BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I currently own a 2007 Honda Rebel and I've been riding for about three months. I will be upgrading myself to an R1200R here in the next month or two, so I wanted to join this forum to get myself up to speed on the bike.

A little about me: I've been in the Navy for eleven years, and I will be getting out in July of next year. I usually don't post too much or ask too many questions; I know how to use the "search" feature and I can usually find the answers I'm looking for in that manner.

I look forward to learning more about the people here and this great bike!

Thanks,

DJ Fission

·
Registered
800 Posts
Wow! that's a major jump up.... the Rebel to the R1200R... Five times the displacement, over five times the horsepower, only 200 lbs heavier. You are either in for a treat or you're gonna need your britches laundered after the test ride!

Bob

·
Registered
338 Posts
Congrats and welcome. You'll love the bike the more you ride it. I took a 12 year riding break after racing moto cross 250's and had a KLR650. I absolutely love my R1200R. I bought it last year in March and by the time it went into hibernation on the last day of Nov 2012 I was only 70 miles short of 10K miles.

Happy Riding

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Welcome. The R1200R is a very easy bike to ride. Once on the move the weight disappears and it's very stable going round bends. You will love it.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Welcome DJ,
Now, let me give you some advice, don't go out taking/sharing pictures of your sunny roads during winter like Yonderbob.

Please

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Only a few months and we'll all be at it. :001_cool:

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
OK... I'm asking !:001_tongue: +1 Post some pictures of that brand new machine in sunny Eff Ell Lay. Bikini girls, touristas, bar flies, whatever. Bring it!
Sorry Hoshiko.:devil2:

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked her up on Saturday! Her name is Sabine (after Sabine Schmitz).

Already put 200 miles on her...nice smooth ride. I love it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Worst mileage when she was brand new & just breaking in was 37mpg.
Average is now 47mpg almost always. Seldom varies much.
Best mileage ever on a highway trip with mountain passes 57mpg. Just that once.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worst mileage when she was brand new & just breaking in was 37mpg.
Average is now 47mpg almost always. Seldom varies much.
Best mileage ever on a highway trip with mountain passes 57mpg. Just that once.
I'm looking forward to the higher gas milage after the break-in period. I used to get almost 60 mpg on my Rebel that I traded in.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I'm looking forward to the higher gas milage after the break-in period. I used to get almost 60 mpg on my Rebel that I traded in.
How many miles before the break in period is "over" and we can see better gas mileage?

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Breaking in supposed to be at 600 miles, I feel that mine kind of stabilized on the fuel and oil consumption around 1500-2000 miles.
If the weather doesn't go too crazy I might be able to get those miles on my bike next week :). Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts