BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove 2 hours today to test drive the new F800GT with all intentions of buying, but also drove an R1200R and after going back and forth, the R won me over. I guess the overall comfort, versatility, and feel of the R was just more of what I was looking for in my next bike. The GT was a great ride, but didn't seem as refined as the R. Thankfully the R was used so it was actually less money than the GT, so the wallet was relieved as well. The guys at Capitol BMW in Raleigh were top notch. Glad to be back in the BMW owners fold!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Welcome to the Roadster forum TJB-NC. Glad you found the deal you wanted. Riding season is upon us. You're going to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have to say hello as I'm not too far from you. I bought a 2008 a few months ago. Took it in for service at Capitol recently. I agree with your positive comments -- they're busy but manage to be informative and helpful. When you get a chance we'd love to see pics of the new ride!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I don't really know why dealerships never have Rs on the floor, every person who go for a test of anything else and then test the R, ends up buying the R.

It happened to me:10:

·
Registered
10 Posts
TJB-NC, Griffi, Hey all, glad you guys also have R's! Wife and I brought home a pair of them from Capitol in February! Garrett and the whole team at Capitol took GREAT care of us! Gave us a smokin deal, and Scott (one of the mechanics) even stayed late so we could uncrate them ourselves after I got off work the day they came in! Just an FYI, Steve (one of the salesmen) at the dealership is working on putting together a road ride from the dealership to Southport for a shrimp lunch!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Quite a few NC residents here on the Roadster Forum. I'm a native Tarheel myself. Carry on, mates.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I drove 2 hours today to test drive the new F800GT with all intentions of buying, but also drove an R1200R and after going back and forth, the R won me over. I guess the overall comfort, versatility, and feel of the R was just more of what I was looking for in my next bike. The GT was a great ride, but didn't seem as refined as the R.
An exact duplicate of my story, although it was with the GT predecessor, the 800ST. I rode both and felt the R was more stable, felt more significant and over all more refined. I ended up ordering an R though to get the equipment I wanted.

Congrats and welcome, happy riding. :)

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
An exact duplicate of my story...
And this is exactly what happened to me, too! Moving on from a 1200GS I waited impatiently for the GT to be released, but after an uninspiring test-ride decided to go back to the 1200 R, now my third of this line.

Looking at the bike – which despite its family connection to the GS doesn’t appear anything like as intimidating as that undeniably b-i-g bike does - I feel very pleased with myself: for only a few hundred dollars more than I’d have paid for the GT I think I have a superior road bike and certainly one with more rewarding on-road performance. It is – as they say – quite a lot of bike for the buck! Certainly, not everybody’s cup of tea as far as looks and styling may be concerned, but I’ve always much preferred naked bikes to faired ones, and this R1200 R certainly is naked!

The BMW F800 GT most definitely is a very attractive bike with some nice features, but after riding the R again I’m convinced that in time I’d have become dissatisfied with the relatively lack-lustre performance of the GT – but I’m sure it will find its niche and will satisfy very many people.

But in honesty I must also say that when I went to the dealer to complete the paperwork for the new R there was a Graphite GT on the floor, and for one brief moment I wondered if I should have bought that instead…!

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am at the other end of the state near TN and had made up my to purchase the R (subject to test ride) which is hard to do as few dealers have them for testing and others don't have them at all. One friend suggested I "seriously" consider the GT even though he rides a 1200GS. I try the GT, but it would not have swayed me from my Vstrom. I met someone who introduced me to a friend of his who has an R and willingly let me ride it. That's all it took. Several dealers could have been the seller had they let me ride one as I would have bought on the spot. Their loss...........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts