal on it. I have the same bike -- the '20 Pollux -- minus all the goodies you've put on, and it's been the most enjoyable two summers of riding I've ever had.
Thanks - it seemed like a no-brainer and good opportunity to try something new and more appropriate to what I was looking for: a slightly smaller, lighter, more manageable bike. This was as much to do with me losing 30kg in weight the past 3 years due to just getting on a fitness routine.

Congrats, but I have to be honest..I think that headlight is hideous. What were they thinking!
I think the bike would look so much better with a nicer shaped headlight.
Ha! Well it is certainly better than the old wonky dual headlights BMW released with the original S1000 series...

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
71 Posts
Greetings all!

Glad to join this forum and the wealth of knowledge on the R1250R. After 3 x GSes (1200 LC, 1200 Triple Black, 1250rallye HP) which I put on a combined 100k miles on on/off-road, I wanted a smaller and more nimble road-focused bike with the same pull/drive/torque(!) of the 1250 motor. I had tried the RS but found the handling to be slower and less inspiring compared to the GS (mainly because of the GSes shorter final drive ratio and different geo). And then I saw that the R had a far shorter wheelbase compared to the RS but the same longer final drive ratios for more relaxed cruising (I often found myself looking for the 7th gear on the GS when doing fast road work). The gear ratios of the RS were great for fast road work, but the long wheel base did not make it a fun bike to hustle and flicflac through traffic.

The decision was made when my GS had the TFT, Nav6, and Akra stolen. Cost to replace/repair was 3k when I called up BMW. Then they said, it is month end and can do a deal on a new bike but it has to be registered in the next 48hrs, and the bike must be in stock. “What’s in stock?” I asked…
Cost to change from my 3 year old GS for a brand new R was only 2k - less than the cost of repairing the damage. Deal was done! And I hadn’t even ridden the R yet when I signed the deal, although on-paper stats suggested it would be bang-on-the-money for what I was looking for.
I have been brilliantly surprised by the R. The lack of weight means it has even better drive from the 1250 than either the GS or RS. It pulls like a scalded locomotive! And the short wheelbase makes it huge fun through the twisties. It is a big hearted 105lb/ft twisting motor in a compact chassis with all the modcons. Being naked, it helps keep my speed down.

A few improvements to make it my own - a fun machine with some practicalities:
  • Swapped the oem PR4s for new Dunlop Mutants - great for light greenlaning when necessary and still very sticky on tarmac with a more responsive front tyre profile.
  • Matt Xpel PPF and had it ceramic coated.
  • Remus Black Hawk exhaust with baffle out - a great noise to be ‘seen’ and crackles on the overrun.
  • BMW High Sports seat for better ergos so I’m not sat ‘in’ the bike and knees are stretched out better.
  • Mudsling to protect the rear shock.
  • BMW oem Nano LED auxlights for brighter integrated lighting.
  • MachineArt foglight carriers to keep the lighting inboard.
  • Anti-vibe wireless charging Quadlock.
  • Wunderlich radiator grill protection.
  • Evo-Tech front engine guard.
  • Wunderlich screen mount with scoop.
  • Tinted BMW sports flyscreen.
  • MRA Tour X-screen to improve airflow.
Also, although it is the outgoing matt pollux Exclusive model (gold forks a must!), BMW updated the software and it now has the Sports display option from the HP model which is nice.

Looking forward to learning more on this forum!

View attachment 113583
Welcome, and I am with you on the look and sound of the Remus. I was also interested to read your comments on the tyres as they look better than stock and clearly work - I am considering the Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp as they have a neat looking tread pattern, but perhaps I now have another option!

Regards, Pete.

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum spareparts. (y) Where are you?
J2 M4 - on the approach to West London from Heathrow. Often found heading either northwest towards Oxfordshire or southwest towards Surrey. How about you?

Welcome, and I am with you on the look and sound of the Remus. I was also interested to read your comments on the tyres as they look better than stock and clearly work - I am considering the Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp as they have a neat looking tread pattern, but perhaps I now have another option!

Regards, Pete.
The Mutants really prove to me how much tyres have moved on over the last couple years. It feels like we can have our cake and eat it nowadays - long life, sticky, responsive, feelsome, quiet, and able to handle the cold, wet, and even gravel/light offroad all in one.
And by the way - your bike in your avatar looks mega! Proper menacing (y) #darthvadarsbike

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
. . . And by the way - your bike in your avatar looks mega! Proper menacing (y) #darthvadarsbike
And here's how PeteG's Triple Black VaderCycle got that way:

YUM!

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And here's how PeteG's Triple Black VaderCycle got that way:

YUM!

Cheers, Dave
Thanks for sharing the link. It is fantastic! Has got me thinking now… :unsure::ROFLMAO:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts